Author Topic: Where It All Began (My Journey)  (Read 3777 times)

Offline Tim_w

• This and That
  • Playmo Addict
Where It All Began (My Journey)
« on: April 14, 2007, 21:09:51 »
Hello  All

Back in 2003 when i started collecting Playmobil and actually creating photo story's all i had was a normal camera. There was none of this digital technology (for me anyway) and i had never heard of macro or mega pixels :lol:. Everything was hit and miss and i would take a couple of reels of film hoping for them to turn out, hoping that i would have enough for a story that made some sense. It cost me a small fortune having all the pictures developed only to find out that 60% of them were useless :(. I was also quite shocked to see the poor quality of my pictures when looking back, things have certainly come a long way.
This was, however the beginning for me in many ways and i have fond memories of it. These pictures are a catalogue of my very first Playmobil Fire Service and show how primative things were back then. The advances in my Playmobil technology have certainly come along way since and most of the current Fire and Rescue equipment is cutting edge. As well as my fire service developing, camera technology has come on in leaps and bounds too. Looking back at these pictures i cant beleive how i managed to keep my inspiration and not loose faith when encountering all the frustrations.

I must take this opportunity to say a big thank you to Gordon (Playmofire) who has been a constant inspiration throughout, a really great guy. My Playmobil Fire Service wouldnt be where it is today without his guidance, support, help and inspiration. Infact i doubt wether any of it would have been possible without seeing his wonderful pictures for the first time.

The first accident in 2003 was done in a 'Casualty' (TV Series) disaster style :lol:. This involved a bus, camper van and car at the site of a road works. It was certainly a miracle that no one was killed, the emergency services could barely cope. This was the turning point, things had to improve
« Last Edit: April 14, 2007, 21:18:19 by Tim_w »

(28/5/03/850)

Offline Tim_w

• This and That
  • Playmo Addict
Re: Where It All Began (My Journey)
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2007, 21:11:30 »
The next accident was quite a big event as well but nothing on the scale of the first. This accident involved two cars colliding on the same stretch of road. The technology available to the fire fighters has developed slightly and it was the first time cutting gear was used, however it was hand operated and quite primitive. The first rescue tender that we invested in can be seen in these pictures, it carried a small amount of rescue equipment compared to today’s standards.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2007, 21:51:52 by Tim_w »

(28/5/03/850)

Offline Tim_w

• This and That
  • Playmo Addict
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2007, 21:12:55 »
This accident was a very different one indeed because it was our very first chemical incident. It was also the very first time that chemical suits were worn by my fire fighters. This incident was attended by our Chemical Incident Unit, which is still waiting to be replaced when a suitable vehicle becomes available. Fumes from the accident overcame passengers on a bus, who had to be removed and washed down by fire fighters before being taken to hospital. It is with regret that I have to report that the driver of the truck involved was killed in the collision. The first casualty claimed by this particular stretch of road.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2007, 21:19:08 by Tim_w »

(28/5/03/850)

Offline Tim_w

• This and That
  • Playmo Addict
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2007, 21:14:11 »
Things started to get better but the accidents got bigger and heavier vehicles were involved. This accident involved two HGV’s one of which was transporting a digger. It was a freak accident, caused by a stray goat running into the road making one of the trucks swerve violently. At the time of the accident our fire service was carrying out a trial on a special recovery vehicle, which is shown in attendance. This vehicle did not last long and was broken up shortly after. A trial run was also carried out on airbags but they proved very cumbersome and didn’t make a come back until recently when the technology had improved. The technology available to the fire fighters had by this point developed considerably and it was the first time true hydraulic cutting gear was used, however the hydraulic pumps were quite primitive.
This was also a turning point for me because I was getting to grips with my first digital camera !
« Last Edit: April 14, 2007, 21:52:54 by Tim_w »

(28/5/03/850)

Offline Tim_w

• This and That
  • Playmo Addict
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2007, 21:17:48 »
So there you have it, a blast from the past, a chance for me to reminisce. Thank you all for taking the time to look at these pictures, its a pleasure to share them with you. Deleted from the net many years ago these pictures can finally exist here in their new home for all to share.

The final picture is of some of the fire fighters from the early days posing in front of their engines (Circa 2003).

Kindest Regards  Tim  :wave:

(28/5/03/850)

Offline playmofire

• Klicky Firemeister
  • Playmo Guru
    • Copt Hewick Volunteer Fire Brigade - probably the world's smallest fire brigade!
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2007, 21:47:58 »

I must take this opportunity to say a big thank you to Gordon (Playmofire) who has been a constant inspiration throughout, a really great guy. My Playmobil Fire Service wouldnt be where it is today without his guidance, support, help and inspiration. Infact i doubt wether any of it would have been possible without seeing his wonderful pictures for the first time.

You greatly underestimate your own abilities here, Tim, both photographically and in terms of imagination and design, but it's nice of you to say what you did. :-[ :-[ :-[

Thanks, too, for the trip down memory lane in terms of the incidents and the development of the equipment your brigade uses.
“Today well-lived makes every yesterday a day of happiness to remember and every tomorrow a vision of hope.”

Offline Outback

• The Original Playmo Jeep Guy!
  • Playmo Fanatic
  • Everything Playmobil Jeep!
    • Jeepmobil is being revamped - but there's Jeeps here!
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2007, 01:56:54 »
Thanks, too, for the trip down memory lane in terms of the incidents and the development of the equipment your brigade uses.

Ditto. I missed seeing your interesting accident situations and the myriad of equipment brought out to handle such things. The details are always so .. hmm... perfect!

Thanks Tim. Looking forward to seeing more. (and Derek too)

Offline Richard

• Retired Playmobil
  • Wargamer
  • Playmo Master
    • Garden Wargaming
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2007, 04:11:34 »

Thank you for sharing your "old" photos, Tim ...

For some reason, there just seems to be something really delightful about seeing those early pre-digital photos. Especially, when they're photos of your wonderful Playmobil adventures.

Thanks again, Tim ... and all the best,
Richard

Offline Sylvia

• Administrator
  • Playmo Master
    • Just For Kl!cks
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2007, 16:49:01 »
I remember some of these photos quite clearly, having studied them in the past. :)

It's fun to see them again. :D

Thanks for posting them here, Tim! :)9

Offline Tim_w

• This and That
  • Playmo Addict
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2007, 19:40:36 »
Hello  Gordon, OB, Richard and Sylvia

Thank you for the kind feedback, glad you liked the old pictures. It brought back a few memories and i was surprised to see how my Fire Service had developed over the  years. I did enjoy putting all the pictures back together again and remembering the story's that went with them.

Kindest Regards  Tim

(28/5/03/850)