Author Topic: Giorginettos Medieval Collection  (Read 158020 times)

Offline Justindo

• Playmo Master
Re: Giorginettos Medieval Collection
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2010, 05:52:18 »
What a wonderfully impressive Medieval city! :wow:
:egypt: :roman: :viking: :knight: :arrr: :indian: :cowboy:

Offline Rasputin

• The Mad Monk
  • Playmo Master
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2010, 08:11:24 »
Hi Giorginetto

This is turning out to be quite a city :o. Every time you do some work to the castle you say you have more waiting or piled somewhere  :hmm: . Your supply of stecks is quite wonderful to see put to such splendid work. It looks like so far you have kept to a realistic medieval time building limitations.  Unlike some recent pictures I have seen for some reason keeping a castle logical in its layout to me looks better.

Thank you for continuing to share your progress

Rasputin "The Mad Monk"
If you hear the sound of the bell which will tell you that Grigori has been killed, if it was your relations who have wrought my death, then no one in the family will remain alive. They will be killed by the Russian people. :prays:

Offline WarriorOfToys

• Wargaming Fanatic
  • Playmo Master
    • Come check out my Playmobil movies!
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2010, 13:48:02 »
The "logical layout" as Raputin put it, is historically accurate.
There weren't any castles with giant towers streaching miles high,
They were what this castle looks like.
Simple rectangle structure, but easily defendable.
Props for historical accurate-ness!
(Not that I dont enjoy the fantasy castles, they look great to!)

And I have to agree, that is alot of steck! I wish I had that much! :o
Steck is BACK! <:>

Offline Martin Milner

• Eugene, Oregon, USA
  • Playmo Master
    • An Englishman in Eugene
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2010, 16:04:49 »

Schloss Neuschwanstein, a 19th century romance, not a medieval castle 

The Marksburg, a genuine Medieval German Castle dating back to 1100

Castles had to fit into the landscape they are defending, so they are rarely rectangular. Of the dozens of castles and walled cities I've visited, I can't think of one that was a pure rectangle. 

Offline Rasputin

• The Mad Monk
  • Playmo Master
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2010, 17:06:34 »
Hi Martin

I guess I have not looked at a lot of castle pictures and blue prints. It would be neat if somebody would take real castles and blue print them out for using stecks. My wife is studying landscape architecture maybe I could use her stuff to do it  ???

The picture of the first castle, how many stories is it ? It looks like 6-ish . I did not know they could go so high back then  :hmm:. I understand how the building need to fit into the location but what if the location was flat, similar to a valley floor like Giorginetto's location ?

Rasputin "The Mad Monk"
If you hear the sound of the bell which will tell you that Grigori has been killed, if it was your relations who have wrought my death, then no one in the family will remain alive. They will be killed by the Russian people. :prays:

Offline Giorginetto

• Playmo Master
  • Playmobil Aficionado
    • TheGiorginetto channel
« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2010, 18:15:15 »
Here is today's addition of the 3445 boxed set i bought

i have increased the height of the front round towers by anotherr level in the city , build the church ( dont like it much ..) and now building the dragons knights castle. pictures to follow asap. In response to what Rasputin you said about steck i am trying to use them all in the best way i can .. not an easy task i must say but i am enjoying it . There is never enought steck i say ... :)
:knight: Steck is Holy . Bring back more steck sets and its guardians , the Nuremberg Guards :knight:

Offline Richard

• Retired Playmobil
  • Wargamer
  • Playmo Master
    • Garden Wargaming
« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2010, 18:43:44 »

Giorginetto ...

Are you going to plant any trees inside your walled city?

At the moment, it looks like your city may have been built in the middle of a desert ...  :klickygrin:

All the best,
Richard

Offline Martin Milner

• Eugene, Oregon, USA
  • Playmo Master
    • An Englishman in Eugene
« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2010, 18:52:01 »
Hi Martin

I guess I have not looked at a lot of castle pictures and blue prints. It would be neat if somebody would take real castles and blue print them out for using stecks. My wife is studying landscape architecture maybe I could use her stuff to do it  ???

The picture of the first castle, how many stories is it ? It looks like 6-ish . I did not know they could go so high back then  :hmm:. I understand how the building need to fit into the location but what if the location was flat, similar to a valley floor like Giorginetto's location ?

Rasputin "The Mad Monk"

The first thing a castle builder does is pick a good defensible spot, so you don't get Medieval castles on flat easily accessible valley floors. It's too easy to beseige and drive siege engines right up to the walls. If there's a hill or rocky outcrop big enough, build on top of that (e.g. Edinburgh Castle and Bamburgh Castle). Even Bronze and Iron age hill forts are, aham, built on hills. If there's a spring or water source inside the castle, so much the better.

If you can have a river or sea close by the castle walls that also limits the attackers' options. A moat is just a way of artificially creating that waterlogged area where siege engines and troops can't go so easily. You could also bring supplies into a castle more easily via water than over land.

The first of those two castles I showed is fairly modern, built in the 19th century as a fantasy castle, and the one that inspored the Disney castle. If you ever see a castle in a valley, it wasn't built with defense in mind.

It'd be neat to be able to create more accurate castles, based on real blueprints, from steck, but very few castles have absolutely flat walls. If they'd made a couple of angled corner connectors, we could get closer to reality.

Offline Giorginetto

• Playmo Master
  • Playmobil Aficionado
    • TheGiorginetto channel
« Reply #18 on: February 18, 2010, 19:18:15 »
and here are most of the trees and the green dragons castle , currently only populated by green dragons being attacked by a brave ( ?) red dragon ... ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

only have about 15 pieces of steck left now !!! ;D ;D ;D ;D
:knight: Steck is Holy . Bring back more steck sets and its guardians , the Nuremberg Guards :knight:

Offline Giorginetto

• Playmo Master
  • Playmobil Aficionado
    • TheGiorginetto channel
« Reply #19 on: February 18, 2010, 19:32:31 »
Hi Giorginetto

This is turning out to be quite a city :o. Every time you do some work to the castle you say you have more waiting or piled somewhere  :hmm: . Your supply of stecks is quite wonderful to see put to such splendid work. It looks like so far you have kept to a realistic medieval time building limitations.  Unlike some recent pictures I have seen for some reason keeping a castle logical in its layout to me looks better.

Thank you for continuing to share your progress

Rasputin "The Mad Monk"

Couldnt agree more. I didnt want to create round tower monsters of say 5+ levels or buildings with over 4-5 levels . I gave a lot of thought to the idea of having the walls 2 level high as there are at the back of the castle but i think that would make the whole lot look more unrealistic but it would definitely be very fortified !!! want to take pictures of the 4 siege towers attacking though and lots of ladders etc so i guess keeping the walls at that level is more playmo realistic in my opinion. i have used pretty much all of my steck  now  :'( :'( :'(, I realise i could do with some more to build a monastery and more trees !!! I need more trees big time  :love: :love: :love: , that forrest of mine will look like a planted pot int he middle of a big room me reckons... :-[ :-[ :-[.  Next is to build the vikings place with the 4 drakkars , they will have to go to another room and so do the forrest wit the magic klickies and the robin hood company!!!