Author Topic: Review: 4148 Fairy Garden Compact Set  (Read 5077 times)

Offline Tiermann

• Playmo Master
  • Playmosaurus friendus
    • Animobil
Review: 4148 Fairy Garden Compact Set
« on: February 16, 2011, 22:26:29 »
This set has previously been reviewed by macgayver at http://www.playmofriends.com/forum/index.php?topic=4036.0
There are closer images of the fairy in the set there.

I bought this set for $9.99 from Playmobil online in the January free shipping deal.
I think it's a great set and has wonderful play value for the price.

Here is the set all together from the front.

As you see it's a landscape pieces with a painted on stream, a bridge, a fairy, a swan and 3 cygnets, a baby unicorn, a butterfly, a dragonfly, a yellow jewel stone, and assorted plants including a small tree.
There are indents and ridges on the landscape piece for the bridge to clip onto. So to look good you have to have those parts together, or cover up the clip parts on either side with something. The bridge is a light pink color. It looks like a solid color in the photos but actually it is the textured pink plastic they have begun using recently. It looks more like stone up close, a pink granite maybe. I would have preferred it in a grey but it's a quiet enough color I don't feel like I absolutely have to paint it to have the scene look good.
You can see the flowers included are the yellow star shape and some pink calla lily shaped ones. These are all nice and something different from the usual 5 petal flowers. There is a tall flower stem you can see towards the back that they've provided a cattail top for, a different use for that top than the usual plant and nice looking in my opinion.

Offline Tiermann

• Playmo Master
  • Playmosaurus friendus
    • Animobil
Re: Review: 4148 Fairy Garden Compact Set
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2011, 22:29:29 »
The animals include the new dragonfly that is wonderful. It has a round part on the bottom that allows a klicky to hold it, and a hole in the round piece so it can sit on the little pins on trees and shrubs. This is the first set it has appeared in. It is in the upcoming larger fairy garden superset for 2011 (Germany) as well.

The butterfly is the first type that was made and pretty common now as butterflies go. The swan is the usual swimming one with no feet. The cygnets are actually the light yellow duckling. The actual cygnet only in set 4137 was grey.

The other main animal in the set is the baby unicorn. It is one of the more recent style that has an actual horn. This horn is in gold, the first to be like that and only in this set so far.

Offline Bill Blackhurst

• Playmo Master
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2011, 22:32:30 »
Thank you for the review of this interesting set! The enlarged dragonfly makes the Klicky appear to scale!
  Forget about all of the other stuff,....all we need is the reintroduction of the 3526 Fire Engine!

Offline Tiermann

• Playmo Master
  • Playmosaurus friendus
    • Animobil
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2011, 22:33:15 »
Here is the left side view. You will notice that there is a nice cave opening on this side allowing access under the scenery. It is a bit too low for the baby unicorn to fit through but would work well for the swans and many small animals.

Offline Tiermann

• Playmo Master
  • Playmosaurus friendus
    • Animobil
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2011, 22:34:56 »
There is a waterfall on the back part, and some on the other side. In the stream are some of the rocks that are used as hole fillers - but in bright green. They look really nice and add some nice character to the set.

Offline Tiermann

• Playmo Master
  • Playmosaurus friendus
    • Animobil
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2011, 22:39:49 »
I am not a huge fan of the painted water over the clear plastic, but considering the price of the set and the nice way it's been done I am perfectly happy with it in this instance.
Overall I think it's a great set that has potential use in a number of forest, meadow, or garden scenes. With the bridge it looks especially good as part of a Japanese style garden.

Wonderful value for the money to my eyes and well worth having even if you aren't into the fairy theme.

Offline Tiermann

• Playmo Master
  • Playmosaurus friendus
    • Animobil
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2011, 22:41:44 »
Thanks Bill. The dragonfly is maybe a little big but it works well and has great color. I'm pretty pleased with it.

Offline bonniebeth

• playmo zoo architect
  • Playmo Guru
    • my youtube channel
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2011, 22:44:21 »
Thank you for the review of this interesting set! The enlarged dragonfly makes the Klicky appear to scale!

:doh: I've been wondering why they made the dragonfly so freakishly huge, but that makes sense. if these klickys are fairies, then the dragonfly is the perfect size. Why didn't I think of that?  :lol:
My playmobil zoo: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E-0grq9acog
In the end, we will conserve only what we love. We will love only what we understand. We will understand only what we are taught.

Offline Playmoholics

• Playmo Master
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2011, 22:44:58 »
Great review  :wave: That set comes with beautiful flowers! I love the background you used too.
Don’t ask what the world needs. Ask what makes you come alive and go do it. Because what the world needs is more people who have come alive – Howard Thurman.
I need Playmobil! 

Offline bonniebeth

• playmo zoo architect
  • Playmo Guru
    • my youtube channel
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2011, 22:49:01 »
Oops, sorry Tim, I forgot to comment on your review.  :-[ That was a great review, and I really enjoy the way you put each animal next to a klicky for scale. I've been trying to figure out just exactly what size this dragonfly was, and now I know! And I love the japanese garden idea. Beautiful!
My playmobil zoo: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E-0grq9acog
In the end, we will conserve only what we love. We will love only what we understand. We will understand only what we are taught.