Author Topic: Early steps in organised storage?  (Read 3762 times)

Offline Rhalius

• Playmo Master
Early steps in organised storage?
« on: May 27, 2016, 14:01:38 »
As I am currently gathering all playmobil again from its hiding place to prepare for my next story, I think it might be a good opportunity to maybe buy a new storage box or such and organise my collection a bit further.

Last year I did pick up a rather large but low storage box with many little compartments to store weapons and shields. It's quite full already.
Other than that I put horses in a box thats already too small to store them all, and the box I have for medieval clickies is nearly full.

And all other stuff is.. everywhere. I have a box for medieval stuff and one for trees and rocks, and furthermore I have all the steck houses stored in a closet completely build up along with some castle pieces that wouldnt fit in the 3666 box.
I also have kept the box of the arena which is stored in there along with all the other roman stuff I have. Theres enough extra space for it so far.
And the box for the egyptian house I also kept, it holds the house and also all middle eastern and eastern clickies.
Oh and all pirate stuff is kept on a shelf in a closet. Clickies, ships, a fort, accesoires, everything.

So yeah.. its all a bit messy and I could use some advice on my next step. I do prefer to try it one step at a time to keep a good overview of what size box I'll need for that step and then I can later proceed from there when I see what kind of space I freed up.

But what to start with?

Currently I am considering the following:
-Large box to store all the new steck. (I tend to keep the fresh DS steck seperate from the second hand steck.)
-some manner of box with compartments for medieval accesoires. (since its furniture, plates, food, barrels, etc. I am not sure what kind of box to go with.)
-Second box for medieval clickies, to maybe seperate civilians from soldiers. Or maybe a larger box with compartments for further division?

Other suggestions are welcome too of course, it could be something I didnt think of yet. I welcome all advice.  :)

Offline Tiermann

• Playmo Master
  • Playmosaurus friendus
    • Animobil
Re: Early steps in organised storage?
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2016, 17:38:46 »
I have been using shoebox sized plastic tubs to sort klickies. For knights I use multiple ones sorted by group along with their horses if they are caparisoned. For smaller accessories I use the plastic compartmented bins for fishing tackle.
Heres a link to a picture of mine from back in the old days when I only had 4 instead of 15 or so now.

Offline Erik

• Playmobil crusader / Toyhunter
  • Playmo Master
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2016, 20:34:29 »
Here's a look at my Playmo-room, I use a lot of plastic containers, and "zip-lock"plastic bags in all sizes.
A few large "historical" pieces, like the "Steaming Mary" and such are kept in a special glass case  in our living room.
The most valiant knights are made of German plastic!!!

Offline Erik

• Playmobil crusader / Toyhunter
  • Playmo Master
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2016, 20:35:26 »
 :)
The most valiant knights are made of German plastic!!!

Offline tahra

• Playmo Guru
    • playkingdoms
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2016, 20:43:16 »
Here's a look at my Playmo-room, I use a lot of plastic containers, and "zip-lock"plastic bags in all sizes.
A few large "historical" pieces, like the "Steaming Mary" and such are kept in a special glass case  in our living room.

So nice :)

(and B.A. too :love: )

Offline Rhalius

• Playmo Master
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2016, 22:25:26 »
Wow, that's very impressive Erik!

And I do have a similar box to that for my weapons and shields Tiermann, maybe I'll get another.

Offline bonniebeth

• playmo zoo architect
  • Playmo Guru
    • my youtube channel
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2016, 11:31:26 »
I use large boxes for different categories, and then use ziplock bags to subdivide. Like I have a huge box with all my animals, but they're organized by continent/habitat into different bags so if I need something specific I can find it more easily.

Yours looks really organized, Erik! All your boxes match so well. All my boxes are so hodge podge. I just buy whatever is on sale usually. My playmo closet has gotten SO out of hand. In fact, I can't even get in it right now. Time for an overhaul.
My playmobil zoo: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E-0grq9acog
In the end, we will conserve only what we love. We will love only what we understand. We will understand only what we are taught.

Offline Rhalius

• Playmo Master
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2016, 12:25:29 »
Well I bought a big box for 7 euros and put all the pirate stuff in there save for the fort and a smaller ship since that doesnt fit. I plan to use the new shelf space for the steck houses.

Sadly they currently didnt have any good boxes anymore with lots of small compartments so I will wait untill they have those in stock again.

Offline GrahamB

• Playmo Master
    • Playmofanatic
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2016, 21:59:21 »
I seem to spend a lot of time looking for 'perfect' storage boxes. I do like boxes which are transparent, or at least partly so. Even with careful sorting and good labelling, I often find I have to make a visual search for a piece or set I just know I have. Those compartment boxes Tiermann showed are especially good (if you turn them over you can see the small parts which have sunk to the bottom) and if you hunt around, you can find ones with lots of small compartments which allows you to have small and large sections by careful use of the divider pieces (exactly as Tiermann did, in fact). I found some with 36 compartments which are ideal for storing a set of Mystery Fi?ures (by making 12 compartments).
But removable dividers don't work with cutlery, coins, flower heads and the like, which I find are forever sliding under the dividers and ending up in the wrong section. For these, I found some very good boxes with welded dividers, sold as bead sorting boxes.
At that moment the ship suddenly stopped rocking and swaying, the engine pitch settled down to a gentle hum. 'Hey Ford.' said Zaphod, 'that sounds good. Have you worked out the controls on this boat?' 'No,' said Ford, 'I just stopped fiddling with them.' (With thanks to Douglas Adams)

Offline Knight Train

• Playmo Lover
  • Knight in Training
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2016, 18:26:34 »
"A few large "historical" pieces, like the "Steaming Mary" and such are kept in a special glass case  in our living room."

We need to see a picture of this!!  :)