Author Topic: malware/spyware through playmofriends?  (Read 3406 times)

Offline Hadoque

• Capitaine de la "Licorne"
  • Playmo Master
malware/spyware through playmofriends?
« on: July 22, 2012, 01:13:29 »
Hi

Past days (it started thursday 19th July), each time I tried to logg in on Playmofriends my computer's ITWACS-system (Internet Threat Warning & Countering System) went hyperactive and I got all kinds of warnings that through the forum several attempts were executed to install malware on my computer.

Anyone else getting warnings/problems?

Resistance is futile, you will be boarded!

Offline bonniebeth

• playmo zoo architect
  • Playmo Guru
    • my youtube channel
Re: malware/spyware through playmofriends?
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2012, 02:01:52 »
Hm, we did have a report from one other member that when he tried to open a certain thread his computer told him there was a virus on that page. But it was only that one thread and no other.
My playmobil zoo: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E-0grq9acog
In the end, we will conserve only what we love. We will love only what we understand. We will understand only what we are taught.

Offline Pynedor

• Playmo Master
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2012, 14:54:31 »
Actually, I also had a problem with this. It didn't affect me, as I was able to protect against it, but others may not be able to so easily. I've also noticed the forum responding a bit later than it normally does the past few days, though this seemed to smooth out yesterday.

Was it from a link or something in a thread or the thread itself, bonniebeth? And was anything found or dealt with about this? I am interested now, because I didn't realise it would have come from here.
~Pynedor~

Offline lee gray

• Vintage collector
  • Playmo Enthusiast
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2012, 15:48:22 »
I got the message earlier when I had opened up 4 threads to view and one had the malware message and mentioned something about millies but I quickly closed it off.

Offline Hadoque

• Capitaine de la "Licorne"
  • Playmo Master
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2012, 15:49:06 »
With me it wasn't a specific thread but the forum in general; immediately after logging in on the forum the warninglights flashed on.
One of the warnings I got was something like "planetsmiley is attempting to install malware on your computer"

Resistance is futile, you will be boarded!

Offline bonniebeth

• playmo zoo architect
  • Playmo Guru
    • my youtube channel
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2012, 17:52:52 »
Was it from a link or something in a thread or the thread itself, bonniebeth? And was anything found or dealt with about this? I am interested now, because I didn't realise it would have come from here.

The problem I was PMed about was with the newest thread in the welcome section. I passed it along to Sylvia, because only admins have the ability to check into that sort of problem. She wasn't able to find any problems with the page, or why he would have gotten that message.

With me it wasn't a specific thread but the forum in general; immediately after logging in on the forum the warninglights flashed on.
One of the warnings I got was something like "planetsmiley is attempting to install malware on your computer"

planetsmiley, huh? ??? That's very strange.
In the end, we will conserve only what we love. We will love only what we understand. We will understand only what we are taught.

Offline Pynedor

• Playmo Master
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2012, 19:05:16 »
Okay, thanks. I thought maybe someone unknowingly linked to something malicious. I did notice the smileys were a bit off a while ago though... if that is some connection. They seem to be back to normal now though.
~Pynedor~

Offline lee gray

• Vintage collector
  • Playmo Enthusiast
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2012, 19:42:31 »
its the leif lucky thread that I get it in the welcome section,,,,,,,,,,,,the message says this   www.playmofriends.com contains content from planetsmilies.net, a site known to distribute malware. Your computer might catch a virus if you visit this site.

only on page 1 though, page 2 is fine.

Offline bonniebeth

• playmo zoo architect
  • Playmo Guru
    • my youtube channel
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2012, 20:34:18 »
I wonder if the flag smiley there that is from an outside site could be the culprit?

Offline Sylvia

• Administrator
  • Playmo Master
    • Just For Kl!cks
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2012, 21:20:08 »
I wonder if the flag smiley there that is from an outside site could be the culprit?

You mean the one holding the Scottish flag? Yes, I think you solved the puzzle! The code shows that it is being linked directly from the "planetsmilies" website.

Code: [Select]
[quote]

A warm welcome from Southern Scotland  [img]http://planetsmilies.net/flag-smiley-7326.gif[/img]

[/quote]

If members want to use non-forum smileys, it is a very good idea (and far safer) to upload them to their own personal webspaces - e.g. photobucket - and link them from there.