Author Topic: 4611 Royal Guard special...old and new...  (Read 24163 times)

Offline Bill Blackhurst

• Playmo Master
Re: 4611 Royal Guard special...old and new...
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2010, 23:47:54 »
WOW :o! A fantastic soldier collection, Panos! You are quite a serious history source of information, well done :)9!
  Forget about all of the other stuff,....all we need is the reintroduction of the 3526 Fire Engine!

Online playmofire

• Klicky Firemeister
  • Playmo Guru
    • Copt Hewick Volunteer Fire Brigade - probably the world's smallest fire brigade!
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2010, 05:34:51 »
Look forward to seeing those guards in action soon, Panos.   :wave:
“Today well-lived makes every yesterday a day of happiness to remember and every tomorrow a vision of hope.”

Offline Wolf Knight

• Playmo Guru
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2010, 06:19:46 »

You really know the Caribbean, Panos! Yes, that's Cuba and Florida, the Caribbean islands and the coast of Venezuela. All upside down.

And, you are correct about the French naval uniforms being red. I have attached an image of the French naval uniforms during the time of the American War for Independence. However, the French naval uniforms may have looked quite different during the time of Nelson and the battle of Trafalgar.

Richard I remember a scene in ''Master and Commander, the far side of the world'' movie with Russel Crow.... He is the captain of a British ship during the Napoleonic Wars (1799-1815) and i do remember that he saw the captain of the French ship he was chasing and the french captain wore red....the american war of independence took place between 1775 and 1782....while nelson lived between 1758 and 1805... so i dont think uniforms changed significantly during this time period...and if you look at army uniforms in general at that period, blue and red colours seem to overlap....

Offline Wolf Knight

• Playmo Guru
« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2010, 06:22:53 »
WOW :o! A fantastic soldier collection, Panos! You are quite a serious history source of information, well done :)9!

Thank you Bill!! and i keep looking for more of these soldiers....Thessaloniki stores seem to have run out of... ;D ;D ;D mainly because of me, partly because someone else bought some, partly because the shops do not seem to keep large stock these days....
I did study history and social anthropology ;) but keep forgeting things....

Offline Wolf Knight

• Playmo Guru
« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2010, 06:23:17 »
Look forward to seeing those guards in action soon, Panos.   :wave:

I will try my best Richard!!!! :wave: :wave: :wave:

Offline Justindo

• Playmo Master
« Reply #15 on: May 08, 2010, 07:04:59 »
That's quite an army, Wolf Knight!  When I found four of these at a toy store a couple years ago I was ecstatic, but 52 is incredible!  Will the admiral's visit to the small island outpost be shown to us in a photo story in the future? ;)
:egypt: :roman: :viking: :knight: :arrr: :indian: :cowboy:

Offline Wolf Knight

• Playmo Guru
« Reply #16 on: May 08, 2010, 07:35:50 »
Will the admiral's visit to the small island outpost be shown to us in a photo story in the future? ;)

Of course it will Justindo!!! Of course it will.....

Offline Richard

• Retired Playmobil
  • Wargamer
  • Playmo Master
    • Garden Wargaming
« Reply #17 on: May 08, 2010, 13:40:01 »

Richard I remember a scene in ''Master and Commander, the far side of the world'' movie with Russel Crow.... He is the captain of a British ship during the Napoleonic Wars (1799-1815) and i do remember that he saw the captain of the French ship he was chasing and the french captain wore red....the american war of independence took place between 1775 and 1782....while nelson lived between 1758 and 1805... so i dont think uniforms changed significantly during this time period...and if you look at army uniforms in general at that period, blue and red colours seem to overlap....

Panos, as you may already know, naval (and army) uniforms were slow to change even after the orders went out for everyone to adopt the new uniforms. There were several reasons for this:
1. Mail was very slow in those days (especially if you were on the "far side of the world").
2. Getting the new uniforms made, shipped and delivered could take months (even years).
3. Reluctance on the part of officers and crew to replace good uniforms with something different.
4. And, I'm sure that there may have been some other reasons that I can't think of ...

The Playmobil blue "Royal Harbour Guard" were probably styled after the French of that period. The flag has a "fleur de lis" and the figure on the far right in set 7587 certainly looks like a French naval officer. And, let us not forget those French moustaches ...  :klickygrin:

see attachments

Offline playmo1989

• Playmo Master
« Reply #18 on: May 08, 2010, 15:52:28 »
good buy pano !!!!strange klicky to buy a lot of them ussaly i buy romans and knights on quantities!! looking forward to see them in action  :) .why you didn't buy them from playmobil as you were a strore they would come much cheaper i think !!!!!! can this happen??
The spirits rule !!!!

Offline playmo1989

• Playmo Master
« Reply #19 on: May 08, 2010, 15:56:38 »

Panos, as you may already know, naval (and army) uniforms were slow to change even after the orders went out for everyone to adopt the new uniforms. There were several reasons for this:
1. Mail was very slow in those days (especially if you were on the "far side of the world").
2. Getting the new uniforms made, shipped and delivered could take months (even years).
3. Reluctance on the part of officers and crew to replace good uniforms with something different.
4. And, I'm sure that there may have been some other reasons that I can't think of ...

The Playmobil blue "Royal Harbour Guard" were probably styled after the French of that period. The flag has a "fleur de lis" and the figure on the far right in set 7587 certainly looks like a French naval officer. And, let us not forget those French moustaches ...  :klickygrin:

see attachments

in which set was this flag available richard?? i know it is from 3112 prison but the one you show sepertly has different clips so it can be hang on a stick??
The spirits rule !!!!