Author Topic: a collector's dream  (Read 4718 times)

Offline cachalote

• x
  • Playmo Master
a collector's dream
« on: August 28, 2006, 22:02:41 »
 ???
i started to think about this after redaing another topic -  http://www.playmofriends.com/forum/index.php?topic=936.0.
richard produced an e.mail contact  - andrea_schauer@playmobil.de - of someone that apparently works at playmobil.
maybe she sees what is said in this forum.
 :)
anyway, what i wanted to say is that i have some playmobil collector dreams.
one of them has to do with the repetition of figures.
as i tend to buy all the pirates that are made, i have a lot of repeated figures.
the 4917 egg, for example, duplicates the 4581 "pirate with skull" special.
there are a lot of other examples, of course.
my dream is that this stops and that playmobil starts to produce totally new figures each time a new set appears.

what about your dreams?
    honni soit qui mal y pense

Offline Sir Gareth

• Playmo Addict
Re: a collector's dream
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2006, 20:16:47 »
 I couldn't agree more, I would like to see more different figures in themes like there used to be.

It's the figures that I like the most in the themes that I collect and when Playmobil brought out the new look Knights in 1993 the sets that followed gave us over 100 different figures and only a couple of sets had figures repeated in them (3887 assault tower and 3888 castle defense).

Unlike today all of the newer Knights, Viking and Barbarian sets are made up of just a handfull of figures, the 5 Barbarian sets have 15 figures in total between them but there are actually only 8 different figures.

I guess it's down to cost 8 molds is a lot cheaper to buy than 15,  at least we get the specials every year and this year has been a good one for me. :)
I'm only human, born to make mistakes.

Offline cachalote

• x
  • Playmo Master
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2006, 22:46:37 »
 :-\
once again, maybe it's the oil prices.
i just received the past week the new pirate with raft 5780 set i bought on ebay.
the raft is the same as the old 3793/3736 (i have them both), with the same sail. playmobil just added a pirate's symbol.
the figure is the same as in the 3792 set and, instead of a shark, there is an octopuss included.
the lamp is the same, the dog and the supplies disappeared and a rubber monkey got on bord.
it's rather sad.
 :(
the 5779 set pirates with shipwreck is a little more creative in the joining of parts but it shows nothing new.
i will be receiving the 5782 next week and i hope to change my mood.
i think there is nothing like the joy of a totally brand new set.
(actually there is but i think you know what i mean)
    honni soit qui mal y pense

Offline Robbie

• Playmo Master
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2006, 06:13:19 »
I definitely agree! Most of the Target/TRU US exclusives come with many recycled parts. I kinda think this is their way of clearing out old extra stock in the factory. Let's not forget the Girl with Bunnies 4529....she was a Special for several years, then a Pal, and even an Egg!   ;D

Offline playmofire

• Klicky Firemeister
  • Playmo Guru
    • Copt Hewick Volunteer Fire Brigade - probably the world's smallest fire brigade!
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2006, 07:52:40 »
But Playmobil are also producing for new markets, i.e. children who were born after these items had been discontinued.  It makes sense if an item has been popular to reintroduce it after a few years.
“Today well-lived makes every yesterday a day of happiness to remember and every tomorrow a vision of hope.”

Offline CountBogro

• desperate poet
  • Playmo Master
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2006, 11:57:37 »
I agree with Playmofire.
Besides; there's another point of view possible (profided you're not a MISB collector).
Each re-isue of an old set makes it possible to get that missing item of your collection. There are about four Specials I am hoping they will be re-issuing as a re-run. (Actually one has - but I don''t seem able to get it either :-( )

Bogro
... and then dusk came and brought despair.

Offline Richard

• Retired Playmobil
  • Wargamer
  • Playmo Master
    • Garden Wargaming
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2006, 12:33:29 »
There are about four Specials I am hoping they will be re-issuing as a re-run. (Actually one has - but I don''t seem able to get it either :-( )

Bogro

What are the ones that you're hoping for?

Offline Robbie

• Playmo Master
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2006, 23:18:20 »
I think it's very awesome that the Halloween Devil(4561) and Vampire(4506) have been reissued as the Halloween sets this year....but if they also appear in Eggs and as Pals then that's just overkill.  ;)