Author Topic: 5140 - New redcoats cannon boat  (Read 11858 times)

Offline Sir Pleamo

• Playmo Fanatic
5140 - New redcoats cannon boat
« on: August 17, 2011, 16:02:15 »
…today the postman has brought me the whole bundle of the brand new pirat sets! So I decided to make a review of some of the sets!
Here now I will review one of the new ships:
5140 – Rotrock-Kannonensegler (Redcoats cannon boat)

Offline Sir Pleamo

• Playmo Fanatic
Re: 5140 - New redcoats cannon boat
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2011, 16:03:04 »
The cover and box design of these new pirate sets is really nice and looks quite modern. Unusal is that the classical blue is only at the bottom of the box. The nice sunset feeling covers this blue from the middel over the top of the box (comparable to the new box design as those of the Top Agent sets)...

Offline Sir Pleamo

• Playmo Fanatic
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2011, 16:04:18 »
…but what’s in the box
First the hull parts. The hull is based on the 4444 set but the blue railings give the whole ship a much bigger appearance. This ship class can be called to be between the 4444 ships and those of the Schooners. For customers it might be interesting that the railings and the masts are compatible with these 4444 hull type.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2011, 16:13:46 by Sir Pleamo »

Offline Sir Pleamo

• Playmo Fanatic
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2011, 16:05:09 »
…the hull parts aside, you will find three bags in the box, too.
The first one contains the sails, mast, and some smaller parts for use with them. Also the construction sheet and the decals are in that bag.

Offline Sir Pleamo

• Playmo Fanatic
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2011, 16:05:53 »
The second bag includes mainly the cannon and helm parts.

Offline Sir Pleamo

• Playmo Fanatic
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2011, 16:06:44 »
In the third bag the Klickys are in. There are two Klickys: one redcoad soldier and one officer.

Offline Sir Pleamo

• Playmo Fanatic
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2011, 16:09:46 »
The appearance of the ship is very nice. The sails are not from the same material than most of the older ships but have a more paper-like touch. But all in all they do their job very well. The decals look a little cheap. The coloration is not as nice as it could be, so I decided not to use them and replace them with hand-made ones. So on the picture I have left them off.

The anchor and its chain looks great but are plastic, not metal. I guess the good old times are over and we have to accept that metal anchors will not be reintroduced soon!

The helm is a little bit strange, better to say not the helm (it is the same as used in nearly every ship) but the coloration. The yellow do not fit very well to the rest of the ship. The blue corsair ship (e.g. 3860) has a quite similar color combination but there the yellow color is more present in the whole design. Here in this set the yellow helm looks like a contaminant.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2011, 16:16:41 by Sir Pleamo »

Offline Sir Pleamo

• Playmo Fanatic
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2011, 16:12:03 »
The Klickys are very nice but the soldier has an imprinted belt instead of those older redcoats. The best within the Klickys is the officer’s hair. WOW I really need a lot of these hairs, they are perfect!
The new rapier is very nice too. It is made from some soft plastic (a little bit like rubber), so it has a real rapier feeling!

Offline Sir Pleamo

• Playmo Fanatic
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2011, 16:12:42 »
All in all I really like this set and this one ship will not be the last one in my fleet! The price (about 20 EURO) is really acceptable and makes the set not only a nice set for collectors and customers but also for parents and their children (yes, I have heard about the fact that sometimes even kids are interested in Playmobil, strange thing, isn’t it?)

Offline tonguello

• Playmo Master
    • tonguello
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2011, 16:27:53 »
I love this set!!! And I will get it as soon as I can!  :)
Thanks for the review Sir Pleamo!
...“But waiting can’t be bad, for plastic men, as I have learnt, are made to wait when playing's done”...
Check my blog: www.funfanphotoys.tumblr.com