Author Topic: DILEMA! :o  (Read 3357 times)

Offline WarriorOfToys

• Wargaming Fanatic
  • Playmo Master
    • Come check out my Playmobil movies!
DILEMA! :o
« on: June 04, 2010, 03:19:26 »
Medieval, Roman, Greek, Samurai, or Napoleonic??? 8} 8} 8} :lol:

Medieval I would start to make a main force... (So far my Medieval army is a large grouping of different classes with no real claim to the throne as no clas is much larger then another... Except for two who going by my storyline have become allies and are fighting the rest of the classes for kingship.
(The land is split into 3 Kingdoms, The corrupt Eastern Kingdom or the Holy Order of Knights (NOT very holy)
The Western Kingdom ruled by the Black Knights,
And the Northern Kingdom ruled by a King who holds little power as his Kingdom is in a civil war which allows Aun Kerac to seize a large portion of land and ally with the Western Kingdom to over throw the Holy Order of Knights.))

Ralf just made a new topic on GardenWargamming with an early republic Roman army...
Which I think would be AWSOME to have...
A little expensive mind you, probably even more so then any of these others. (Well, not my Samurai...)
But it would be wonderful to have!

Greeks...
Macadonians/Byzantines would be very cool additions, and would be awsome to fight my Roman army I could very well make these guys along with the Republic Romans in one swoop as they look very much alike.

Samurai I would start building a Samurai army because it would be awsome and I think I would enjoy it.

And Napoleonics because their uniforms are cool and I would like some British to stage battles with my Sister who wishes to build up and Austrian army. I am also thinking of French troops, but not at this time.

I am leaning away from Napoleonic actually because my sister will not make an Austrian army for some time and she will not play with them very often,
Even so a British army would be so cool! ;D

So.....
What should I do??? ???

I would like your opinions on what army I should start creating,
My Medieval army,
My Roman/Greek army,
My Samurai army,
Or a Napoleonic army...

I would like to make all of these eventually,
So what order should I make them in aswell?
Which would be best to begin making now?

I guess that is all... Please help me with this HUGE problem! ;)
Steck is BACK! <:>

Offline Gepetto

• Playmo Master
Re: DILEMA! :o
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2010, 04:32:47 »
SUCH a dilemma!  ::) ::)

Personally I would consolidate my medieval army until I am satisfied with the size and differentiate the units. Then I would opt for the Romans since their future availability is questionable and the conversions would be easier. Samurai or Napoleonics are a toss up but since you say your sister is a way from creating her army, I would opt for the Samurai. Just my  :2c:

Gepetto

Offline Martin Milner

• Eugene, Oregon, USA
  • Playmo Master
    • An Englishman in Eugene
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2010, 04:33:31 »
Could you be a little clearer on what you dilemma is? How many figures do you need to build any of these armies?

It would be a lot easier to collect existing Knight factions than customise figures for most of the other themes.

The clock is ticking on the Roman theme, so if you need many of those you better start buying.

I think Playmobil may do a Greek theme eventually, so I'm waiting for that rather than customising my own figures.

For Napoleonic, while there have been several different suitable figures to base an army on, they are hard or costly to acquire.

Offline Wolf Knight

• Playmo Guru
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2010, 04:47:04 »
I believe Gepetto and Martin are right. Finish up with the medieval army first, but slowly and quicker as you go along, strengthen the number of your roman army...The rest will come latter...

Offline WarriorOfToys

• Wargaming Fanatic
  • Playmo Master
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2010, 15:50:43 »
Cool, thanks for the advice! :)

My dilema Martin is that I have a goodly amount of money that I wish to blow.
I can blow it on one of the several options,
But it will take me a while to get enough to buy the next option.
If I buy the Medieval now I will probably be too late to buy the Romans...
But I wish to buy the Black Lion Knights, so it is a matter of time before they are gone!

But the Romans I need are already discontinued! :-\
Can I still buy the sets if they have just been discontinued? :(
(I will probably have to turn to DS... And those living in the US know how reliable that is! ::) )

That is my dilema...

The Samurai are also

Offline WarriorOfToys

• Wargaming Fanatic
  • Playmo Master
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2010, 01:39:42 »
Well,
I have decided to create my Roman army.
I am sending in the letter for the parts I need now. ;D

If they don't have any of the parts I have a back up plan...
Did you know that Canada is still selling these guys??? ;)
http://store.playmobilusa.com/on/demandware.store/Sites-CA-Site/en_CA/Product-Show?pid=4632&cgid=Roemer

And guess who's visiting Canada for a week? :love: :love: :love:

Offline Justindo

• Playmo Master
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2010, 07:35:08 »
Hi WarriorOfToys,

I was going to suggest going for the Roman option first, simply because they are going away, so I think you made a wise choice.  Even though some Roman sets have been discontinued, some will continue to be produced and many of the discontinued ones are still available from ridgeroadstation.com.

The knight theme will always be around (I really like the new upcoming ones!) and I wouldn't be surprised if Playmobil did an Ancient Greek and Asian theme in the future.  I think the Redcoats will be available as Add Ons for quite some time, and you could always get some of the French soldiers from the parts department.

What size armies are you thinking about for each?
:egypt: :roman: :viking: :knight: :arrr: :indian: :cowboy:

Offline Giorginetto

• Playmo Master
  • Playmobil Aficionado
    • TheGiorginetto channel
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2010, 17:26:01 »
I have been facing that problem for many years now over 20 infact with the romans coming in the latest years. I am addicted to mediaval armies ( over 1200 fighting klickies and more to come in ), but have managed to build a roman army of 400 strong and well i have small armies of union  and confederate soldiers ( with old type muskets , bayonnaites and cannons, cavalry they are mighty armies  BUT if you want my advice buy lots of mediaval armies 9 many sets and options ) and also British redcoats ( i want to buy 300 of them ...) , they look fabulus in great armies. Romans are awesome too see my thread of my romam army .... especially in large numbers .... also i reckon a large gal arny against romans is a great option.. and egyptians of course

sorry , i am more confused than you are .. i want them all !!!!

go for the romans  ...
:knight: Steck is Holy . Bring back more steck sets and its guardians , the Nuremberg Guards :knight:

Offline WarriorOfToys

• Wargaming Fanatic
  • Playmo Master
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2010, 01:45:25 »
Hi WarriorOfToys,

I was going to suggest going for the Roman option first, simply because they are going away, so I think you made a wise choice.  Even though some Roman sets have been discontinued, some will continue to be produced and many of the discontinued ones are still available from ridgeroadstation.com.

The knight theme will always be around (I really like the new upcoming ones!) and I wouldn't be surprised if Playmobil did an Ancient Greek and Asian theme in the future.  I think the Redcoats will be available as Add Ons for quite some time, and you could always get some of the French soldiers from the parts department.

What size armies are you thinking about for each?

That's what I thought too... mostly.
The one thing is I want to buy the Black Lion Knights,
And they are going away by next year... :'(

I do not have much money, so not as large as what Giorginetto (for example) is thinking!
Instead of 300 or so, I am only able to buy about 20-30 men.
I sort them into units of 10 (2 rows of 5).

So I am going to buy 20 Romans,
They will be a unit of Triarii, and a unit of Principe.
If they are not available via DS I will buy 20 of the original Roman Legionnaries from Canada.
http://store.playmobilusa.com/on/demandware.store/Sites-CA-Site/en_CA/Product-Show?pid=4632&cgid=Roemer
(I have family up there who can ship them to me if nessasary.)

And if all fails, I will buy 24 (maybe a few more) of the Black Lion Knights.
And Aun Kerac will finally secure his seat on the throne and can focus his attention on the mainland... ;)

Offline Justindo

• Playmo Master
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2010, 06:03:41 »
If the Black Lion Knights are going away next year, it's probably best to pick them up now.

Most of the Roman sets are going away (have gone?) too, but the figures should be around for a while.  Are you planning on having only early Republican Romans or are you going to have some Imperial Romans too?
:egypt: :roman: :viking: :knight: :arrr: :indian: :cowboy: