Author Topic: Community Effort Photostory  (Read 5506 times)

Offline Outback

• The Original Playmo Jeep Guy!
  • Playmo Fanatic
  • Everything Playmobil Jeep!
    • Jeepmobil is being revamped - but there's Jeeps here!
Community Effort Photostory
« on: March 28, 2007, 16:38:39 »
This is not an original idea of mine -- I got this idea off of PB from a thread that had died there. Though it got off to a semi-good start, it was interupted with chit chat and off track posts which I think killed it.

However, IMO it is a great idea and I would liike to try it here. With all the great customisers and photographers here, I think we could make a good go of it.

Below is quoted from the original idea...

"Here are the rules:

-The headperson of the storie is a recent special (one we all have)
-Between your posts at least one other member has to post
-You have to post one picture and add a few storielines
-Your post must be a reaction on the previous post(s)
-There must arise a story 

Well the first one to replies to this tread determines the headperson, so hurry up!"

I would like to just update and make some minor changes to these rules before we either try this, or dump it.

1) The main Character must be a current Special - late 2006 to 07 issue so that anyone around the world can participate using a figure common to all.

2) Post only one (1) picture with at least 3 lines of story text at a time.

3) Between your posts, you must allow at least one other person to post.

4) Your post & photo must follow in keeping with the previous post/photo to maintain continuity of some sort. Afterall it is supposed to be a story  :P

5) Try to avoid specific themes that will choke or restrict story growth or others from participating who may not collect that theme.

I think that is all we really need to get started.

Perhaps as with the other attempt at this idea, the figure can have the ability of time travel or something that will justify multiple themes or elements of collections? Of course, any machine or item used for this should be something that is likely to be common to all collectors.

Any other ideas or suggestions before we get going or settle on a figure?

Offline Tiermann

• Playmo Master
  • Playmosaurus friendus
    • Animobil
Re: Community Effort Photostory
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2007, 18:22:11 »
It's an interesting concept, but a real trick to pull off.
It might help if we chose a general setting for it - city, country, forest/jungle or some such to start, so those of us with things stored can get out the right rough themes.

For the figure I think the 4655 Plumber or 4649 Dad with BBQ would be possibilities.

Offline Outback

• Playmo Fanatic
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2007, 18:31:30 »
Good points Tim. Maybe settling on a contemporary setting is the best thing to keep things flowing easily.

I agree with the Plumber or the Dad, I was actually thinking the same thing.

Perhaps just a story about the misadventures of So & So's Dad or the local Plumber guy.

Offline seawarrior

• Playmo Lover
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2007, 23:04:22 »
 I think the 4654 pirate would
be good because the new legs
made a lot of people buy it.  :hmm:
I have a small problem with city
life, I don't have any  :-[ It
is one of the only themes I have no
guys I have racers but that's it.

seawarrior
Friendship is like peeing on yourself, everyone can see it, but only you get the warm feeling it brings!

Offline Little Jo

• Tool Master
  • Playmo Master
    • Little Jo's PlaymoWorld
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2007, 05:37:17 »
I really like this idea :D Sounds of fun.

How do we cope with the "problem" that response to one "sequel" photo could be done twice by two (or more) other members? I mean: taking a photo or setting up a scenery take some time. So seeing a photo maybe two people decide at the same time to make the next photo. One will by theory finished before the other one and post it. Now probably the second persons photo didn't match to this latest photos sequel, because for sure it relates to the photo before. I think this issue might become less relevant later on, but I think at the beginning when enthusiasm and awareness of this thread is quite high, these "collisions" might become true.

Second: how do we cope with the situation that the story got stuck, due to missing good ideas, absense of volunteers to make a photo, or something else? Would it be an idea to define a period of time, after which a person could post a second photo in sequence just to bring up the thread again and continue the story a little bit? Maybe this would bring up the awareness again or moves the story a little bit so that maybe another person has again an idea how to continue ... just an idea.

We should also agree on not posting any other stuff into this photo story thread than the photos and corresponding texts itself so it can be read/followed easily. (Maybe a second discussion thread on this project would be useful, in the same way like for Celebration contributions -- a moderator should watch over this and intervene respectively just moving non-sequel contributions to the discussion thread.)

(BTW, I would vote for the BBQ special or the plumber  ;D ... maybe a female would also be nice, but in current special sets are only very theme specific ones -- mermaid or cleopatra -- or "unpractical" ones due to the large skirts, which are for sure very nice but prevent the figure to do any "gymnastic" actions  ;D)

Offline Outback

• Playmo Fanatic
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2007, 14:24:39 »
Yeah Jo, you bring up some good points also. Lets see...

I'm not sure how to alleviate the potential issue of a double response to the last photo. Unless we have a list of who is next to post but that will kind of take away the random-ness and spontaneity out of the project. I think this may just be a chance we have to take  ???

I think in a "stuck" situation we could allow one or two weeks to pass without a follow-up post before the last poster could post again to keep things on track.  :hmm:

Yes, we need to keep out non related chit chat from the thread to preserve the continuity. Definately! Reader self moderation would be my recommendation with help from the forums admin/mods if needed. We could also post a warning not to post comments in the thread and redirect them elsewhere as you suggest by using an active link.

Those are my thoughts, any others?

Offline Richard

• Retired Playmobil
  • Wargamer
  • Playmo Master
    • Garden Wargaming
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2007, 15:41:02 »

Those are my thoughts, any others?

Fun idea, Dunc ...

Perhaps we could have one of our members, who also happens to be a good graphic artist (IE: Jochen, Jimmy, etc.), create a common background that we could all print off and use with the "common" Klicky figure. This might help with the continuity ... ;)

All the best,
Richard

PS For what's it's worth, I only have the Romans and a few Pirates with me here in the Virgin Islands.

Offline Tiermann

• Playmo Master
  • Playmosaurus friendus
    • Animobil
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2007, 23:58:30 »
If we go with the two threads format it would be possible to post in the discussion thread if you have started work on the next photo. It would even be possible to work ahead by asking the person currently working on a photo what it will be like and then starting on the next.  It would also be a good idea to mention in that thread if you are adding any particular props. For instance if the figure were to pick up a saw in my photo I would mention it and the type in the thread so whoever does the next shot can have it there for the scene.

Offline Little Jo

• Tool Master
  • Playmo Master
    • Little Jo's PlaymoWorld
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2007, 04:54:36 »
If we go with the two threads format it would be possible to post in the discussion thread if you have started work on the next photo. It would even be possible to work ahead by asking the person currently working on a photo what it will be like and then starting on the next.  It would also be a good idea to mention in that thread if you are adding any particular props. For instance if the figure were to pick up a saw in my photo I would mention it and the type in the thread so whoever does the next shot can have it there for the scene.

Oh, this would be a good idea. Right straightforward  :)

I also like the idea of some common backdrops, like you suggested Richard (not doing it by my own ... hm, maybe I find some time over easter, but I think I'm not that good in such things). Maybe we can use some backdrops from AgeOwns.

Offline Outback

• Playmo Fanatic
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2007, 06:07:15 »
Also keep in mind that if photographing outside, backdrops won't be an issue. Natural surroundings are very forgiving and non specific to any theme.  ;)