Author Topic: 4292 Pirate celebration  (Read 13391 times)

Offline Rasputin

• The Mad Monk
  • Playmo Master
Re: 4292 Pirate celebration
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2008, 13:44:36 »
Even at a quickie it is a great style ( Review mixed with story )

Thanks for the info , sounds like it will be some where in the $15-$20 range in the US  :wow:
If you hear the sound of the bell which will tell you that Grigori has been killed, if it was your relations who have wrought my death, then no one in the family will remain alive. They will be killed by the Russian people. :prays:

Offline Gustavo

• Playmo Master
  • At your service
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2008, 14:42:41 »
15,oo 20,oo ($) should go about 30,oo (Reais*); it's 150,oo Reais, believe it! >:(

I'll let the Brasilian playmobilist community to know this, aw, I will! ...

(Sorry Playmofriends ... Maybe I shouldn't be saying this outloud HERE ...)

Blackhair Gus
uh ... not here : it's monday morning (...)!

*Brasilian money
Gus
:blackhair:

Offline Martin Milner

• Eugene, Oregon, USA
  • Playmo Master
    • An Englishman in Eugene
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2008, 15:36:08 »
These Brazilian prices do seem extraordinarily inflated, Gus. 

In terms of US to UK prices, it's partly the mad exchange rate that makes the US stuff seem so cheap to those of us in the UK, though I still don't plan to be buying much Playmobil on my next US trip.

This doesn't seem the case with Brazil, so what is it? Is there high import customs duty in Brazil? Is it that toys generally are considered a luxury? Or that Playmobil is so well thought of, that it can genuinely command thse high prices?

Is Lego simialrly available, and similarly expensive?

My brother used to edit a board & wargames magazine many moons ago, and in reviewing any new game, included a "Heft Test", that is, put the item on the scales and see what weight you're getting for your money. A lot of big boxes have a lot of air inside, and aren't good value. Lego costs more than Playmobil for a similar size box, but you get a lot more plastic inside, naturally.

When I was at TRU at the weekend I saw one Playmobil set with several SWAT vehicles and figures all in the same box at great value - except I already had them all. The helicopter, 4x4 tank, boat and jetski, with all assocated figures, all in one set. TRU (in the UK) seem to get odd US sets occasionally, that don't even appear on the Playmobil US website.

Offline LHAAP

• Playmo Lover
« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2008, 15:49:43 »
Here in Denmark the set, which you have just reviewed, Martin, costs about £ 20. I think that the high Danish prices have something to do with the very high Danish VAT at 25% >:(

Are you sure, Gus, that this pirate set will cost 150 in Brazil? That sounds crazy :hmm:

Offline Martin Milner

• Eugene, Oregon, USA
  • Playmo Master
    • An Englishman in Eugene
« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2008, 15:58:46 »
Here in Denmark the set, which you have just reviewed, Martin, costs about £ 20. I think that the high Danish prices have something to do with the very high Danish VAT at 25% >:(

That'd be part of it, but we're paying 17.5% VAT in the UK, so 25% would only make the price £13.83.

Offline LHAAP

• Playmo Lover
« Reply #15 on: July 07, 2008, 16:01:08 »
That'd be part of it, but we're paying 17.5% VAT in the UK, so 25% would only make the price £13.83.

Yes, you're right!

What can I say - everything in the Nordic countries is expensive...

Offline Gustavo

• Playmo Master
  • At your service
« Reply #16 on: July 07, 2008, 19:07:22 »
Are you sure, Gus, that this pirate set will cost 150 in Brazil? That sounds crazy :hmm:
Doesn't it?

143,pennies, to be a bit more specific. (I'd have bought it, if it were for less.)

After the moment of intense fury, reading Martin's reasoning ("but why?, how can? ..."), I stopped to think about [what] I can do as a citizen so as not to get out destroying ... (Because this is the deepest feeling of the horses-of-the-will.)

If at $15, plus $39, I'll get for ... uhm = about $55? = about 80 Reais, through the internet. [Maybe 90 ... Expensive, but expected, and "reasonable" (I can reason about).]

quick_Gus
« Last Edit: July 07, 2008, 19:23:34 by Gustavo »
Gus

Offline Rasputin

• The Mad Monk
  • Playmo Master
« Reply #17 on: July 07, 2008, 23:41:33 »
150 Reais is what like $100  ??? is that right ?

Edit : ok is it $92.43 to be more specific
If you hear the sound of the bell which will tell you that Grigori has been killed, if it was your relations who have wrought my death, then no one in the family will remain alive. They will be killed by the Russian people. :prays:

Offline Gustavo

• Playmo Master
  • At your service
« Reply #18 on: July 08, 2008, 03:41:07 »
150 Reais is what like $100  ??? is that right ?

Edit : ok is it $92.43 to be more specific

The Real is (about) $ 1,6.

It's all a bit absurd, and a bit off-topic ... I am sorry, it was only something that went out, but it has nothing to do with you all, guys : it's among Brasilians.

Besides, I'll go on buying through the internet, anyway, so ... Whatever, in a way. & I'll see what to do as a Carioca citizen (and Brasilian). I mean, this is up to me. Has to be.

But thanks for the concern, Rasputin ...

Gus
Gus

Offline Gustavo

• Playmo Master
  • At your service
« Reply #19 on: July 08, 2008, 03:59:03 »
These Brazilian prices (1) do seem extraordinarily inflated, Gus. 

This doesn't seem the case with Brazil, so what is it? Is there high import customs duty in Brazil? (2) Is it that toys generally are considered a luxury? Or that Playmobil is so well thought of, that it can genuinely command thse high prices?

(3) Is Lego simialrly available, and similarly expensive?

They are inflated, Martin.

Playmobil is well thought, but it isn't a popular toy, never were. Only, back in the '80s, when I was a child and my parents bought them, they had a better economical situation than I nowadays, as well as there was no internet, so, very few people would know that in the States, it costed less than the third part. But they are a bit exagerately inflated, all right, and it may affect geobra Brandstätter's market in Brasil, so, maybe because of Brasilian commercial sector's (foolish) ambition, they will loose again, in little time, the chance of allowing Playmobil to become a common toy in Brasil. To collectors it isn't so bad. To children, and culture, it is. This makes me sad. Playmobil is a bit like teaching a child to read ... It makes the future citizen a better person. (As well as Lego ... as long as there are both Lego and Playmobil -- a theory of mine ...)

Lego is very popular in Brasil. It is in the market for a long time, I consider (since 1986 or 87, that I can remember). Maybe it isn't that more cheap, but it IS cheaper, and, in a way, it is much easier to reach children than Playmobil, for the reasons you wrote (air versus plastic in a box of the same size). I'll make research on Lego prices, although it's been difficult to remember so: when I go into a toystore, I get a bit hypnotized by blue boxes ... Odd feeling! I kinda like it ... Too bad maybe it doesn't last long, but, well, last week, bought two little boxes, and for buying little boxes, although very (very) expensive, it's possible. (143,oo Reais is impossible to me, for moral reasons, but a little box is possible.) So, I hope I'll remember researching Legos' prices, so as to think about reasons for this absurd phenomenon.

Thanks for asking. Your questions did make me think good things, and now I think I'll go to Playmoboard to try to calm things down, over there, after my ... Expressed fury there, as well. (There's at least two other Brasilian guys there, from Rio. This is something odd to me, about Playmoboard, that big town (...).)

I honestly like this yellow forum better ... Everything is so dark, in Playmoboard. And there's no emotiklickys over there.

I'm a bit off-topic in this again.

Gus
Gus