Author Topic: Old Medieval Houses (from Playmobil.de Archiv)  (Read 12239 times)

Offline Gustavo

• Playmo Master
  • At your service
Old Medieval Houses (from Playmobil.de Archiv)
« on: June 01, 2008, 22:15:50 »
Hello, Playmofriends!

I had never seen these sets (in attachment). They can't be found in Collectobil.

In Brasil, we didn't have a complete medieval collection, back in the early 80s, but only some knights and archers, from sets 3261 and 3263, and correspondent single klickys ... We never had any royal attendants (3410) or city defence (3409), but I've always knew of them through wandering dioramas that went around the world, and playmo' lovers (like my cousin and I) would dream a lot about them! :love:

Some people lament that the 1900 collection has been discontinued but, to me, this classical Playmobil theme is the one I wished most to come back, exactly as they were, and, maybe, new editions as well.

I'm partially glad that through the Bunnies collection, some of the objects caracteristic of the early medieval collection came back (such as the lute and medieval violin and the backpack), but I still miss a lot of them, and there are some of them that don't seem to have any means of coming back, such as the old king's throne, the old medieval table and the countess chest.
Gus
:blackhair:

Offline Timotheos

• Visitor
  • Playmo Addict
Re: Old Medieval Houses (from Playmobil.de Archiv)
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2008, 22:50:09 »
Hi Gus

The countess's chest is available through the System X castle 3268.  It is also available (in blue) through the modern family kid's room.
http://playmodb.org/cgi-bin/showpart.pl?partnum=30-67-8370

The old king's throne is available through the Knight's Advent set.
http://playmodb.org/backs/4153_back.jpg

The water bucket yoke (let's a person carry two buckets over the shoulder) is a discontinued item I'd like to see back!

Offline Timotheos

• Visitor
  • Playmo Addict
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2008, 22:57:42 »
As for the old medieval table, the table that came with Castle 3666 is superior (an authentic looking trestle table of the 14th century).  But, yeah, it's discontinued, too, replaced by the smaller table that comes with magic castle kitchen and bunnies.

http://playmodb.org/cgi-bin/showpart.pl?partnum=30-60-0130

During what we'd call the medieval era of France and England, benches and trestle tables were the norm, rather than tables and chairs.  A trestle table is something as simple as boards laid over a sawhorse or a reasonable easy to disassemble table as 30-60-0130.

The reason:
The medieval dinner halls were cleared after dinner to make room for other business.  The tables were removed and stored. 

If you want to be really authentic, trim a white cloth and lay it over the tables for tablecloth.  Medievals didn't eat over bare tables!

Offline Gustavo

• Playmo Master
  • At your service
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2008, 23:35:19 »

I thought the table was replaced too, but then I found out that that bunnies table was with the first count, 3375.

(I look at him, and my mind thinks "with count Bogro" ... But then, I remember that I have another name for that count ... :lol: )

The reason:
The medieval dinner halls were cleared after dinner to make room for other business.  The tables were removed and stored. 

If you want to be really authentic, trim a white cloth and lay it over the tables for tablecloth.  Medievals didn't eat over bare tables!

This has got to be great to do!!! I'll get there, but not yet. Plenty of things to buy before.

It's good to know that the chest isn't discontinued ... I intend to buy that castle, but it'll have to wait a bit as well. (Timbered houses have to come first ...)

Gus
Gus

Offline Gustavo

• Playmo Master
  • At your service
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2008, 00:15:19 »
The chest is there, all right, but it seems that it's painted ...

No big problem, it's better than the blue version of the children bedroom ("Dollhouse" at Collectobil, 5328), which isn't very proper to use with the medieval theme :no: ...

The castle brings the viking throne as well (Vikings, 3154), also painted. Do you like that, with the King's Castle, master Tim?

What about the old chair? I've seen it in one of the more recent medieval sets (3274, already discontinued, though ...), in different colour. (Old one is light brown, and new one is black.) I think it isn't part of any recent sets :'( It's a great chair, the best, for medieval theme, 'dare say.

G.
Gus

Offline Justindo

• Playmo Master
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2008, 00:29:38 »
The chest is currently available and it's all brown, as the blue on it are simply optional stickers.  (I received a half dozen of them from DS a few months ago.)

The currently available table, bench, and stool are okay, although I too prefer the older more substantial table and bench.  I'm sure they'll reappear at some time.

I too wish the medieval chair was available in dark brown as it would complete the table arrangement nicely and their really should only be one or two thrones at the banquet tables.  The medieval chair would be great for important people and the benches for the less important ones.
:egypt: :roman: :viking: :knight: :arrr: :indian: :cowboy:

Offline Timotheos

• Visitor
  • Playmo Addict
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2008, 00:41:23 »
I too wish the medieval chair was available in dark brown as it would complete the table arrangement nicely and their really should only be one or two thrones at the banquet tables.  The medieval chair would be great for important people and the benches for the less important ones.

Hi Justin

This is correct.  You've probably already done the research, but for those who may not know:

In England and France, table layouts for feasts tended to take a two-legged T-shape.

The T cap was the master of the estate's table.  This table was often permanent, more elaborate than a trestle table.  Here the master and his wife, along with privileged guests sat, often in chairs.  Along the legs of the T, people tended to sit on benches, with the highest ranking sitting closest to the high table.

Edward III (or one of those Edwards) recreated a round table for his knights of the garter in imitation of King Arthur.

« Last Edit: June 02, 2008, 00:51:39 by Timotheos »

Offline Justindo

• Playmo Master
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2008, 03:39:59 »
Tim, that's an excellent re-creation!
:egypt: :roman: :viking: :knight: :arrr: :indian: :cowboy:

Offline CountBogro

• desperate poet
  • Playmo Master
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2008, 21:13:41 »

(I look at him, and my mind thinks "with count Bogro" ... But then, I remember that I have another name for that count ... :lol: )

Actually, my avatar is based on that count. It used to be my favourite figure. Glad you noticed it  ;)

Bogro
... and then dusk came and brought despair.

Offline Martin Milner

• Eugene, Oregon, USA
  • Playmo Master
    • An Englishman in Eugene
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2008, 11:50:51 »
Actually, my avatar is based on that count. It used to be my favourite figure. Glad you noticed it  ;)

Bogro

Aha, that's why I never made the connection between your avatar and name!

What you call a count is what in English we call a scribe.

Count is a noble rank, like Duke, Baron, Earl Viscount and Marquis, except we didn't have Counts in England, but they occurred in many other European countries.

A Scribe was a servant who could read and write, and do sums. He would help keep his lord's accounts and records straight, and I guess attend important meetings to keep the minutes, and draw up contracts and documents.

Thus a scribe would often be seen with pen, ink and paper.