Author Topic: The revival of the Victorian theme (2022)!  (Read 27781 times)

Offline bml87

• Mayor of Deadwood
  • Playmo Addict
  • Collecting Western and animal themes.
Re: The revival of the Victorian theme (2022)!
« Reply #230 on: May 10, 2022, 16:27:53 »
New images!

70937 Victorian truck
https://imgur.com/a/1UW6ecL

70938 Victorian car
https://imgur.com/a/PxBwOzU

Also, the garden set sent live on the US site a few days ago, but it hasn't come in stock yet.

Thanks a lot!!! Oh my! It's the original colour, personally I'm very happy, because I broke that one as a kid :-[

Lovely klickies as well!
Boris from Belgium - My collection - My dioramas:  Western Town II & North American forest

Offline Oliver

• Playmo Addict
« Reply #231 on: May 10, 2022, 18:27:32 »
Thanks for the pics!

The new figures are nice. I'm curious about the thinking that led to some sets being re-released unaltered and some being changed up, but I'm not complaining! Well, except about spending money and not having any space  :lol: :lol:

Offline Ismene

• Playmo Master
« Reply #232 on: May 11, 2022, 04:24:30 »
The truck is a bit different than the old green one: https://playmodb.org/setpics/5/5640.jpg I would have liked the hat from the original driver.
It might just be the photo, but the seats of the old car were redder.

The new figures are nice. I'm curious about the thinking that led to some sets being re-released unaltered and some being changed up, but I'm not complaining! Well, except about spending money and not having any space  :lol: :lol:

I'm curious too. I totally understand recoloring the bedroom, but the vehicles have more nuanced changes - notably new klickies. I would have liked a non-pink bathroom - mainly because I have one bathroom for two houses, but I don't particularly want a duplicate.

Offline tahra

• Playmo Guru
    • playkingdoms
« Reply #233 on: May 11, 2022, 08:02:38 »
I'm curious about the thinking that led to some sets being re-released unaltered and some being changed up, but I'm not complaining!

Yes, odd.. The wheel.. things in the truck are also different - one has to wonder..

It might just be the photo, but the seats of the old car were redder.

I think so too... I expect some slight variations...

Offline Oliver

• Playmo Addict
« Reply #234 on: May 11, 2022, 19:12:21 »
Yes, odd.. The wheel.. things in the truck are also different - one has to wonder..

Actually looking at it. there's quite a few minor differences between the trucks (which is annoying because I have a very broken one somewhere which now probably can't be fixed using spare parts!)

Offline Macruran

• desperate but not serious
  • Playmo Master
  • Hiya!
    • my incomplete collection spreadsheet
« Reply #235 on: May 12, 2022, 04:24:06 »
Is it historical/accurate to have different colors of plaster between the timbers? There are red and green PM ones but I can't recall any real life examples of that - but also I haven't seen a lot of pictures of that type of building so I don't know.

Also why does the bakery have stone on one end and the timber/plaster on the other? Is that a normal style?
"We like things in little." - G. Stein  
 :roman:

Offline GrahamB

• Playmo Master
    • Playmofanatic
« Reply #236 on: May 12, 2022, 08:22:03 »
Also why does the bakery have stone on one end and the timber/plaster on the other? Is that a normal style?

I've always assumed the stone wall was there because it would be fireproof, useful in a bakery. The smithies (3442 and 6329) also have this arrangement.

At that moment the ship suddenly stopped rocking and swaying, the engine pitch settled down to a gentle hum. 'Hey Ford.' said Zaphod, 'that sounds good. Have you worked out the controls on this boat?' 'No,' said Ford, 'I just stopped fiddling with them.' (With thanks to Douglas Adams)

Offline playmofire

• Klicky Firemeister
  • Playmo Guru
    • Copt Hewick Volunteer Fire Brigade - probably the world's smallest fire brigade!
« Reply #237 on: May 12, 2022, 14:30:58 »
Is it historical/accurate to have different colors of plaster between the timbers? There are red and green PM ones but I can't recall any real life examples of that - but also I haven't seen a lot of pictures of that type of building so I don't know.

I understand it was, sometimes solid colour and sometimes coloured low relief plaster carvings.

Belief it or not, but the pristine white marble statues from Greek and Roman times were themselves really brightly painted.
“Today well-lived makes every yesterday a day of happiness to remember and every tomorrow a vision of hope.”

Offline tahra

• Playmo Guru
    • playkingdoms
« Reply #238 on: May 12, 2022, 14:44:51 »
Belief it or not, but the pristine white marble statues from Greek and Roman times were themselves really brightly painted.

Yes, apparently so it is... though they look odd to me all colorful   :-[

Offline Oliver

• Playmo Addict
« Reply #239 on: May 12, 2022, 18:25:34 »

I believe that historically Germany (and Europe in general) used coloured paints for the plaster panels. It's certainly reasonably common in modern Germany (and you even see painted timber on some houses) - I think I read somewhere that the 'black-and-white' house is actually a 19th century invention, but that might be the black of the wood rather than the white-washed panals.