Author Topic: 4850 Large Zoo Set  (Read 5163 times)

Offline Tiermann

• Playmo Master
  • Playmosaurus friendus
    • Animobil
4850 Large Zoo Set
« on: June 17, 2015, 13:47:26 »
I've had this review on the back burner for a while and am finally getting to doing it.
This is a review of the large zoo set 4850, the main set in the previous zoo series released in 2009. It is currently retired but a few may be left on store shelves out there yet. Some parts are returning this year in add-ons in Germany.

The box:

Offline Tiermann

• Playmo Master
  • Playmosaurus friendus
    • Animobil
Re: 4850 Large Zoo Set
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2015, 13:48:13 »
A pretty full box, with lots of bags of things to put together

Offline Tiermann

• Playmo Master
  • Playmosaurus friendus
    • Animobil
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2015, 13:49:48 »
Here it is all assembled together:

It has a nice look to it, with an interesting mix of enclosures including clear walls, rocks with clear panels, and fencing.

Offline Tiermann

• Playmo Master
  • Playmosaurus friendus
    • Animobil
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2015, 13:53:21 »
On the left is the lion enclosure. It has a large rock wall with a cave in it and a water pool, as well as a metal gate with door. There is a tree on a rock that can stand wherever you want it to go. This section I also show a small landscape piece that has the feeding times sign attached, the sign includes a clock with hands that move.

Seen from the top, there is a reasonable amount of room inside this enclosure.

There is a full lion family included with a male, female and two cubs as well as some meat for them to eat.
For visitors tot he zoo there is a family with a woman, small boy and a stroller with baby.

Offline Tiermann

• Playmo Master
  • Playmosaurus friendus
    • Animobil
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2015, 13:56:17 »
In the center is a gate. It includes a little shop area that could also be for ticketing, and a nice gate that closes with a latch in the shape of a lizard.

There is a female zookeeper and a bunch of the micro animals to sell as souvenirs.

Seen from the outside the back of the largest wall piece is open, which isn't as attractive. It's not too distracting though and there is plenty of other stuff to see there.

Offline Tiermann

• Playmo Master
  • Playmosaurus friendus
    • Animobil
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2015, 14:00:47 »
The right side has two enclosures. Here we see the other zookeeper, a man. Note there is a faucet with a hose for getting water and a few tools that can clip on one of the connection pieces.

The giraffe feeder was new to this set and is so far unique I believe. It's a very nice piece and looks great. It clips on with a system x tab so can be attached to buildings as well.

Animals for the front part include a giraffe and baby and a zebra and baby sharing a mixed enclosure here.

Offline Tiermann

• Playmo Master
  • Playmosaurus friendus
    • Animobil
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2015, 14:10:20 »
The other section on the right side is an elephant enclosure with the more recent style elephant and baby. This section is way too small for the animals.

It does have the interesting hut building included though. That building and the green fencing are part of an add-on released in 2015.
An interesting point about it not seen from the usual views is that it has three connection points for fencing, one off the center of the back.

That would allow you to make it the center of up to three different exhibit areas.

Overall I think this is one of the best zoo sets they have done. Along with the Asian Zoo set ( see review here ) also in this series it makes for a great basic zoo. I really like this fencing style with the rock walls and glass sections, and the connection pieces are really nicely done. The short red walls from this set and clear walls have also been available in an add-on which is helpful in expanding your exhibits.

Here is what it can look like with the 7438 barn add-on and an expanded wall section. See review of the add-on here

That's it for this review, thanks for reading

Offline Birdie

• Playmo Master
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2015, 14:30:24 »
Such an excellent review of a great set  :)

Those rocks with the glass fence are a nice feature. Very contemporary.

Thanks a lot!

Offline Salamander

• Playmo Addict
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2015, 15:22:39 »
Thanks for the review!

I've never owned a zoo set (though I do have lots of animals), so I find them interesting as I'm unfamiliar with them for the most part.

The tall giraffe feeding basket is very cool. I like the fences, particularly with the clear bits for zoo patrons to see through.  This seems like a nice set with a good variety of animals, enclosures, people and other extras.

The barn add-on -  having seen this set in the ds catalogue, I never quite 'got' what one would do with it, as it's so open. (So not what I think of when I think of a barn). And yet, with the way you have it included as a shelter for the animals to stroll in and out of makes so much sense!

Offline playmofire

• Klicky Firemeister
  • Playmo Guru
    • Copt Hewick Volunteer Fire Brigade - probably the world's smallest fire brigade!
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2015, 19:07:00 »
Thank you, Tim, for a great review.  The set's a bit of a mixture with the lovely and often unexpected details that make Playmobil what it is, but then there is that horrible open backed wall piece!

In a couple of shots, one is the view of the entrance gate, there is a large yellow/orange piece of "vegetation".  Is it a plant of some sort, or a giant fungus, or maybe both, depending on the set.

The barn is rather under-rated as it has a number of uses, for example, it makes a great loco shed.  It is open-sided a lot, but nowhere near as open-sided as Dutch barns in the UK!

http://s0.geograph.org.uk/geophotos/03/04/06/3040645_12a29ef9.jpg
“Today well-lived makes every yesterday a day of happiness to remember and every tomorrow a vision of hope.”