Author Topic: Greetings from London, UK  (Read 4545 times)

Offline Martin Milner

• Eugene, Oregon, USA
  • Playmo Master
    • An Englishman in Eugene
Greetings from London, UK
« on: August 20, 2007, 15:07:46 »
Hi All,  :wave:

I recently re-discovered my interest in Playmobil thanks to the Roman series which appeared in London toyshops this year.

My first ever Playmobil set was given to me (for a birthday or Christmas) in 1974 when I was 8 years old - a Basic Cowboys & Indians set (produced under license in the UK), soon followed by a few knights, and a couple of construction workers. My favourite figure, I recall, was a cowboy with white body & legs, red arms and black hair, who wore a cream-white cowboy hat. He travelled in my pocket pretty much everywhere I went for some time.

Alas all those early figures are gone, probably given away by my mother when I "grew too old" for them. Humph. Probably worth hundreds of pounds now on eBay.   :hmm:

I continued collecting occasional figures from 1982 through to the present time, small sets or specials, like the Victorian Detective (Sherlock Holmes), Blues Brother (with dark glasses and saxaphone), and quite a lot of pirates. I also got the Redcoat soldiers and their officer (to fight the pirates), and some Union Soldiers, and then when the Viking longship came out I bought my first ever large set - it just looked to good to be left on the shelf.  :love:

My particular interests (outside of the Playmobil world) have always included Pirates and Romans, so when I saw the Romans in the shops a couple of weeks ago I had to add to my collection again.  :wow:

As an adult collector (and I do play with them too), I'm delighted with the development of the range and the different figures, though it's a long way from the days when a figure could be a cowboy in the morning, a construction worker in the afternoon, and a red indian in the evening. The figures are less "transferable" between worlds, which does allow for more characterisation, but maybe limits the child's imagination.

For the past few weeks I've been prowling the London Toyshops, and surfing the internet picking up Roman and Pirate figures from Germany, Malta and the US which aren't available in the UK.

On eBay my username is milner1966. :toot:

Offline playmofire

• Klicky Firemeister
  • Playmo Guru
    • Copt Hewick Volunteer Fire Brigade - probably the world's smallest fire brigade!
Re: Greetings from London, UK
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2007, 17:37:29 »
Hello, Marti, and welcome to Playmofriends  :wave:  Thanks, too, for your detailed introduction.  Hope to hear more from you and see some photos of your growing collection.  And remember, Playmobil is happiest when it's played with! :)
“Today well-lived makes every yesterday a day of happiness to remember and every tomorrow a vision of hope.”

Offline EDWINMODELS

• Playmo Fanatic
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2007, 19:46:32 »
Hi Marti and welcome to the best site on the web. I was too old to have playmobil as a child but as an adult appreciate thier qualities (and the prices on ebay). I am based in Brentford which is just west of Chiswick where abouts are you ? Kind regards Craig

Offline Martin Milner

• Eugene, Oregon, USA
  • Playmo Master
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2007, 21:32:43 »
Hi Craig,

I'm in West Ealing, north of Brentford a couple of miles. I pass through Brentford fairly regularly on my way down to Kew, Richmona and Kingston, and cycle through Chiswick on way to work in Hammersmith!

Offline EDWINMODELS

• Playmo Fanatic
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2007, 07:54:48 »
Hi Marti

I work as an Estate Agent (BOO HISS) in Brentford, so know the area very well, you may be interested to know that they are planning to build a foot bridge from Ferry Quays to the Brentford car park in Kew. Ferry Quays is a new build of apts on the High Street there is a old Victorian fire station at the front that was turned into a wine bar, the bridge is only at the planning stage at present but looks as though it will go ahead. I used to buy my Playmobil figures from a toyshop that is after Hammersmith just on the edge of Kennsington, but now use a toyshop on Kings Street in Twickenham and of course ebay. Next time you are in Brentford pop into Quilliam Property Services on the High Street regards Craig

Offline Martin Milner

• Eugene, Oregon, USA
  • Playmo Master
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2007, 10:40:26 »
Hi Craig,

That's good news about the footbridge - it's definitely needed, and will be useful for me when I want to go to Kew Gardens.

If I'm down Brentford way I'll pop ion and say Hi! I'm normally passign through Brentford rather than stopping, but you never know!

cheers, Martin

Offline Sylvia

• Administrator
  • Playmo Master
    • Just For Kl!cks
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2007, 12:16:30 »
Hi Martin! :wave:

It's very nice to meet you and to hear about how your collecting hobby has developed.

It's sad that you don't have any of your childhood Playmobil figures anymore, but at least you still have the fond memories from playing with it. :)

Have fun at PlaymoFriends! ;)

Cool avatar and sig, btw. ;D

Offline Richard

• Retired Playmobil
  • Wargamer
  • Playmo Master
    • Garden Wargaming
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2007, 16:54:02 »

Hello, Martin ...

Another big welcome from beautiful Vancouver Island in the Canadian Pacific Northwest (I just responded to your great intro over at GW-PC)!

After looking at your splendid avatar, it would seem that we might expect to see some very interesting photos from you in the future ... :)

Thanks for joining us here at PF.

All the best,
Richard

Offline Sir Gareth

• Playmo Addict
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2007, 18:12:48 »
Hi Martin,

Welcome to Playmofriends.

It's nice to hear from somebody who can remember having Playpeople as a toy, I have a small collection of MISB sets. When I get a bit more time I will do a thread on Playpeople here, it might bring back a few more of your childhood memories.

Garry.

I'm only human, born to make mistakes.

Offline Little Jo

• Tool Master
  • Playmo Master
    • Little Jo's PlaymoWorld
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2007, 06:47:29 »
Be welcome from the South of Germany  :wave: