Author Topic: Play and Collect sets 5001 Wolf Clan and 5002 Seapeople  (Read 11238 times)

Offline Klickus Mobilius

• Playmo Addict
Re: Play and Collect sets 5001 Wolf Clan and 5002 Seapeople
« Reply #20 on: March 04, 2009, 08:42:17 »
I like the Wolf Clan.  Very cool.

I notice the large shield for left-handed klickies has appeared under another incarnation again.  What is Playmobil thinking?  I guess in this context, it's okay since the theme does not lend itself to building a large army of which an entire group is composed of lefties.

Not that there's anything wrong with that... :toot:
CARPE KLICKY!

Offline Martin Milner

• Eugene, Oregon, USA
  • Playmo Master
    • An Englishman in Eugene
« Reply #21 on: March 04, 2009, 10:25:48 »
Errr....you did read the lengthy explanation of the pavise shield that I took the trouble (and about an hour) to write in response to your last query about this shield, right KM?

I sure hope you did, but your response above suggests not or else you've forgotten it, so here it is again:

We've had quite a discussion over this shield and it's apparent wrong-handedness.

My conclusion is that the original shield (I think it first appeared in Set 3651, thanks Playmodb) was designed as a Pavise or wall shield, the sort of static shield a crossbowman would carry to within bow range of a castle walls during a siege, then shelter behind while preparing his shot, and expose his head & shoulders over the top of while shooting.

The klicky should carry the pavise within crossbow range of the target, put it down and shield behind it, while getting his bowshot ready.  A Pavise was large and heavy, so it is reasonable that the handhold was on the dominant side.

For this purpose it's ideal, but even the person setting up the packshot was confused by the handhold, and put the shield in the klicky's right hand (which is also twisted backwards) and crossbow awkwardly in his left, maybe because the figure designer had give the klicky an eyepatch on the right eye. It's been causing confusion ever since.

The pavise shield is still used correctly for crossbowmen, the most recent use in set 4808 of the Wolf Knight collection, though this klicky has a short bow (oops Playmobil).

In the case of this blister pack, originally Specials 4560 & 4632, Playmobil were really just testing the water for the potential interest in a Roman theme and nothing was quite right, they were just using existing pieces to create something like a legionary. This shield was the closest they had to the classic Roman shield.

Here's the use I put these blister figures to:

Offline Klickus Mobilius

• Playmo Addict
« Reply #22 on: March 04, 2009, 16:46:08 »
Errr....you did read the lengthy explanation of the pavise shield that I took the trouble (and about an hour) to write in response to your last query about this shield, right KM?

I sure hope you did, but your response above suggests not or else you've forgotten it,

I read your wonderful and detailed explanation of the pavise shield.  I even complimented your creative use of it and said that I liked what you did.

My point here is that I disagree with Playmobil's continued use of that shield design.  If they use it again in some future theme, I will call attention to it again because I don't particularly care for it.  (Hm.  Perhaps I should write to them directly.)  But anyway, if or when this left-handed shield reappears, expect me to once again take exception to it.
CARPE KLICKY!

Offline Amd

• Amdnrao
  • Playmo Lover
  • back to middle earth
« Reply #23 on: March 04, 2009, 17:44:04 »

yeaph... thats a pavise shield... thanks for the information...

pd: martin i like the way you use the centurion, like an auxiliar archer... thanks for the idea!!!

Offline nicki72

• Playmo Enthusiast
« Reply #24 on: March 04, 2009, 18:17:14 »
Well, I have to agree about both counts. They do look like the real animal, but also have a Barbie-ish look. But to let you better judge. Here are some pics (sorry they're later than planned).

Thanks for the photos!
Well, Barbie-ish or not, I really like this set!  Must come from having two girls (well, and being one myself! :P).  I'm sure it's the colors that make us think Barbie, as well as the "pearly" look of it...but it does have appeal!  I'm sure that the girls and I must have this set!

I don't know much about the knights and such, but I really like the color of this armour!  Most of the Knights at our house serve to protect the Fairytale castle--with the Wolf Knights and the pirates usually playing the bad guys!  ;D  I guess we're just girly!  :lol:
"If you never did, you should. These things are fun, and fun is good." ~~Dr. Seuss

Offline Martin Milner

• Eugene, Oregon, USA
  • Playmo Master
    • An Englishman in Eugene
« Reply #25 on: March 04, 2009, 19:59:44 »
I read your wonderful and detailed explanation of the pavise shield.  I even complimented your creative use of it and said that I liked what you did.

My point here is that I disagree with Playmobil's continued use of that shield design.  If they use it again in some future theme, I will call attention to it again because I don't particularly care for it.  (Hm.  Perhaps I should write to them directly.)  But anyway, if or when this left-handed shield reappears, expect me to once again take exception to it.

;D Fair enough, or as we say round these parts, Fairy Snuff.  ;D

My feeling is that for an archer it's OK, because an archer (or crossbowman) carries the shield into battle, plonks it down, and hides behind it. At least for this wolf knight set they gave it to the archer.

For the Roman Special it was a cop out, because it was the closest thing they had to the rectangular Roman shield in shape, and they didn't want to design a new shield. They had had new pieces for other specials, so there was no reason not to, but they didn't. 

I've now got abot 25 of these green pavise shields, and I'm not sure whether I'm going to keep using them for the Romans, or set them aside for another project.

Offline Little Jo

• Tool Master
  • Playmo Master
    • Little Jo's PlaymoWorld
« Reply #26 on: March 04, 2009, 21:29:43 »
Thanks for this review!

Sad to hear that there are no instructions because I planned to order the animals (wolves and large sea horses) ... now I must think about buying them although I'm not interested that much in knights or undersea tales ...  :-\

Offline Rasputin

• The Mad Monk
  • Playmo Master
« Reply #27 on: March 05, 2009, 19:56:02 »
Thanks for this review!

Sad to hear that there are no instructions because I planned to order the animals (wolves and large sea horses) ... now I must think about buying them although I'm not interested that much in knights or undersea tales ...  :-\

I know anytime i could not find a part # i simply ask the order-taker @ DS to get the #. I would provide the set#, a detailed description & color and usually they could figure it out .
If you hear the sound of the bell which will tell you that Grigori has been killed, if it was your relations who have wrought my death, then no one in the family will remain alive. They will be killed by the Russian people. :prays:

Offline Little Jo

• Tool Master
  • Playmo Master
    • Little Jo's PlaymoWorld
« Reply #28 on: March 06, 2009, 06:04:28 »
You do this by phone or in written form?

Offline sbblabotw

• Mistress of PlaymoDB
  • Playmo Addict
    • PlaymoDB ... the UNOFFICIAL online database for Playmobil® toys
« Reply #29 on: March 09, 2009, 00:21:02 »
Thanks for this review!

For a short time there were text-lists of part numbers at the set pages for the Sammelspass sets at playmobil.de, and I managed to get them into PlaymoDB before they were taken off.

PlaymoDB List - Sammelspass

I had to translate them from German, without pictures, so use at your own risk - customizer already found one error, which I've fixed, but there might be more.  I also don't know which colour of the small seahorses is which, since all of them just said "Seepferd"!  The wolves are all different, too, but they don't look that much different to me in the pictures.

Any numbers anyone discovers that I don't have, please pass them along.  Thanks!
PlaymoDB.org has catalogued over FIFTY-FIVE THOUSAND parts in more than 6100 sets. Come and visit to find any set or part numbers you need to know!