Author Topic: Some US Retailer News  (Read 1277 times)

Offline Tiermann

• Playmo Master
  • Playmosaurus friendus
    • Animobil
Some US Retailer News
« on: August 29, 2017, 21:42:39 »
I just placed my order for the next Figures series with my local shop and heard some interesting news about what Playmobil USA is doing this fall. It looks like they are going to offer two of the new series for next year early as exclusives for their brick and mortar toy shop retailers, and that they will not be available online. The series are the winter releases that we would be expecting to see - the Shopping Mall sets 9078 to 9082 and the Airport / Fire series 5337-5338 and 5395-5399. I would guess they will come available online next January or February, but this way the local shops get something exclusive for the Christmas season. If this in fact turns out to be true then it's a great idea and I hope it works out well for the retailers. Playmobil has been offering some sets early to Toys R US but not to their other retailers, so this may help balance that a little.

Offline Robbie

• Playmo Master
Re: Some US Retailer News
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2017, 12:39:33 »
Wow, I almost cannot believe this! I think it's great! : ) I dropped into two Toys R Us stores last week and was surprised to find the inventory had been reduced almost in half. I wonder how much longer the relationship between Toys R Us and Playmobil will last. I don't see it being very profitable for either party.  ???

Offline Ismene

• Playmo Master
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2017, 07:35:32 »
Interesting to hear.

Not that it affects me. PM availability is so dismal in this state, that I'm mostly stuck with online purchases.

Offline JLMatterer

• Playmo Master
  • Playmobil in the News
    • Plamobil In The News
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2017, 10:49:39 »
My local Mom & Pop got a large shipment of Playmobil last week, & I'm pleased to see it's selling well. Ghostbusters, new Romans, etc. The Roman with ballista almost sold out the first few days.

Offline Robbie

• Playmo Master
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2017, 03:57:33 »
The selection of independent stores carrying PM in Texas is very scarce as well. I moved to Dallas in April and although there was an long list of retailers on Playmobil's outdated dealer list, I've only found that one actually still stocks PM! There are only a handful of stores in Austin and San Antonio remaining.

Offline gloobey

• Playmo Fanatic
    • My Illustration Website
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2017, 04:05:55 »
I have a shop and can say that "yes" these two themes are coming early. I just got shipping confirmation and am expecting freight next week. Really looking forward to the airport sets.
What's the point of going, if you can't get there on a train?

Offline gloobey

• Playmo Fanatic
    • My Illustration Website
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2017, 00:56:23 »
Freight shipment arrived last week. Everything that I ordered came in, no backorders. It's really refreshing to get:
1. everything I ordered
2. new inventory items before big box TRU!

I'm hoping that the current sales/business climate at TRU means that Playmobil will shift their focus back to, what I think of, their core specialty base.I never thought it did well at big stores. It needs to be demonstrated to people by people that care about it. Something you don't get at big box. I guess time will tell here.
What's the point of going, if you can't get there on a train?

Offline Robbie

• Playmo Master
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2017, 14:56:34 »
Freight shipment arrived last week. Everything that I ordered came in, no backorders. It's really refreshing to get:
1. everything I ordered
2. new inventory items before big box TRU!

I'm hoping that the current sales/business climate at TRU means that Playmobil will shift their focus back to, what I think of, their core specialty base.I never thought it did well at big stores. It needs to be demonstrated to people by people that care about it. Something you don't get at big box. I guess time will tell here.

That's awesome! I'm glad they are showing support to independent stores. I agree with sales not being so great at the big box stores. Target started out with basically the entire lineup back in the early 2000's and now you may find one or two sets on the shelf. Toys R Us sets don't seem to move until they are 75-90% off.