Author Topic: 5919 Soldiers Fort and Small Pirate Ship  (Read 20104 times)

Offline Ds dad

• Playmo Fanatic
Re: 5919 Soldiers Fort and Small Pirate Ship
« Reply #40 on: September 08, 2011, 13:34:58 »
WoT, I put an DS order in to PM last Friday for bluecoats. I'll let you know if they come through.

Also I believe that Tahra saw this set at Cortes Ingles so it is not a funpark exclusive.

Specials in Canada cost between 2.50 and 2.90 Euros.

Offline Martin Milner

• Eugene, Oregon, USA
  • Playmo Master
    • An Englishman in Eugene
« Reply #41 on: September 08, 2011, 15:01:23 »
In itself this is not a bad little set, I prefer these soldiers to the dreadful red boots, and I can forgive the Roman arms on the pirate, treating them as ragged cut-off, though there are of course cut-off and ragged sleeves available which would have looked better. The sail is ridiculous, but it's easy enough to get a roll of material from a craft shop and replace it, using the original sail as a template. 

What bugs me crazy, boggles my mind completely, has me hitting my head repeatedly on the desk, is the mixture of Steck, System X and System Why? (my new name for the clip system) currently in use in the Pirate theme. Don't Playmobil think kids might get more than one different Pirate set, and want to be able to combine them?

Right now on Playmobil US's website you can buy two pirate buildings, one Steck, one System X, plus the 5949 Bastion (Steck-based) and the Lighthouse (System Why?). This set, if it comes to the US, is System X. The new Harbor Fort is System Why? . You can't extend system Why? with anything, and you can't easily mix Steck and system X, so the Soldiers are forever condemned to defending tiny one room buildings like this dilapidated shed.

Forts in the West Indies and on the Spanish Main (and many other places as we have discussed before) were bigger then most Medieval Castles, and had bigger standing garrisons. Why can't Playmobil create a decent-sized fort for the soldiers? It doesn't have to be huge, but at least as big as a large castle.

I recently saw two new (to me) Playmobil ships in TRU, and put them back on the shelf unpurchased. One had the red-booted soldiers (I may have to treat these as Dutch), the other was a pirate ship with an ugly skull sail. I rarely pass up a brand new set in a theme I like, but these just didn't add anything worth shelling out a combbined $55 for right now. I'll probably get them later when they go on sale or clearance, but right now I seem to be Playmobilled out.

Here's hoping the Spanish soldiers, and the blue-coated soldiers with white trousers and black shoes, are eventually available as add-ons. Then we can populate towns/forts with at least three different nations (albeit dressed centuries apart).

Offline Wolf Knight

• Playmo Guru
« Reply #42 on: September 08, 2011, 15:10:17 »
A very constructive argument Martin!

Martin, I meant to ask you for sometime now, what do you think of these ''bluecoats'' with red pants and black boots as they were issued in 3111 - Royal Artillery ?

Offline tahra

• Playmo Guru
    • playkingdoms
« Reply #43 on: September 08, 2011, 15:36:10 »
(...) System Why? (my new name for the clip system) (...)

Can I adopt that? Can I Can I CAN I?

(it's BRILLIANT!)

Offline BlackPearl2006

• Playmo Addict
  • Greetings from USA :) Pirates, Ahoy!
« Reply #44 on: September 08, 2011, 16:41:00 »

Martin, I meant to ask you for sometime now, what do you think of these ''bluecoats'' with red pants and black boots as they were issued in 3111 - Royal Artillery ?

i have several bue guys.... i assume playmobil intended them as british soldiers, but their overall scheme reminds me more of early 19th century french:

anyone aware of a more fitting british quivelent?  perhaps 18th century? If one exists, it currently eludes my knowledge.

mostly, IMO the playmo bluecoats look most like 19th century American Bluecoat Continentals:

« Last Edit: September 08, 2011, 17:00:50 by BlackPearl2006 »
Ahoy, Pirates, Hoist the Colours!

Offline Ds dad

• Playmo Fanatic
« Reply #45 on: September 08, 2011, 16:59:51 »
I always thought that the bluecoats represented the French. Right colors and the flags included with them had a Fleur de Lys on them.

http://playmodb.org/cgi-bin/showpart.pl?partnum=30%2062%204970

Offline BlackPearl2006

• Playmo Addict
  • Greetings from USA :) Pirates, Ahoy!
« Reply #46 on: September 08, 2011, 17:14:51 »
I always thought that the bluecoats represented the French. Right colors and the flags included with them had a Fleur de Lys on them.

http://playmodb.org/cgi-bin/showpart.pl?partnum=30%2062%204970

that would make sense considering playmobil has obviously english redcoats  and british naval officers, so they need someone to fight (in addition to pirates).  sort of odd though because some sets come with both, don't they?  but then again, playmobil doesn't specifically assert country designations, does it?  (even though we can usually tell who they are suppossed to represent most likely).  Although the latest ships do bare the union jack flag.  (maybe there are other flags I just don't recognize).
Ahoy, Pirates, Hoist the Colours!

Offline Wolf Knight

• Playmo Guru
« Reply #47 on: September 08, 2011, 17:22:16 »
No set comes with both redcoats and ''bluecoats''. The uniform certainly was intended for a french troop but as you have pointed out Atto it can also fit American Revolution uniform.

Offline Ds dad

• Playmo Fanatic
« Reply #48 on: September 08, 2011, 17:32:12 »

While we wait for Maritin's response . . .I have designated these as my Artillery and keep a small unit of them. I quite like the way they look even if they hae no basis in reality.

Offline WarriorOfToys

• Wargaming Fanatic
  • Playmo Master
    • Come check out my Playmobil movies!
« Reply #49 on: September 08, 2011, 20:44:16 »
WoT, I put an DS order in to PM last Friday for bluecoats. I'll let you know if they come through.

Also I believe that Tahra saw this set at Cortes Ingles so it is not a funpark exclusive.

Specials in Canada cost between 2.50 and 2.90 Euros.

Thanks! :wow:
Steck is BACK! <:>