Author Topic: Your Collecting Habits  (Read 7770 times)

Offline Gustavo

• Playmo Master
  • At your service
Re: Your Collecting Habits
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2008, 23:51:11 »
Most but not all, eh, Richard?   :lol:

Why don't we call this place a pub so the social failures among us don't have to feel so embarrassed about frequenting a site with a name that sounds like a TV show for five year olds.

"Playmopub"--no place to go when the bar closes, but, thank god, the bar never closes...

:lol:

Although it WAS very funny, master Tim, now, imagine a smiley trying to hold the laugh ...
Although it was funny, it is supposed to be a place for children too, Tim.

(& There ARE children here. Someone's about to be 12, in the aniversaries' announcements.)

So, for pubs, we should make somewhere else ... And, thinking about it, ... We might, aye? ;D

Gus ...

I am watching you replying to your own posts. And, I'm beginning to feel bad that you have to talk to yourself ... :klickywink:

I'm sure that everyone here would like to play with you, but most of the members have other commitments on the weekends.

I am watching you replying to your own posts. And, I'm beginning to feel bad that you have to talk to yourself ... :klickywink:

I'm sure that everyone here would like to play with you, but most of the members have other commitments on the weekends.

Hello, Richard! :)

Although I was 3 when you were 30, now I'm 30 ... :lol:

Sorry to say so like this. Actually, you are being kind to me. I feel like I'm being very well treated :yup:

Don't be scared about the growth of the volume of my incoming text ... I have intranet now at home. I usually spend a lot of my free time in and out Playmofriends ... When I actually NEED somewhere else, I go to Playmoboard, and other places, blogs, other subjects ... Point is, I'm not here because of lacking places to be. I'm here because I have more internet access, now.

Thanks for worrying, though :*)

My suggestion would be for you to make a list of Playmobil weekend projects that you would really like to do. Things that you would like to do and photograph to share with the other members here at Playmofriends. Then every Sunday night or Monday post your wonderful creations for everyone to see.

Your "creations" could be stories, custom Klickys, photographs of your Klickys taken in different places around Rio or maybe some photos of Klickys on the shelves in some of your local toy stores.

I know that you can think of many things that would be exciting and of real interest to almost everyone here.

Brazil is an incredibly fascinating and beautiful country with a rich history. I would love to see your history told through your Klickys. I have never been to Brazil, and I don't know if anyone else here at Playmofriends has been to Brazil either.

I found a page that shows many of the old forts where you could take some great photos with your Klickys ... Click HERE!

Have fun y buen fim de semana ...  :klickygrin:

All the best,
Richard

see attachment

I'm waiting a bit to see if Masie & Fred appear around in Carioca toystores ...
In spite of the winter (it's very cold!: we Cariocas don't like the cold! ... It must be around 22 C degrees (Sorry, don't remember the conversion to Fahrenheit ...), it's been nice sunny days, blue sky. Some other day, by chance (I hadn't planned), I went at the Lagoa, and I tought that I should have taken the camera (& a klicky :yup: ) [Oops ... Didn't think of a klicky, by then ... It occured me as I was answering you ...]

However, I'm putting on the tip of the pen the numbers, so that I can begin consuming (much) more batteries. And I still don't have many klickys, so, they stay home. (It isn't a habit of mine to take them out yet ... I hope soon I'll have at least one main travelling little friend, but I'm in about 20-30 -- & 'think I stopped counting already ... Odd! ::) )

But you will all see Rio, don't worry. In time you will see it around here, if things go according to plans.

Don't feel bad about me posting three messages one after another: most times, it has to do with my will of making separate texts thouroughly for slightly different therefore different subjects. But I remember the instructions in the guidelines. I'm sorry, actually. I should try to speak more in only one post, and I'll make effort to do so.

As for projects, I'm working in part 2 of Fletchers trip ... I'm adapting new sizes of pictures in the internet, once I'm in another computer as well. (I'm trying to do everything in the virtual photo program Martin had mentioned, that I started to use, some time ago ... It works fine, I'll only have to pay attention at the size of the pics, that I'd like to maintain like they've been, and the scale is a bit subtle to control ... Actually, I'm working on it right now. -- Actually was; I had to stop to answer this ...) And it is in my plans to go on shooting Fletcher & Elmo at night (so as not to alter the light -- I already have too much limitations with the machine to deal with ...), so I had to wait all day long. Today & Tomorrow will be days for shooting :D & I also got a piece of ... how do you call it? mármore? ... Ivory, that I'd like to try as a table, with my pirates ;D ... So, I have plenty of things to do; I hope the weekend lasts the length I'd need, because it's the first free one in a month: I had to move, to be best man in a wedding, to receive visits to new home, last week ... Today, I'm freeeeeeee! :woohoo:: This is why I'm in Playmofriends all day! :lol:

Cordially,

Gus
:blackhair:
« Last Edit: July 20, 2008, 00:28:51 by Gustavo »
Gus
:blackhair:

Offline Martin Milner

• Eugene, Oregon, USA
  • Playmo Master
    • An Englishman in Eugene
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2008, 07:07:12 »

I'm waiting a bit to see if Maisie & Fred appear around in Carioca toystores ...i

Not going to happen, Gus, they're only available through Direct Order.

Give me you address in a PM and I'll send you a Maise & Fred set so you can take them out and photograph some fine Brazilian sights for us..

Offline Timotheos

• Visitor
  • Playmo Addict
« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2008, 01:35:46 »
:lol:

Although it was funny, it is supposed to be a place for children too, Tim.

(& There ARE children here. Someone's about to be 12, in the aniversaries' announcements.)

So, for pubs, we should make somewhere else ... And, thinking about it, ... We might, aye? ;D

We're not a babysitting service!   :hmm:

This is one of my pet peeves!  (Don't start a flame war, Tim!)

But, seriously, 12 year olds aren't so delicate and innocent ("Dude, he said 'beer'"). 
And kids younger than that should probably be discouraged from wasting time on the forum. 

But, to all you hypothetical twelve-year-olds who think babies come from storks and taverns sell lemonade, the trick to getting in the front door of the Playmopub is to hold your ID upside down--the 12 looks like 21, and we're too busy bantering about our middle-class and middle-aged woes to look twice.

-Tim

Offline Richard

• Retired Playmobil
  • Wargamer
  • Playmo Master
    • Garden Wargaming
« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2008, 12:28:32 »

Hello, Martin ...

Not going to happen, Gus, they're only available through Direct Order.

Give me your address in a PM and I'll send you a Maisie & Fred set so you can take them out and photograph some fine Brazilian sights for us.

"Maisie and Fred's Excellent Adventures" is a brilliant idea! However, since the beginning, I've wondered how many Playmofriends members actually have a "Maisie and Fred" in their Playmobil collection?

I know that I don't! And, I probably would only order this Add-On from Direct Service if I wanted to post some photos to this one topic. And, because of where I am (on a little remote island in the Caribbean), it is very difficult to order anything from Playmobil.

Having said that, I am really looking forward to the photos of Gordon's walking tour. And, I would love to see pictures of Brazil from Gus. And, I would like to see some more of Denmark from Lars. And, more of your London, Martin!

But, what about Heather's Newfoundland? Does Heather have a Maisie and Fred?

And, Sylvia's Scotland? Does Sylvia have a Maisie and Fred?

We have members living all over the world. How many of them would take pictures to share with us, if they only had a Maisie and Fred?

Martin, do you plan on sending ALL of us a Maisie and Fred? Did an old (an unknown) rich uncle die and leave you more money than you could ever spend?

Or, maybe we could print out the attached photo from Lars, make cut-outs of Maisie and Fred and place the paper figures in the foreground of our "travel" photos? Not exactly the same as having the actual Klickys, but it might work?

Maybe someone has a better idea? I hope so!

All the best,
Richard

see attachment

Offline Martin Milner

• Eugene, Oregon, USA
  • Playmo Master
    • An Englishman in Eugene
« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2008, 14:22:52 »

Hello, Martin ...

"Maisie and Fred's Excellent Adventures" is a brilliant idea! However, since the beginning, I've wondered how many Playmofriends members actually have a "Maisie and Fred" in their Playmobil collection?

I know that I don't! And, I probably would only order this Add-On from Direct Service if I wanted to post some photos to this one topic. And, because of where I am (on a little remote island in the Caribbean), it is very difficult to order anything from Playmobil.

Having said that, I am really looking forward to the photos of Gordon's walking tour. And, I would love to see pictures of Brazil from Gus. And, I would like to see some more of Denmark from Lars. And, more of your London, Martin!

We have members living all over the world. How many of them would take pictures to share with us, if they only had a Maisie and Fred?

Martin, do you plan on sending ALL of us a Maisie and Fred? Did an old (an unknown) rich uncle die and leave you more money than you could ever spend?
see attachment

I picked the F&M figures because, theoretically, they were easy for anyone to get. They could be ordered alongside any other order from Playmobil that someone might be making, and they're a cheap couple (they don't eat much).

I didn't realise how few people actually use Playmobil's internet website to order stuff. Because I have to travel a long way to get to any Playmobil sellers, I order most of my stuff from the website.

I can certainly afford to send a set to anybody who want to join in and can't get their own set. If a dozen or so people suddenly pipe up, I might request a donation via Paypal, but as long as it's only one or two it's no hardship.

Actually I DID have a rich uncle die and indirectly leave me a fat wedge of cash, though it mostly got used paying off the mortgage (hurrah), or got salted away into savings funds (hurrah).

My own F & M figures went missing sometime after my trip to Oxford, though I have a possible stand-in for Fred, but haven't another Maisie. Hopefully when I have a good search they'll turn up.

If ANYONE needs the F&M figures to join in with the fun, message me with your name/address, and I'll see how many there are. If it's less than 10 (and I suspect it is) I'll happily buy them and send them out at my expense, to get people started.

Let me know before the weekend.

Offline CountBogro

• desperate poet
  • Playmo Master
« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2008, 15:03:00 »
Great idea, Martin.

Now let's see ...

It gets me thinking about why I'm collecting Playmobil in the first place.

mmm ... I guess it lets the child that's in me play. Beside that; I like to put up displays; always have.
And on another level; I just like the way it looks. It has something very appealing to me.

Does rarity matter? Do I enjoy a piece more if other people don't have it?
I don't care much for Rarity in itself - although I do like owning something that "normal" kids don't have. On the other hand I do feel that sharing is a great part of collecting.

If I'm collecting a theme, how complete does it need to be?
It has to be as complete as I want it to be. For instance; I have all the jungle sets with natives as I like the dark Africa feel of it. But I don't have the sets of that same theme with the explorers. Somehow, they are much too modern for my liking. Now, if they had been Victorian age like explorers ... mmm.
On the other hand; with the new Egyptians there's no other way - I must have them ALL !!!

If new versions come out of things I already have, do I want to buy the updated version?
I only do that if the new version appeals to me. Or is a part of a theme I definitly want it all - for instance: the Specials. The Rolling Robot (4528 and 4604) has been released twice (more or less; one is silver the other is yellow, but otherwise they're identical) so I have both of them. Otherwise, I wouldn't have.

At what point is any collection complete?
If the owner says it is. There's almost always something more that one can wish for ... but when the owner says it's enough for him or her, then it is complete.

But that's just me  ;D

Bogro
... and then dusk came and brought despair.

Offline Richard

• Retired Playmobil
  • Wargamer
  • Playmo Master
    • Garden Wargaming
« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2008, 15:15:21 »

Hello, Martin ...

If ANYONE needs the F&M figures to join in with the fun, message me with your name/address, and I'll see how many there are. If it's less than 10 (and I suspect it is) I'll happily buy them and send them out at my expense, to get people started.

Let me know before the weekend.

How could anyone refuse such a generous offer from you and your dearly departed rich uncle? ...  :klickygrin:

Also, Martin, anyone accepting such a wonderful present from you, should certainly feel obligated to post many beautiful photos ... over at "Maisie and Fred's Excellent Adventure" ...  :klickywink:

All the best:

Richard Silvano
8168 Crown Bay Marina
Suite 310  PMB6
St. Thomas, VI 00802
United States Virgin Islands
USA

Offline LHAAP

• Playmo Lover
« Reply #17 on: July 21, 2008, 15:30:57 »
Thanks Richard and Martin for reminding me of Maisie and Fred :wow:
I've found the couple again and they are now ready to travel in the North Zealand region :camera:

Offline Sylvia

• Administrator
  • Playmo Master
    • Just For Kl!cks
« Reply #18 on: July 22, 2008, 15:26:02 »

Er... yes, I do have them. :-[

And I will take them out for a little tour of Inverness.  :toot:

I have been terribly lazy of late and didn't feel like taking any photos, but I'll try and do some soon.
It's school holiday time here now so maybe I'll be able to get the younger kids involved.
They can help me think up some places we can take them to visit. ;)

Offline sbblabotw

• Mistress of PlaymoDB
  • Playmo Addict
    • PlaymoDB ... the UNOFFICIAL online database for Playmobil® toys
« Reply #19 on: July 22, 2008, 19:08:45 »

I got mine today, thanks to dear playmofire.  They'll go to the circus this evening, and around town in the coming few days.  They'll hit all the summer festivals, I'm sure, and go 'around the bay' with us in August.
PlaymoDB.org has catalogued over FIFTY-FIVE THOUSAND parts in more than 6100 sets. Come and visit to find any set or part numbers you need to know!