Author Topic: 5546 - Summer Fun Clown with Balloons  (Read 1704 times)

Offline Raven

• Playmo Addict
5546 - Summer Fun Clown with Balloons
« on: June 25, 2014, 09:01:43 »

I bought this because I wanted the balloons.  I didn't want the clown, nor the two little blue birds (not pictured above because they had already gone into the Million Little Blue Birds Container), so €8 seemed quite expensive just for balloons - but if that's the price, then that was what I had to pay.  However, once I brought my purchase home, I realised that actually it was 100% worth the money.  More about that in a moment!

All the balloons were in two halves, with the balloon strings separate.  I opened the box when there was already food and drink on the table.  'I'll just put these balloons together first,' I said.

'I'll just...'?  The strings didn't really want to stay where I put them, and in order to snap the two half-balloons together, I had to stand up and lean my weight upon them.  It took me quite some time.  I think that if you buy this for a child, you will need to help them make the balloons!

If I had been sensible, I would have laid out all the balloons and strings before I started putting them together, and decided which coloured strings would go with which balloon.  I wasn't sensible.  I just grabbed the nearest balloon and string, and then the next; then thought it would be cool if the football balloon had a pink string - and then I looked at what strings I'd got left, and wished I'd done it differently.  I tried to take the first two apart again, but (not surprisingly, after the force used to put them together) I couldn't do it.

The balloon stand has seven holes, but there are only six balloons - I guess one has already been sold.  I did already have one balloon, though, so I added that to the set.

Actually, I want children to hold the balloons, so the number of holes in the stand doesn't really matter.  I didn't want the stand, I didn't want the birds, I didn't want the clown ....it was this point that I thought, '€8 for 6 balloons....'

And then it struck me what lovely hair that clown has.  And I knew just who would like to dye his hair that colour:

And, really, ALL the parts of the clown are useful.

Left to right:

- Clown's face (she's going to offer face painting to children)
- Clown's jersey
- Clown's oversized coat
- Clown's stripey trousers

And finally, that balloon stand is a wonderful Flower Stand.

So now I'm thinking that this is a great value for money set.  I'm really pleased with all that I've got from it.
Have a good time, make life cheerful and bright, dance if you want to, sing if you can, play as long as you live and leave the world with a smile - Lemuel K. Washburn

Offline playmovictorian

• Playmo Master
  • Happy Little Victorians
    • Playmovictorian
Re: 5546 - Summer Fun Clown with Balloons
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2014, 09:12:13 »
What an excellent and highly detailed introduction to this set I was not familiar with dear Raven  :wave:

Clowns are very versatile and could suit a victorian diorama quite well  :)

Thank you so much !

Karim
La, tout n'est qu'ordre et beaute, luxe, calme et volupte. L'Invitation au Voyage. Charles Baudelaire.1857.

Offline conniefrere

• Playmo Master
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2014, 09:32:58 »
Great review! I especially like the customised klicky second left. Some cool 70-ties dude amd besides him on the right a 60-ties hippie kinda klicky if you ask me.

8-)
:playmo: :egypt: :roman: :builder: :playmo:

Offline sunflower

• Playmo Addict
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2014, 14:59:20 »
Thanks for the very funny review. Love the flower stand.
life in plastic it's fantastic

Offline Rasputin

• The Mad Monk
  • Playmo Master
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2014, 15:27:47 »
Great review. Those balloons were always tight to assemble for us. I always figured it was to keep the two halves very tight on the string so you could adjust the angle of the balloon. I really want this set many times but now looking more closely at the clown I am not sure. This now looks like a less interesting clown. The pants look good but his overall look to me is more hippy than festive clown. The balloons are great and your idea for the flower stand is great so we may get more than a few anyways.

Thanks for the detailed pictures.
If you hear the sound of the bell which will tell you that Grigori has been killed, if it was your relations who have wrought my death, then no one in the family will remain alive. They will be killed by the Russian people. :prays:

Offline Salamander

• Playmo Addict
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2014, 15:49:49 »
It's funny how a nice, detailed review can make something go from no, don't really need that to yes, I must have this!!

Great set, love what you did with the flowers!

Offline Birdie

• Playmo Master
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2014, 15:58:34 »
It's funny how a nice, detailed review can make something go from no, don't really need that to yes, I must have this!!

Haha, yes, you're exactly right  :lol:

I like the stand for the balloons, I hadn't really noticed it before. What I also like is the green oversized coat on your custom clicky.
And the balloons themselves are very nice too.

Does the clown come apart like regular F?gures? Or did you use a 'decapitate' method?
« Last Edit: June 26, 2014, 22:41:31 by Birdie »

Offline Raven

• Playmo Addict
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2014, 07:28:36 »
The clown came apart very easily by pressure - figure in sitting position, arms forward, then putting it on its heels at a 45 degree angle and pressing my hand downwards on the back of its head.  I feared that the clown's coat might somehow get in the way - but it didn't.

(The most difficult thing was putting his hair on another figure - it's a tight fit, and it took me about ten minutes, admittedly with rest periods while I inspected all the indentations on my fingers from that bumpy hair!)
Have a good time, make life cheerful and bright, dance if you want to, sing if you can, play as long as you live and leave the world with a smile - Lemuel K. Washburn

Offline tahra

• Playmo Guru
    • playkingdoms
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2014, 09:30:41 »
Thanks for the review!

I think hairs are harder to put on these days then they used to be.. WAY harder.

I really like the clown's hair (really don't need more clowns!) - but why can't we have a.. balloon shaped balloon?

Offline DrDalek6

• Playmo Master
    • BTCV Mini Carbon Army
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2014, 21:20:06 »
Nice review a nice sleection of balloons, good to see you managed to reuse the parts into something which suited your needs they do look much better on those figures than on the clown particularly the guy with the long brown hair he does indeed havea sort of funky hippyish feel  :)