Author Topic: 70921 Mini Cooper  (Read 1742 times)

Offline GrahamB

• Playmo Master
    • Playmofanatic
Re: 70921 Mini Cooper
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2021, 09:40:18 »
I think the klickies are supposed to be in 1960s garb. The street scene through the front window is much more recent, judging by the taxis, bus and pedestrian crossing.
At that moment the ship suddenly stopped rocking and swaying, the engine pitch settled down to a gentle hum. 'Hey Ford.' said Zaphod, 'that sounds good. Have you worked out the controls on this boat?' 'No,' said Ford, 'I just stopped fiddling with them.' (With thanks to Douglas Adams)

Offline playmofire

• Klicky Firemeister
  • Playmo Guru
    • Copt Hewick Volunteer Fire Brigade - probably the world's smallest fire brigade!
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2021, 21:50:16 »
No, It doesn't. I'm guessing this car is based on one of the later versions produced in the 90s. The classic mini dash was near non-existent. My first car was a mini clubman, maybe 1980.

Yes, the first Mini dash was, I think, just an oval in the middle of the car with a big speedometer flanked by a small dial either side.  A girlfriend of the time had a red Mini but my memories of the interior are vague as for most of the time I had my eyes tightly shut!  I seem to remember that the Cooper version had a large rev counter mounted on the steering wheel housing, but I may be thinking of another car.
“Today well-lived makes every yesterday a day of happiness to remember and every tomorrow a vision of hope.”

Offline Pynedor

• Playmo Master
« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2021, 22:25:16 »
The dashboard doesn't look right to me.

No, It doesn't. I'm guessing this car is based on one of the later versions produced in the 90s. The classic mini dash was near non-existent. My first car was a mini clubman, maybe 1980.

Yes, the first Mini dash was, I think, just an oval in the middle of the car with a big speedometer flanked by a small dial either side.  A girlfriend of the time had a red Mini but my memories of the interior are vague as for most of the time I had my eyes tightly shut!  I seem to remember that the Cooper version had a large rev counter mounted on the steering wheel housing, but I may be thinking of another car.

Yes, this is definitely based on the later models. The placement of the dashboard features are actually quite spot on for the later ones. The earlier models have essentially just a centre instrument "binnacle" as you note. Also, the tail lights, side windows, grille, and the lack of external door hinges show this to be a later model. I like the subtle styling differences of the earlier ones a bit more, but the later ones are cool too!

I think the klickies are supposed to be in 1960s garb.

It certainly does look like that, but I doubt many will notice the period differences between the figures and the car! ;)
~Pynedor~

Offline Klickteryx

• Playmo Master
« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2021, 02:14:40 »

I doubt many will notice the period differences between the figures and the car! ;)

Fortunately that doesn't matter, but it did throw me off trying to work out what model it was supposed to be. <*)