Author Topic: Kirkbean Exhibition 2011  (Read 6937 times)

Offline playmofirth

• Playmo Fanatic
Re: Kirkbean Exhibition 2011
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2011, 17:57:55 »
Gordon and Elaine
I look forward to the exhibition in Kirkbean and any new ideas you might be trying. 

I am hoping to do another exhibition in Knaresborough next February and have a couple of ideas for displays.  I would like to do a long coastal display along a wall (32 ft long - the equivalent of the pirates and knights' displays combined.)  If Gordon is able to come I would like this to have a long railway along it, raised above fields a village etc. 

Mark

Offline playmofire

• Klicky Firemeister
  • Playmo Guru
    • Copt Hewick Volunteer Fire Brigade - probably the world's smallest fire brigade!
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2011, 18:30:16 »
Gordon and Elaine
I look forward to the exhibition in Kirkbean and any new ideas you might be trying. 

I am hoping to do another exhibition in Knaresborough next February and have a couple of ideas for displays.  I would like to do a long coastal display along a wall (32 ft long - the equivalent of the pirates and knights' displays combined.)  If Gordon is able to come I would like this to have a long railway along it, raised above fields a village etc. 

Mark

Sounds just the job, Mark, for the Seaport & Beachtown Coastal Railway!  In fact, I've just bought two LGB bridges for carrying the line over small river estuaries as it winds along the coast.

Look forward to seeing you at Kirkbean
“Today well-lived makes every yesterday a day of happiness to remember and every tomorrow a vision of hope.”

Offline playmofire

• Klicky Firemeister
  • Playmo Guru
    • Copt Hewick Volunteer Fire Brigade - probably the world's smallest fire brigade!
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2011, 18:52:06 »
Gordon and Elaine
 If Gordon is able to come I would like this to have a long railway along it, raised above fields a village etc. 

Mark

Something like this:

Click on the photo to go through to the video.

It's based, loosely, on the Sandsend Viaduct on the old Middlesbrough to Whitby line.  It could be a straight run (I've only put the curve in for more space, but it does look good I think) and could be widened out to include a run-around for reversing the train to the other end.
“Today well-lived makes every yesterday a day of happiness to remember and every tomorrow a vision of hope.”

Offline playmofire

• Klicky Firemeister
  • Playmo Guru
« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2011, 18:58:57 »
Elaine, if you can give me some idea of space, e.g. x feet by y feet, I can think of some ideas.  I've tried one which is shown in the video below.  (Click on the photo to go through to the video and ignore the derailment at the end!).

I've used a straight line approach because of the space I had, but the line could easily be a right angle or even a U-shape with a run along one side and the back of a table and then down the other side.  There would be space in the centre for the town.

Offline highlandcattle

• Playmo Lover
« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2011, 21:36:32 »
That last one looks very good, gordon!
How did the derailment happened at the end of the video?

Offline skypurr

• Crafty Klicky
  • Playmo Master
« Reply #15 on: June 19, 2011, 22:31:06 »
I'm still waiting to hear about the boards we are getting Gordon, so don't know actual measurements yet, but I'm sure that such a layout could be accomodated; it looks very good.  I thought the two trains were going to collide when they passed each other at the end loop though.  :0
I love your viaduct, but how much do you feed Fluff?  Those boxes would last my two cats for weeks!  :lol:

Elaine
          A house is not a home without a cat (or two).

Offline playmofire

• Klicky Firemeister
  • Playmo Guru
« Reply #16 on: June 20, 2011, 01:51:00 »
That last one looks very good, gordon!
How did the derailment happened at the end of the video?

Thanks, HC.  I'm pleased with the result and, outside, it is possible to add lots of curves and straights (and a viaduct maybe) between the two return loops.

The derailment is a bit of a mystery and seemed to be a problem with that first coach as it had happened a number of times before.  Eventually I took that coach off.  If you listen carefully as the train comes up and round the top loop, you can hear the clack clack clack of a wheel off the track and running over the sleepers.  I suspect an uneven bit of track somewhere was the cause, plus an over sensitive coach.

Offline playmofire

• Klicky Firemeister
  • Playmo Guru
« Reply #17 on: June 20, 2011, 01:59:48 »
I'm still waiting to hear about the boards we are getting Gordon, so don't know actual measurements yet, but I'm sure that such a layout could be accomodated; it looks very good.  I thought the two trains were going to collide when they passed each other at the end loop though.  :0
I love your viaduct, but how much do you feed Fluff?  Those boxes would last my two cats for weeks!  :lol:

Elaine

Glad you like the layout, Elaine.  I will experiment further with the alternative ways of laying it out and try to work the two bridges in as well, although without the cat food boxes!

On test runs, the trains did collide a number of times as it's difficult handling a camera and two RC controllers.  Then I had the bright idea of using the same chip in both trains so one controller controlled both.

Fluff eats 3 or 4 pouches a day, well maybe not "eats" as he always leaves a little reserve of about 12 pieces "just in case"  (rather like Winnie the Pooh and honey).  Sometimes the wastage rate is  bit higher as certain ones, e.g. Senior beef, are not top favourite.  I'd just stocked up with another four boxes as Sainsbury's had them on offer at two for £5, plus we had a coupon for 400 extra Nectar points if we spent £10 on pet food.  As Felix standard fish pouches and Senior ones are his favourites we stock up big time when there are offers on. These modern ideas ideas of cat food with vegetables in or steamed food etc. just don't go down with him and he just walks away.  In this he's rather more polite than our previous cat, Boots, who if he didn't like what was put down for him went through an exaggerated pantomime of pretending to bury it!

Offline playmogal

• places for playmo women to go
  • Playmo Master
  • The bride and groom topper-my son's wedding cake
« Reply #18 on: June 20, 2011, 02:01:29 »
Hope no one was seriously injured in the derailment. Are you sure this was not two Amtrak trains? They have an amazing way of derailing in the US......regularly. Peace, Pgal :wave:
After two decades of male toys (esp. Lego and PM) in our house, it is time to build something for us women!

Offline bonniebeth

• playmo zoo architect
  • Playmo Guru
    • my youtube channel
« Reply #19 on: June 20, 2011, 02:08:10 »
Just like topics around here lately. :toot:
My playmobil zoo: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E-0grq9acog
In the end, we will conserve only what we love. We will love only what we understand. We will understand only what we are taught.