Author Topic: Yet more medieval customs  (Read 3703 times)

Offline Wolf Knight

• Playmo Guru
Re: Yet more medieval customs
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2010, 16:52:22 »
Anyway, I thought the basic mix of black bodies and yellow arms, but with red details (hoods and belts) seemed to fit well. I wish I had more parts like the collar from this guy 30 00 5180 - Archer, Yellow Shirt, Red Squared collar from the Merry Men's feast, or this guy from the Wolf Clan knights 30 00 9770 - Mercenary. But alas, I don't.

But if I ever do get some, I'll try to add a bit more variety to the dragon-serpent guys.

I hope that you'll be able to get them pretty soon! then we'll be able to enjoy more of your customs!!

Offline AndrewL

• Playmo Lover
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2010, 17:11:20 »
I hope that you'll be able to get them pretty soon!

Unfortunately, both figures are discontinued and no longer available when ordering as spare parts. I know -- I tried  :'(

I haven't the time to trawl through Ebay on a regular basis for the figure from the Merry Men's feast, and that whole set goes for a premium on Ebay (as I'm sure you know).

That having been said, I do have another order of parts from DS on the way, so there will be more customs appearing fairly soon...

And I've still got quite a few groups that are 'done' that I haven't photographed yet!

Cheers,

AndrewL

Offline Gepetto

• Playmo Master
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2010, 18:26:35 »
Thank you Andrew for sharing these with us! I am enjoying the way you establish some personality with the collars or neckerchiefs while maintaining the overall look of a kindred unit. I am afraid I have always been more of a clone army type, reserving any personalities for the commanders but I like what you are doing and think I will make some changes.  :wave:

Gepetto

Offline Richard

• Retired Playmobil
  • Wargamer
  • Playmo Master
    • Garden Wargaming
« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2010, 21:47:46 »

Anyway, first today are troops bearing what I call the 'dragon-serpent' emblem (from the 4441 Attack Tower). I rather like this blazon ...

I, too, like this emblem, Andrew!

Your "Dragon-Serpent" troops appeared to be, IMO, the most colorful and some of your bravest warriors on the battlefield!
(see attachment)

And, as you probably already know, a similar winged version of the "dragon-serpent" emblem was also produced by Playmobil. (see attachments.)

Thanks for sharing your great customs.

All the best,
Richard

Offline Justindo

• Playmo Master
« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2010, 23:13:27 »
Those are great customs, Andrew!
:egypt: :roman: :viking: :knight: :arrr: :indian: :cowboy:

Offline WarriorOfToys

• Wargaming Fanatic
  • Playmo Master
    • Come check out my Playmobil movies!
« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2010, 02:12:02 »
SUPER-DUPER FANTASTIC FABULOUS EXTRAORDINARY KNIGHTS ANDREW!!!
:(o): :clap: :wow: :(o): :clap: :wow: :(o): :clap: :wow: :yippee:
They just keep getting better and better!
I loved the Yellow serpent emblem,
But never really got enough to create a very formidable group. (Untill recently)

Do you have any more of those pictures Richard? :camera:
Where did that one come from? :D

And I love your Barbarien group too Andrew!
I never actualy disliked them...  ???
I always thought they looked rather nice in their purple uniforms...
And with a few customs they could become a great looking army.
Just like yours! ;)
Thanks as always for the pictures!
Steck is BACK! <:>

Offline AndrewL

• Playmo Lover
« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2010, 11:04:55 »
Hi WoT,

Thanks for the (very enthusiastic!) compliments!

The one of the pictures Richard posted is from the Playmobil 'Magic' set 3841 Dragon Temple (3841 - Dragon's Temple). Another is of the 7669 Green Dragon Knights add-on set, which is still available (in the UK, at least).

The first one is taken from a thread on the Garden Wargaming forum showing pictures of a battle I fought last summer with my troops. You can find a link here: http://www.playmofriends.com/forum/index.php?topic=4336.0, or go direct to the G-W thread here: http://gardenwargaming.playclicks.com/forum/index.php?topic=1387.0

Cheers,

AndrewL

Offline AndrewL

• Playmo Lover
« Reply #17 on: April 08, 2010, 11:13:15 »
And, as you probably already know, a similar winged version of the "dragon-serpent" emblem was also produced by Playmobil. (see attachments.)

Hi Richard,

Many thanks yet again for the compliments.

At the risk of sounding like a smug so-and-so: yes, I was aware of the green dragon emblem: see http://www.playmofriends.com/forum/index.php?topic=4217.msg52830#msg52830  ;D

Cheers,

AndrewL

Offline AndrewL

• Playmo Lover
« Reply #18 on: April 08, 2010, 11:30:43 »
Thank you Andrew for sharing these with us! I am enjoying the way you establish some personality with the collars or neckerchiefs while maintaining the overall look of a kindred unit. I am afraid I have always been more of a clone army type, reserving any personalities for the commanders but I like what you are doing and think I will make some changes.  :wave:

Gepetto

Hi Gepetto,

Many thanks -- glad you like 'em.

I do try to make each individual figure unique, mainly because the idea of having troops wearing genuinely identical uniforms was not prevalent in the Middle Ages. Certainly, there were lords who tried to have their followers dressed in very similar outfits, but often this was not really achievable due to lack of resources and/or the wear and tear of campaigning.

What I aim for is to have each faction equipped in such a way that the combination of colours (and where possible, the actual blazons) are such that any figure would be identifiable as belonging to a particular group. Since I actually don't want true uniformity, it makes the task of building up groups of custom figures a bit more entertaining.

Or at least, it entertains me!  :rainbow:

Cheers,

AndrewL

Offline Richard

• Retired Playmobil
  • Wargamer
  • Playmo Master
    • Garden Wargaming
« Reply #19 on: April 08, 2010, 13:09:21 »

At the risk of sounding like a smug so-and-so: yes, I was aware of the green dragon emblem: see http://www.playmofriends.com/forum/index.php?topic=4217.msg52830#msg52830  ;D

Well, duh ...  :doh:

http://www.playmofriends.com/forum/index.php?topic=4217.msg52862#msg52862

Remember, I was the one who didn't even know that I already had the set with the green dragon flag ...

http://www.playmofriends.com/forum/index.php?topic=4217.msg52899#msg52899

And, since then, I have found that I actually have several sets from this theme ...

see attachment