General > Brainstorming For Playmobil

What could they do with the next batch of pirates?

<< < (2/6) > >>

hauden_lukas:

--- Quote from: Hadoque on April 10, 2018, 12:07:56 ---Keeping in mind what the present pirates´ major ship 6678 looks like - a 2-master without a cabin, windows replaced by stickers, stick-on fake cannon-mouths and fake gunports, a resized cargohold now just big enough to put 1 trunk and a rat, and not to forget the overall layout of the ship which is a moronic combination of a 16th-century galleon´s bow with the stern of a late 18th-century frigate and the backwards-tilted masts of a 19th-century schooner, my hopes are not great for the next ship. ::)

So here my (very) pessimistic prediction;

The next "big" pirates´ ship will be further downsized and have just 1 big mast with a square sail and a little auxiliary mast near the stern with a latin sail. The ship will also be shorter then the two-masters there have been sofar, so alltogether a lot less plastic but at a sales-price 10 to 15 % more expensive.
And it will come with 2 dwarf-pirates and a monkey as crew.
Total accessories included will be 1 hat, 1 sword, 1 pistol and 1 mini-treasure-case.
As cannons, just 2 of the latest small swivel-cannons mounted on the deck´s railing, to save use of gun-carriages. Any (fake) cannons or gunports in/on the hull will now also be represented by printed stickers.  :no:

In the utopic case Geobra´s entire sales & development departments would get fired and replaced by people with functioning braincells, we might get the trimaster frigate (f.e. a prolonged 3940 or 5135 with a 3rd mast) for our naval forces we´ve always dreamed off.  :loco:

--- End quote ---

Hadoque = genius

Janilew:
I know this is old, but I've considered designing a ship with the things you all have mentioned. But how would this come to play in reality? Would the sleeping quarters be a top view, or side? If the latter, I imagine the ship would have to open up then, robbing it of it's ability to float. I personally wouldn't care as I love the extra rooms on the ships, but if we're speaking with actual designs in mind, then we must be mindful of these things.

hauden_lukas:

--- Quote from: Janilew on November 21, 2019, 08:42:56 ---I know this is old, but I've considered designing a ship with the things you all have mentioned. But how would this come to play in reality? Would the sleeping quarters be a top view, or side? If the latter, I imagine the ship would have to open up then, robbing it of it's ability to float. I personally wouldn't care as I love the extra rooms on the ships, but if we're speaking with actual designs in mind, then we must be mindful of these things.

--- End quote ---

I don't get it why many people really want to put the ships in real water. If you design a ship like that just "pretend" it is in water (like in dioramas where ships are placed on tables with blue table cloth or more sophisticated versions thereof).
Personally, I am more interested in a ship that looks realistic from the outside. Unless you have a good solution to remove one side of the ship to see the inside... (might be cool for taking pictures inside to tell a story. In this case, the entire inside should be visible - ideally by just removing the outer shell/planks on one side).

Will you show your ship here?

Thanks!

Cheers,
HDL

Janilew:

--- Quote from: hauden_lukas on November 24, 2019, 07:02:40 ---I don't get it why many people really want to put the ships in real water. If you design a ship like that just "pretend" it is in water (like in dioramas where ships are placed on tables with blue table cloth or more sophisticated versions thereof).
Personally, I am more interested in a ship that looks realistic from the outside. Unless you have a good solution to remove one side of the ship to see the inside... (might be cool for taking pictures inside to tell a story. In this case, the entire inside should be visible - ideally by just removing the outer shell/planks on one side).

Will you show your ship here?

Thanks!

Cheers,
HDL

--- End quote ---

First of all I agree with pretending that it's in water. I don't care all that much for it myself. I was just thinking in terms of toy design, but I'd gladly sacrifice it myself.

Second, alas I'm no crafter...yet. I chiefly deal in 2D design. I'm working on a solution to incorporate the ideas many had on here (myself included) on what we want in a ship. I've always wanted, even as a child to have a proper captain's cabin on a ship, so I did that. I also wanted lower decks, sleeping quarters, and a galley. Storage and treasury too.

At the moment I have a VERY rough design of what we/I want, and the possibility of it to keep its ability to float.

In my design I mimicked a basic Spanish galleon (a personal favorite of mine) and good ol' 5135 (which I actually own). Here are my notes:
1: I rose the forecastle to make room for the galley with short stairs leading down to it. The oven itself is molded in place and allows for the styrofoam to enter it for maximum floatation.

2: I merged the sleeping quarters for the crew with the lower gun deck for the sake of saving storage. Hammocks can be hung from the ceiling. I'm not sure if they should be fabric or plastic. In my notes I made the walls dividing them, the storage, and the treasury not to touch the ends. That way there's space for the crew to "walk" between areas.

3. The treasury and the storage are both in the back almost below the captain's cabin. (Treasury isn't shown in these pics. They can hold barrels, crates, etc. I've even contemplated a design of a larger barrel where stow-a-ways can hide. ;)

4. I was torn on how to access the lower deck. I incorporated grates in the top deck so I wouldn't have to use stairs. Maybe a ladder can be utilized. I also considered to have a piece come out the side entirely, but I settled for a hinged "door".

5. I noticed, unfortunately, that the mainmast's rigging will interfere with a klicky's sight at the cannon!  :wall: Now, an earlier design had a longer ship without this problem, but it had MASSIVE masts and sails as opposed to my current, more realistic and compact one, which is why I scrapped it. So I guess either I: make the ship longer, or delete the second cannon to make some more room. siiiiiiiigh. Well since this is wish-fulfillment fantasy anyway, might as well elongate it.

6. My favorite part, the captain's cabin! I imagined a formal meeting taking place there so it had to be fancy! I took a page from 5135 and had the bed molded to the foundation with the canopy separate. The table's much the same with the top being detachable. Now the shelves, I thought could be molded with slots to keep items in place (like with the units in 9487); but upon further thought, it might be best to make them detachable too. Just in case they're in the way. It also might be less of a hassle to mold. Possibly a short chandelier can be hung inside too by a hook! ^v^

I swear I can draw much better than this, I was just working out the kinks.

(I learned the hard way that it's best to host from a site, rather than directly upload pics. |:( )

Here are the links:
https://hlootooart.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/11/IMG_8513.jpg
https://hlootooart.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/11/IMG_8511.jpg
https://hlootooart.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/11/IMG_8514.jpg
https://hlootooart.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/11/IMG_8515.jpg
https://hlootooart.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/11/IMG_8498-scaled.jpg

PMatt:
I've got to say, your sketches sell the idea really well. Now, where do we sign up for this to be produced?  ;)

I think it is particularly commendable you didn't go overboard with the dimensions. Though larger than any ship Playmobil ever produced, it is still a rather compact design and I could see it hitting the shelves, should the toys market take a different direction in the upcoming years. I for one would love building up a crew for such a ship!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version