Author Topic: EASY display hack for BTTF III train track wheel DeLorean... I got it to roll  (Read 2482 times)

Offline AgeOwns

• Playmo Fanatic
  • @MillionairePb
    • MillionairePlayboy.com
I am in love with the Back to the Future III advent calendar. It's lovely! Now I need to clear some more shelf space to fit all the fun backdrops.

Anyway, the train wheels snap on just fine, but they do not automatically fit on playmobil train tracks.
playmobttfiii_14 by Andy Jones, on Flickr

So I put two track pieces side by side and interlocked the ties, like a zipper, and the distance between the left rail lines up with the left rail on the other track, so much so that if you had a lot of parallel track lined up, it rolls smoothly!

tracks_01 by Andy Jones, on Flickr

Here's another angle
tracks_02 by Andy Jones, on Flickr

But for displaying on your shelf, just get two pieces of track next to each other, and it'll rest on it just great! You can't even tell in the top photo that there are two rails there. But it works!

Offline Rasputin

• The Mad Monk
  • Playmo Master
Nice hack , I was really hoping it would have fit with out cutting the car in half
If you hear the sound of the bell which will tell you that Grigori has been killed, if it was your relations who have wrought my death, then no one in the family will remain alive. They will be killed by the Russian people. :prays:

Offline tahra

• Playmo Guru
    • playkingdoms
Gnome: see, you can replace the regular wheels with train track fitting ones

Collector: but they don't fit the train tracks.

Gnome: ... there are train tracks?!

Seriously, how is this even POSSIBLE?!

Offline StJohn

• Playmo Master

I think you are being a little unfair on Geobra. Playmobil trains and cars do not match in scale: a car can hold two passengers next to each other, and so does a train, even though in reality the latter accommodates four. Trains are simply too small, so it shouldn't surprise that train tracks are too narrow for a DeLorean.

Offline Rasputin

• The Mad Monk
  • Playmo Master
Gnome: see, you can replace the regular wheels with train track fitting ones

Collector: but they don't fit the train tracks.

Gnome: ... there are train tracks?!

:lol:
If you hear the sound of the bell which will tell you that Grigori has been killed, if it was your relations who have wrought my death, then no one in the family will remain alive. They will be killed by the Russian people. :prays:

Offline tahra

• Playmo Guru
    • playkingdoms
I think you are being a little unfair on Geobra. Playmobil trains and cars do not match in scale: a car can hold two passengers next to each other, and so does a train, even though in reality the latter accommodates four. Trains are simply too small, so it shouldn't surprise that train tracks are too narrow for a DeLorean.

Well... fix it. Make the train wheels wider on the inside (leave space for it on the original - wait, that'd imply they knew there were train wheels to fit..)

I bet the talented people at the kw 3d section could sort that.... so, why can't they?

We are talking of a company that makes something not work with what was there before because.... because.

Offline GrahamB

• Playmo Master
    • Playmofanatic
Nice hack , I was really hoping it would have fit with out cutting the car in half

You could cut the tracks in half though!

I don't remember much about the BTTF films, but was it not a lucky coincidence that the car fit on the train tracks anyway? Or was there some engineering needed?
At that moment the ship suddenly stopped rocking and swaying, the engine pitch settled down to a gentle hum. 'Hey Ford.' said Zaphod, 'that sounds good. Have you worked out the controls on this boat?' 'No,' said Ford, 'I just stopped fiddling with them.' (With thanks to Douglas Adams)

Offline AgeOwns

• Playmo Fanatic
  • @MillionairePb
    • MillionairePlayboy.com
Yes, it was a lucky coincidence that the DeLorean fit. They were ready to either show Doc engineering wider axels or just not show that it didn't fit and leave it to the magic of hollywood. But it legit fit on the tracks!

Offline Rasputin

• The Mad Monk
  • Playmo Master
You could cut the tracks in half though!

But then the train wouldn’t fit. I’d like the Delorian to actually be able to go round and round on a diorama

Offline Oliver

• Playmo Addict
Well... fix it. Make the train wheels wider on the inside (leave space for it on the original - wait, that'd imply they knew there were train wheels to fit..)

I bet the talented people at the kw 3d section could sort that.... so, why can't they?

We are talking of a company that makes something not work with what was there before because.... because.

I presume this is a standard mould they have for the DeLorean - so it would require re-designing the mould, for a handful of people who would want to do this trick.