Author Topic: 4776 Mini Take Along Pirates  (Read 5665 times)

Offline Rasputin

• The Mad Monk
  • Playmo Master
4776 Mini Take Along Pirates
« on: September 06, 2008, 17:24:33 »
Well here is one more of the Mini Sets . I mainly wanted it for my first bald figure.

« Last Edit: September 06, 2008, 17:29:45 by Rasputin »
If you hear the sound of the bell which will tell you that Grigori has been killed, if it was your relations who have wrought my death, then no one in the family will remain alive. They will be killed by the Russian people. :prays:

Offline Rasputin

• The Mad Monk
  • Playmo Master
Re: 4776 Mini Take Along Pirates
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2008, 18:03:29 »
Opening the set . It is pretty self explanatory what is in the set . The cape is in black and has the prong for the sword . It does not seem correct to have a sword on the out side of a cape and it wanted to rotate around and fall out of its holder . If i were a active villain i think i would prefer the element of surprise and have my weapons under my coat . The klickies fit nicely with the newer fantasy pirates theme. Lots of detail prints on the clothing, nice color tones ( deep red, white & gray ) and the scruffy seaman's face 

If you hear the sound of the bell which will tell you that Grigori has been killed, if it was your relations who have wrought my death, then no one in the family will remain alive. They will be killed by the Russian people. :prays:

Offline Rasputin

• The Mad Monk
  • Playmo Master
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2008, 18:10:03 »
Over all it is a nice set with high Czech Republic quality . The kids will love it in a restaurant and in the car. It was a decent value at $14.99 with lots of play value . The one complaint i have is the blue color of the stone and the red cannon ( i prefer brown wood & gray rock ) In these pics i took off the handle to give it a more realistic cave look .

Offline Gepetto

• Playmo Master
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2008, 18:34:17 »
Thank you Rasputin, I really have not given these sets the attention I should have (too busy looking for Roman and Crusader blister packs). I especially like the looks of the stone doorway and the bald klicky is a nice bonus. Problem is, every time I see one of these sets I think for a few dollars more I could get another #4444!

Steve

Offline Rasputin

• The Mad Monk
  • Playmo Master
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2008, 18:50:26 »
I really have not given these sets the attention I should have
I did not want them at first also, but my middle son loves containers and my wife loves the kids to have something to occupy their time at a restaurant ( besides shotting spit wads at people and embarrassing her )

I especially like the looks of the stone doorway and the bald klicky is a nice bonus.
This is why i chose to get this set, I just wish it were dark grey and not blue ? I may repaint to door to take away some of the attention to the skull . The bald guys are great

Problem is, every time I see one of these sets I think for a few dollars more I could get another #4444!
I have the same problem, the 4444 is $2 more and a great set . My kids needs were a factor in the decision

Offline Gepetto

• Playmo Master
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2008, 19:18:48 »
I have the same problem, the 4444 is $2 more and a great set . My kids needs were a factor in the decision

Such selflessness is surely worthy of a reward!! But what?  Hmm.. What indeed?

Gepetto

Offline Richard

• Retired Playmobil
  • Wargamer
  • Playmo Master
    • Garden Wargaming
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2008, 19:55:45 »

Thanks for another GREAT review, Ras!

These new "Take-Along" sets are so well made that it's a real shame that Playmobil's design team didn't think ahead just a wee bit.

Imagine how cool it would have been if they had been designed to all fit together to become a larger structure.

This would have also made more money for Playmobil as every kid would have wanted the entire collection to be able to complete their "larger" structure.

Once again, I hope that Playmobil is reading!

All the best and thanks again, Ras,
Richard

Offline Martin Milner

• Eugene, Oregon, USA
  • Playmo Master
    • An Englishman in Eugene
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2008, 09:12:16 »

Thanks for another GREAT review, Ras!

These new "Take-Along" sets are so well made that it's a real shame that Playmobil's design team didn't think ahead just a wee bit.

Imagine how cool it would have been if they had been designed to all fit together to become a larger structure.

This would have also made more money for Playmobil as every kid would have wanted the entire collection to be able to complete their "larger" structure.

Once again, I hope that Playmobil is reading!

All the best and thanks again, Ras,
Richard

Time for me to swallow a couple of large wedges of humble pie.

I argued against Richard and others about the Spanish Lighthouse, because they wanted it to be customisable (i.e. part of a modular build system) and I wasn't convinced.

Well I am coming round to their opinion that all these buildings COULD be designed as customisable, so why NOT do it? I'm not saying Playmobil is a building system liek Lego, but the buildings it produces could be more adaptable, with just a few changes in design. Having invented their system-X connectors (for good or evil), why not employ them in these designs?

Like the supersets, the lighthouse, the take-along sets, and from the looks of them the coming Egyptian buildings, this is not designed to be integrated into anything bigger, which just seems rather short sighted of the designers. It coiuld so easily have connected to the big rock base from the Rock Castle.

This set seems like good value for what you get, but I hate the skull-brand on the door, and won't be splashing out on this set. Probably.

Offline Richard

• Retired Playmobil
  • Wargamer
  • Playmo Master
    • Garden Wargaming
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2008, 11:19:00 »

Time for me to swallow a couple of large wedges of humble pie.

"Humble pie" ... Hmmm ... I, too, have had that taste in my mouth before ...  :-[

Martin, my friend, please don't be so hard on yourself. It's those bozos pretending to be Playmobil's design team that we should really be hard on. They are failing us as well as Mr. Brandstätter and ALL of Playmobil's customers and ALL of the children who will never know the previous versatility of this wonderful toy ...  :sadklicky:

All the best,
Richard

Offline Timotheos

• Visitor
  • Playmo Addict
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2008, 12:48:24 »
Over all it is a nice set with high Czech Republic quality .

I'm not certain whether the above quote was intended as sarcasm.

Which eastern European countries have good reputations, and which ones have bad reputations?