Author Topic: 4871 Review - Lion knight troop  (Read 8537 times)

Offline Gis

• Playmo Master
  • Polar Bears are cool!
Re: 4871 Review - Lion knight troop
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2010, 11:31:16 »
Lovely pictures~!!! I dont have the time to got ttrough your review now Gis (will do so once I get home) but the blonde knight's torso looks very interesting!!! Its a new mold is it not??

It's a regular silver torso, the armor is seperate and is new AFAIK!

Offline Wolf Knight

• Playmo Guru
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2010, 11:35:49 »
It's a regular silver torso, the armor is seperate and is new AFAIK!

Oh so its like the half plate one! Cool!

Offline Elric

• Playmo Master
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2010, 13:35:12 »
Good review!  Can't wait for these to come to the states.

Offline Martin Milner

• Eugene, Oregon, USA
  • Playmo Master
    • An Englishman in Eugene
« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2010, 21:55:53 »
Great review Gis, I really enjoy your understated humor, and agree with so much that you say.

One thing you might have missed, if the symbol is a black lion (I think maybe it's actually a leopard or puma as it lacks a mane), why is the helmet crest red? It should be BLACK, for goodness sake.

Playmo have a horror of monotone. They just seem incapable of producing a single color knight. The main man in full plate should have the plate legs, but the tops should be silver not black. With the legs they gave him, if the boots were silver to match that'd be OK. He should also be on the horse (with full caparison), and the lesser armored man act as his squire.

I don't mind the helmetless figure, I've got tons of spare helmets and hair if I want to switch, and as he's a long way from the action, he may have chosen not to wear a hot and heavy helmet, or as Eric said, maybe he just couldn't afford a helmet.

As to the cannon, gunpowder was recorded in England in 1334, during the reign of Edward III, so there's plenty of opportunity for an early cannon like this one, though what on earth that missile is supposed to represent is another matter.

The castles in the series have no round towers, and were clearly not built with gunpowder weapons in mind. That's OK too, because obviously you don't develop a defense against a weapon before you've encountered it, nor are castles rebuilt quickly.

As the basic army-buildign set in the series I'll be buying several whern the hit the US, though as you say, there are a few modifications required to the figures to make them more acceptable. As Bolingbroke and Eric observed, you'd think the designers could do a better job than we could, but they obstinately refuse to.

Offline Gis

• Playmo Master
  • Polar Bears are cool!
« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2010, 23:32:05 »
One thing you might have missed, if the symbol is a black lion (I think maybe it's actually a leopard or puma as it lacks a mane), why is the helmet crest red? It should be BLACK, for goodness sake.

I don't mind the helmetless figure, I've got tons of spare helmets and hair if I want to switch, and as he's a long way from the action, he may have chosen not to wear a hot and heavy helmet, or as Eric said, maybe he just couldn't afford a helmet.

I agree with you on the fear of Monotone knights although the Red Lion doesn't bother me that much. There main color is yellow with white and black added with red accents. I think it works fine. It makes them less evil :-)

I understand that it is no problem for us to swap his head gear and I already suggested that. I just don't like it *grin*

Thanks for your very constructive feedback Martin!

Offline baden-wurttemberg

• Firefighter Enthusiast
  • Playmo Master
    • http://stores.ebay.com/Baden-Wurttemberg
« Reply #15 on: September 17, 2010, 02:03:37 »
Thank you for the great review Gis! I love the canon!  :love: Great pics!  :wave:

Baden  :fireman:
Take every chance you get in life, because some things only happen once.

Offline Heronimus

• Playmo Addict
« Reply #16 on: September 17, 2010, 04:42:49 »
Gis, maybe you can take a picture of the instructions so playmodb could see new contribution from you~~!!!  8} 8-)

Offline Gis

• Playmo Master
  • Polar Bears are cool!
« Reply #17 on: September 17, 2010, 13:42:29 »
I already scanned them and sent them to Heather!

Offline WarriorOfToys

• Wargaming Fanatic
  • Playmo Master
    • Come check out my Playmobil movies!
« Reply #18 on: September 17, 2010, 19:56:49 »
Very nice looking set, :o
Thanks for showing us Gis. :)
Steck is BACK! <:>

Offline AndrewL

• Playmo Lover
« Reply #19 on: September 18, 2010, 11:38:54 »
Great review -- many, many thanks!

I've ordered a couple of these sets, together with some of the other new knights sets (via my German in-laws), so I should have them in a few weeks.

I had hoped I might be able to do the first review of these set, but you beat me to it! Oh well -- my fault for living on the wrong  side of the Channel  :lol:!

Cheers,

AndrewL