General > Brainstorming For Playmobil

Take Along- ¿Way Of The Future?

(1/3) > >>

Andy R:
With the rise of Take Alongs of every sort, ¿is this becoming the way of the future for Playmobil buildings? Steck is dead (I didn’t say I like it, I said it was true), System X isn’t moving forward by much, but the Take Alongs give you a self-contained unit that you could add onto, although limitedly in same cases. They also cost a lot less.
So, ¿is Take Along the way of the future? ¿Or am I just panicking?

socrates:
I think, Take-Along is a way for Playmobil to enter the US-market.
They designed the first Take-Alongs for Target and later put them into the regular catalogues...

There is the problem that most US customers are not willing to pay hundreds of dollars for toys.
They want to have something playable in the range of ~25 US$. This is far below the price range of the core playmobil products like pirate ships, school buildings, 1900 dollhouse etc...

Maybe it's a way to enter the market and to get a good reputation and then the sets will become larger as well. :)

Btw. I would love to see Take-Alongs that are extendable and/or to be integrated into the big buildings...  :D

best,
socrates

playmofire:
Socrates is spot on in his analysis, the "take away" approach is a US directed concept.  I like the idea in some ways, but haven't bought any because they are too restricting.  However, if they were more flexible with the ability to merge them with each other or the other PLaymobil buildings, then I would be more interested in buying.  Just by having the exteriors blank with stick on detail would be attractive, and proper window openings.

Wolf Knight:
Socrates is right! Its cheaper for people to get a toy for their kids, and it can easily be carried around, in visits to grandparents, the countryside etc... So why not go for the cheap solution?

I have bought three take alongs. The skull pirate island, the 5803 castle and the new police station. Although small and restrictive, they allow a child to have their favourite toy with them all the time... the latest police station offers so many possibilities, i think its the best designed take-along set playmobil has produced!!! And its cheaper than the big police HQ!

So, no I don't think playmobil is replacing original sets with take alongs, its just a good marketing strategy to expand, and make the toy, more approachable by everyone!

Playmoholics:

--- Quote from: socrates on December 20, 2010, 09:35:18 ---I think, Take-Along is a way for Playmobil to enter the US-market.
There is the problem that most US customers are not willing to pay hundreds of dollars for toys.

Btw. I would love to see Take-Alongs that are extendable and/or to be integrated into the big buildings...  :D

--- End quote ---

Well I certainly don't fit into the category of people in the U.S. who aren't willing to pay that much on toys! I shudder to think about how money money we've spent on Playmobil  :o Not that it isn't worth every penny  ;)

I think your suggestion of having the Take-Alongs able to merge with the larger sets is a brilliant idea! The selection of Playmobil is a joke here. Last year there wasn't a store within 100 miles that even sold it  ???. But, as most of our Playmobil is steck, we generally get the majority of our collection on ebay anyway.

Do most of you get yours new or used?

Cheers,
Jenna

P.S. I've never used quotes from another post before, so forgive me if I didn't do it correctly. :wave:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version