Author Topic: A painted-on face!  (Read 3333 times)

Offline bonniebeth

• playmo zoo architect
  • Playmo Guru
    • my youtube channel
A painted-on face!
« on: March 07, 2011, 04:06:26 »
The other day at TRU, I bought this set: http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=11220728

I should have done a review, but I immediately took the figures apart and customized them.  :-[ Anyway, the interesting thing about it is the figure with the blue shirt and black hair. He has oriental eyes, but on this one, something was very obvious that hasn't been obvious on any other oriental klickys I've had, though on closer inspection they are all like this. The eye holes are round, just like on a regular klicky, and rather than the eyes and mouth being molded in, they are painted on.

Had anyone noticed this before? I was thinking, this is a good way to get klickys to clean the face paint off of and customize, without having to look for very old klickys.
My playmobil zoo: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E-0grq9acog
In the end, we will conserve only what we love. We will love only what we understand. We will understand only what we are taught.

Offline Luis

• Playmo Master
Re: A painted-on face!
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2011, 04:13:46 »
Interesting...I've only seen these printings/painted-on eyes on some evil klickys' faces (like some knights from the dragon sets or the evil queens). However these figures' eyes were NOT meant to be Asian, just evil (you can also notice the difference b/c the eye outline is black). It would suck if from now now all Asian klickies come like this.
Enjoy the elegance and fun of 1900 with The Victorians photo story! :gent: ;D :sherlock:

Offline bonniebeth

• playmo zoo architect
  • Playmo Guru
    • my youtube channel
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2011, 04:15:51 »
Yeah, well I looked at the older ones I had, and they were the same way, but you could hardly tell. THis one is poorer quality, so the mold marks are very obvious. Plus, you can't tell in the pic, but the mouth printing is ever so slightly crooked, so you can see the outline of the mold around it, too.
In the end, we will conserve only what we love. We will love only what we understand. We will understand only what we are taught.

Offline Bill Blackhurst

• Playmo Master
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2011, 04:19:55 »
Is the Asian Klicky add on set the same way bb? ???
  Forget about all of the other stuff,....all we need is the reintroduction of the 3526 Fire Engine!

Offline Luis

• Playmo Master
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2011, 04:22:52 »
My only guess right now is that the blister figures produced for the US market come from factory leftovers to keep retail costs cheap (that head must have been a standard one and a diff eye style was just painted on to give it a different or more 'unique' appearance.

I could be wrong though, i'd like to hear other opinions.
Enjoy the elegance and fun of 1900 with The Victorians photo story! :gent: ;D :sherlock:

Offline bonniebeth

• playmo zoo architect
  • Playmo Guru
    • my youtube channel
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2011, 04:23:09 »
Is the Asian Klicky add on set the same way bb? ???
You mean this one? http://store.playmobilusa.com/on/demandware.store/Sites-US-Site/en_US/Product-Show?pid=7982&cgid=Ds_Figuren Yep! That's the ones I have. But they are good quality, and you would never notice, until you open the head and there's nothing brown in there. And if you look REALLY close, you can just barely see it. Anyway, that's a good set to get for making custom sleeping (or dead) klickys.

Offline bonniebeth

• playmo zoo architect
  • Playmo Guru
    • my youtube channel
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2011, 04:27:43 »
My only guess right now is that the blister figures produced for the US market come from factory leftovers to keep retail costs cheap (that head must have been a standard one and a diff eye style was just painted on to give it a different or more 'unique' appearance.

Well, I kind of thought the same thing. On the other hand, he has a new hair style, if I'm not mistaken. ??? It looks like one of the new caveman hairstyles.

Offline Luis

• Playmo Master
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2011, 04:33:42 »
The klickies' faces from the Asian family add on do not look painted-on (not even the kids'), but they ARE. Nothing brown inside, like Bonnie said.
Special Asian figures DID come brown inside their heads back in the day...however new versions like the ninja and the mandarin prince that come in blisters look exactly like Bonnie's figure (I just noticed that btw). I wonder what it's like with the new Specials like the samurai?

As for the new hair style on your figure, Bonnie - I'm not sure but I think it already existed in the ghost pirate sets? Someone correct me if I'm wrong please
« Last Edit: March 07, 2011, 04:41:04 by Luis »

Offline Bill Blackhurst

• Playmo Master
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2011, 04:37:55 »
The Klicky in your picture looks like he has bags under his eyes, bb! :lol:
  Forget about all of the other stuff,....all we need is the reintroduction of the 3526 Fire Engine!

Offline bonniebeth

• playmo zoo architect
  • Playmo Guru
    • my youtube channel
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2011, 04:40:16 »

As for the new hair style on your figure, Bonnie - I'm not sure but I think it already existed in the ghost pirate sets? Someone correct me if I'm wrong please

You may be right, I don't have anything from that series. Intersting that some of the older ones were molded in. I wonder why they changed it?
The Klicky in your picture looks like he has bags under his eyes, bb! :lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol: He sure does! He needs to get more sleep!