Author Topic: 5258 RC Freight Train  (Read 3755 times)

Offline playmofire

• Klicky Firemeister
  • Playmo Guru
    • Copt Hewick Volunteer Fire Brigade - probably the world's smallest fire brigade!
Re: 5258 RC Freight Train
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2013, 17:21:03 »
Thanks for the extra information and pictures, Knight Train.
“Today well-lived makes every yesterday a day of happiness to remember and every tomorrow a vision of hope.”

Offline Tiermann

• Playmo Master
  • Playmosaurus friendus
    • Animobil
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2013, 01:56:28 »
Thanks for the great review, it's great to see trains back in the lineup

Offline Rhalius

• Playmo Master
« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2013, 07:37:50 »
Looks like a nice train, I always like how the clickies seem to be showing us the features of a set on the side of the box.   :)

Offline Knight Train

• Playmo Lover
  • Knight in Training
« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2013, 01:14:34 »
I got out some track and cars today to do some comparisons in capacities.  With 9 cars on a straight track both engines (a 4000 series plain locomotive versus the 5258 diesel) each had no problem pulling the cars.  I got tired to digging out cars after that, so I got out 3 flatcars and loaded them with nine 28 ounce cans of tomatoes.  The electric engine had a hard time pulling these while the 5258 diesel was able to pull them with no problems and no slippage.

So, it would seem that the new engine does have more hauling capacity.  However, I can add 2 electric engines together to increase the capacity (see http://www.playmodb.org/cgi-bin/your_set_list.pl?setlist=4052), while I think it would be tricky to put 2 battery engines together and get the speed right on both of them.

Offline playmofire

• Klicky Firemeister
  • Playmo Guru
    • Copt Hewick Volunteer Fire Brigade - probably the world's smallest fire brigade!
« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2013, 06:31:01 »
Did the flat cars have the weights underneath them, Wolf Knight?

With the old R/C trains I ran double headers by putting the same colour receiver in each train and using a single controller.  Maybe you can do the same if you have two 5258s and choose the same wavelength.
“Today well-lived makes every yesterday a day of happiness to remember and every tomorrow a vision of hope.”

Offline Wesley Myers

• Playmo Master
« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2013, 16:11:28 »
I got out some track and cars today to do some comparisons in capacities.  With 9 cars on a straight track both engines (a 4000 series plain locomotive versus the 5258 diesel) each had no problem pulling the cars.  I got tired to digging out cars after that, so I got out 3 flatcars and loaded them with nine 28 ounce cans of tomatoes.  The electric engine had a hard time pulling these while the 5258 diesel was able to pull them with no problems and no slippage.

So, it would seem that the new engine does have more hauling capacity.  However, I can add 2 electric engines together to increase the capacity (see http://www.playmodb.org/cgi-bin/your_set_list.pl?setlist=4052), while I think it would be tricky to put 2 battery engines together and get the speed right on both of them.

It's good to hear they are improving things. 

Mind you, it's also new batteries. 

Even with two engines and one was running slower than the other (batteries) they would still work fine - I would think in real life you would never get two locomotives that have exactly the same power either - one engine is going to produce slightly more or less Horse Power than the other(s) in the train.  Yet, they would still work together to haul heavier loads.  So I'm sure it's all good. 

Offline Knight Train

• Playmo Lover
  • Knight in Training
« Reply #16 on: July 22, 2013, 16:50:42 »
Did the flat cars have the weights underneath them, Wolf Knight?

Yes, all cars, even the 9 mixed cars, had the weights under the frame.