Author Topic: 6490 - Three Roman Soldiers  (Read 2492 times)

Offline Macruran

• desperate but not serious
  • Playmo Master
  • Hiya!
    • my incomplete collection spreadsheet
Re: 6490 - Three Roman Soldiers
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2021, 00:45:25 »
Which two DS do you mean? 7878 and 7880?

I agree that historical accuracy is not one of the Gnomes' chief concerns, but I like to think about it as a sort of fun sideline.
"We like things in little." - G. Stein  
 :roman:

Offline StJohn

• Playmo Master
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2021, 07:16:42 »
For me there are just two classic legionaries: the plated one in 7878, etc. = 30 00 2682 - Legionary, and his chainmail/neckpiece colleague from 4275, etc. = 30 00 2752 - Roman soldier, red and brown armour (the latter used to be hard to find before the Roman theme was reissued). Great looking guys, all parts working really well together. First-rate design.

More modern issues, including 6490, seem mix-and-match to me, just like Bollingbroke so poignantly expressed ...
« Last Edit: July 29, 2021, 08:48:10 by StJohn »

Offline Bolingbroke

• Playmo Master
« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2021, 13:25:55 »
Let’s also not forget the blue ‘praetorian’ special that was released around the same time, and which came with another one of those oval shields. I have a bunch of those somewhere.

I’m very very eager to see what the future holds for romans by way of asterix! We know the soldiers will be green for sure, and that’s good - another Roman faction!
"Company, villanous company, hath been the spoil of me."

Offline Bolingbroke

• Playmo Master
« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2021, 13:41:56 »
Which two DS do you mean? 7878 and 7880?

I agree that historical accuracy is not one of the Gnomes' chief concerns, but I like to think about it as a sort of fun sideline.

Wasn’t there also a third DS pack some years later with an assortment of Roman soldiers? (I think one of the soldiers had some missing accessories, a collar maybe? Cost-cutting no doubt.)

Offline Macruran

• desperate but not serious
  • Playmo Master
  • Hiya!
    • my incomplete collection spreadsheet
« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2021, 14:06:32 »
Let’s also not forget the blue ‘praetorian’ special that was released around the same time, and which came with another one of those oval shields. I have a bunch of those somewhere.

That one was my first Roman, my third PM purchase as an adult, and one of the best looking klickies ever made! I too have a unit of them.

I’m very very eager to see what the future holds for romans by way of asterix! We know the soldiers will be green for sure, and that’s good - another Roman faction!

There's a chance they won't do any Romans at all, if the theme doesn't go well. My fingers are crossed!

Wasn’t there also a third DS pack some years later with an assortment of Roman soldiers? (I think one of the soldiers had some missing accessories, a collar maybe? Cost-cutting no doubt.)

Not 6490?
"We like things in little." - G. Stein  
 :roman:

Offline StJohn

• Playmo Master
« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2021, 14:19:11 »

Do you mean 5393 Legionaries in turtle position? No DS, as they came in a box, but 2 of the 6 soldiers were looking quite poorly without a collar.

Offline Bolingbroke

• Playmo Master
« Reply #16 on: July 29, 2021, 15:52:01 »
Possibly 6490, as Macruran said. Never got that because by then I had probably amassed more than a hundred romans.

Offline StJohn

• Playmo Master
« Reply #17 on: July 29, 2021, 16:53:24 »
But in 6490 all 3 figures have a collar 8}

One hundred Romans is a start. Grow from there.

Offline Bolingbroke

• Playmo Master
« Reply #18 on: July 29, 2021, 20:02:23 »
But in 6490 all 3 figures have a collar 8}

One hundred Romans is a start. Grow from there.

True. Maybe I imagined it?

Grow? Hah. I collect too many things. I have a pretty good PM collection (most of it from the ‘golden age’), a similarly sized Lego collection, and way too many action figures - if anything, I aim to prune the PM collection this year now that I’ve discovered Vinted. I always thought I’d eventually have a bigger house, but now I’m middleaged and I’ll never afford a big house, unless I go live somewhere where the average salary is 400 euro a month  ;D

Edit: Actually, it WAS the klickies from the testudo set. Two of them (of the kind normally wearing capes) came with nothing around their necks. What was that about?
« Last Edit: July 29, 2021, 20:08:09 by Bolingbroke »

Offline StJohn

• Playmo Master
« Reply #19 on: July 29, 2021, 23:26:12 »
I aim to prune the PM collection this year now that I’ve discovered Vinted.

Vinted seems destined for trading second-hand clothes, right? So you sell your excess PM there?

Edit: Actually, it WAS the klickies from the testudo set. Two of them (of the kind normally wearing capes) came with nothing around their necks. What was that about?

Told you so. 5393 is a ragbag unit. The two with officer bodies but no neckpieces are pretty useless, as you say. The set was a good source, though, for getting more 30 00 2752 legionaries. They used to be rare until that set hit the shops.