Author Topic: Tudor Manor - A work in progress  (Read 8572 times)

Offline Emma.J

• Playmo Addict
    • Emma.J Blog page
Tudor Manor - A work in progress
« on: June 05, 2010, 23:07:15 »
 :wave: Hello friends, this is a story of a failed Inn and a bigger house.

I've mentioned this project before and I'll finally gotten around to starting this topic. I've recently decided to take reference photos of new building designs so I can see what works and where I might need to improve on things or if it just looks silly. Because of this, this is my only building that I've got pictures of from the start - I wont say till the end as this will be months away yet so I hope every one will have a bit of patience as I work on my house in dribs and drabs.

I apologise for the quality of the photos as I didn't originally intend to share them. :-[

Ok first off I'll explain how I got the idea  :!: I was a fan of Lego as a kid and loved to build bigger and better castles, this has lead to my obsession in later life to build bigger houses and palaces than normal, and now I've turned to the medieval buildings.

So my manor house actually started as an idea to make a coaching inn with a courtyard.

The main problem with making a larger building is getting windows on anything but the very front walls. I thought if I used a row of door walls I could make each into rooms and have a balcony running along the front.

So my next thought is what shape of roof do I use? A sloping in one ...

or a straight end one?

I decided the straight end but this was a bit too big a building for the parts I had, but I wanted to keep the archway so I made it slightly smaller.

Not bad but I still had problems with the walkway.

This I thought was pretty good, downstairs on the left is the common room, on the right the kitchen with a stable behind, and three bedrooms upstairs, with more lodgings in the attic.

The more I looked at it the more I thought the shape is wrong plus I've got loads of bedrooms and this would get boring to furnish so I decided to turn it into a house .....
Improvise, adapt, overcome ..... If all else fails FAKE IT!

Offline Emma.J

• Playmo Addict
    • Emma.J Blog page
Re: Tudor Manor - A work in progress
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2010, 23:42:08 »
 :wave: I hope your all still with me?

So here is the first look at what will now become a manor house.

As you can see I've gotten rid of the archway and added an extra floor to the front of the house. Not enough windows at the front so I wondered what it would look like with a lower roof to try and add more windows to the front.  :eh?:

NOPE not a good idea  :no:

This is the rear view of the house just a straight back with windows.

What I really wanted was to make a house out of just the Tudor walls without any castle parts showing. The only way to add Tudor window walls was to extend the back out so the house is a giant "H" shape.

Offline Lindama

• Playmo Master
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2010, 02:17:46 »
Very interesting Emma. I am enjoying seeing your designing "thoughts" .
One half of the world cannot understand the pleasures of the other.
    Jane Austen, Emma

Linda

Offline WarriorOfToys

• Wargaming Fanatic
  • Playmo Master
    • Come check out my Playmobil movies!
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2010, 02:22:39 »
So cool Emma!!!
This is great, lots of progress photos! :)
I love the beginning of your Tudor Mansion! :love:

Not all Tudor Mansions are the H shape.
Some are just a U like what you have now.

May I make a suggestion?
Keep the back of the house completely open so you can reach in for fiddling/playing... ;)
You can take pictures easier too.
Steck is BACK! <:>

Offline Wolf Knight

• Playmo Guru
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2010, 06:04:40 »
Emma this is fantastic!!! Well done!!! I really love your step by step process, thought, and experimentations!!! You gave me some ideas for the inn i want to plan for my medieval castle!!!
Thank you very much!!!

Offline Martin Milner

• Eugene, Oregon, USA
  • Playmo Master
    • An Englishman in Eugene
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2010, 06:14:19 »
haha, I liked the inn with the archway, it reminded me of the Prancing Pony!

Offline flatcat

• Playmo Master
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2010, 06:41:49 »
This is looking great Emma! :o

I can't wait to see the finished one! 8-)

Offline playmofire

• Klicky Firemeister
  • Playmo Guru
    • Copt Hewick Volunteer Fire Brigade - probably the world's smallest fire brigade!
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2010, 11:31:48 »
Lots of interesting ideas, Emma  Keep them coming.
“Today well-lived makes every yesterday a day of happiness to remember and every tomorrow a vision of hope.”

Offline Emma.J

• Playmo Addict
    • Emma.J Blog page
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2010, 15:50:47 »
.... You gave me some ideas for the inn i want to plan for my medieval castle!!!...

Well I'm glad I could help, as you can see I didn't have many Tudor parts that's why I've had to build with my Potters etc while I tried to work out the layouts.

haha, I liked the inn with the archway, it reminded me of the Prancing Pony!

I had to think twice about where I knew the "Pony" from but I've got it now. I will go back and do an Inn sometime when I've got a bit more room.

......Not all Tudor Mansions are the H shape.
Some are just a U like what you have now.

May I make a suggestion?
Keep the back of the house completely open so you can reach in for fiddling/playing... ;)
You can take pictures easier too.

Hi W.O.T,
thanks for the suggestion, but the back has to be filled in so I can use the Tudor window walls. As you'll see from the next set of photos I've left the sides open instead.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2010, 16:41:46 by Emma.J »

Offline Giorginetto

• Playmo Master
  • Playmobil Aficionado
    • TheGiorginetto channel
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2010, 17:11:36 »
I salute you steck work. Actually it has given me a few ideas for my designs. I really like the buildings, the archway reminds me of a house in Guildford city centre ... Really like it and look forward to see more. steck is the best , best , best and possibilities are endless !!!! look forward for more pictures !!! ;D
:knight: Steck is Holy . Bring back more steck sets and its guardians , the Nuremberg Guards :knight: