Author Topic: 'Here come the fantasy creeps'  (Read 1944 times)

Offline Macruran

• desperate but not serious
  • Playmo Master
  • Hiya!
    • my incomplete collection spreadsheet
'Here come the fantasy creeps'
« on: November 21, 2014, 06:58:34 »
I am not into this theme at all but when I saw the dwarf I had to have him. Then I noticed that a klicky in a cannon set looked a lot like an elf - so I got him. Elf and dwarf. Then Gandalf showed up in the Figures series. Done. The three of them together were clearly missing a fighter type, so I looked through the sets until I found a tough looking guy.

"We like things in little." - G. Stein  
 :roman:

Offline Pynedor

• Playmo Master
Re: 'Here come the fantasy creeps'
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2014, 12:17:44 »
Nice group! <*) I actually really like the green dragon knights. It's sort of cool that figures are still being released that fit with their order.
~Pynedor~

Offline Macruran

• Playmo Master
  • Hiya!
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2014, 16:33:01 »
The edge of that theme is interesting. What I mean is, out on the fringes it starts to become a general fantasy/Tolkien/D&D theme, as in the figures shown here: wizard, elf, dwarf, fighter. Classic fantasty types. Yet they're all still wearing the green dragon army livery. So there's a tension there.

Offline playmofire

• Klicky Firemeister
  • Playmo Guru
    • Copt Hewick Volunteer Fire Brigade - probably the world's smallest fire brigade!
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2014, 19:33:07 »
Well, the one on the left could be a scout for the green dragon army and the one next to him a squire for a knight (he lloks young enough for this).  The next one could be the official green dragon army wizard, like Merlin and King Arthur, and the dwarf on the right could be just that, a dwarf to amuse the king and his top men, as used to be the case in mediaeval times.
“Today well-lived makes every yesterday a day of happiness to remember and every tomorrow a vision of hope.”

Offline Macruran

• Playmo Master
  • Hiya!
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2014, 20:19:14 »
Exactly, it could go either way, though recall that medieval armies did not have uniform, er, uniforms the way modern armies do. So it's a bit strange.

Offline playmofire

• Klicky Firemeister
  • Playmo Guru
    • Copt Hewick Volunteer Fire Brigade - probably the world's smallest fire brigade!
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2014, 11:46:15 »
though recall that medieval armies did not have uniform, er, uniforms the way modern armies do.

You are quite right.  The king or lord would call upon his retainers to provide a given number of fighting men.  In mediaeval times, the word "lance" didn't just refer to a weapon, it also was a military unit consisting of a knight and his squire and a number of men-at-arms, a lance in total being about half-a-dozen men.  The men-at-arms might have padded jackets for protection and a padded cap or simple metal helmet and some sort of insignia, a badge maybe, which showed which knight they followed.  As a result, a mediaeval army would be a mix of colours and coats-of-arms.
“Today well-lived makes every yesterday a day of happiness to remember and every tomorrow a vision of hope.”