Author Topic: What could they do with the next batch of pirates?  (Read 6159 times)

Offline Janilew

• Playmo Lover
Re: What could they do with the next batch of pirates?
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2019, 21:58:43 »
I've got to say, your sketches sell the idea really well. Now, where do we sign up for this to be produced?  ;)

I think it is particularly commendable you didn't go overboard with the dimensions. Though larger than any ship Playmobil ever produced, it is still a rather compact design and I could see it hitting the shelves, should the toys market take a different direction in the upcoming years. I for one would love building up a crew for such a ship!

Thank you for your compliments, they truly uplift me!  :-[ When I design things like this, I try to keep feasibility and play-value in mind. It would be nice if these were to see the light of day on shelves. I'm half tempted to start a survey to see just how well it'd be received.  ;)

Offline hauden_lukas

• Playmo Addict
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2019, 05:57:20 »
I like your designs. However, the ship could be a bit longer for my taste.  ;D

Offline Janilew

• Playmo Lover
« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2019, 06:01:14 »
I like your designs. However, the ship could be a bit longer for my taste.  ;D

Eh, true. I kind of need to do it anyway if I want to keep three masts (which I do).

Offline Janilew

• Playmo Lover
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2020, 03:54:44 »
So I have another idea. I know that ghost pirates are a controversial sort of topic here, but hear me out. I agree that they seem out of place at first because it's fantasy but i still like them though, but I would argue that it was their execution that was rather...bland. Don't get me wrong, I absolutely love the giant creatures they come with, especially that whale skeleton. It's just that I think it would've been better if they paired them up with other individual pirate sets rather than release them as their own line. Then round up the ghosts into their own set.

So...what if there was a shipwreck. A REAL shipwreck. I'm taking inspiration from 6481 and the ruin from 3951 and making them BIGGER. It could look like a ship that was broken in half upon the rocks. The masts are broken and what's left of the sails is in tatters; the ratlines hanging uselessly. The deck is pierced with holes and chunks missing from the hull, the figurehead a sorry sight. Below could resemble a normal ship with more wear. I'm digging the idea of a brig with bars made with bone. The captain's cabin in disarray, maybe a long-lost captain's log of the crew's fate. Crabs crawling around, picking at the bones that litter its final resting place. And of course your ghastly crew with rags colored other than GREEN.

I'm sure there's more I could add. But bottom line, I think this could work under pirates. After all, tall tales and ghost stories were a part of the lives of superstitious sailors. The Flying Dutchman anyone?

Just needs some polish and rethinking is all.

Offline klickyklack

• Playmo Lover
    • klickyklack (IG)
« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2020, 05:13:03 »
Love the idea of a ghostly shipwreck! (I know nothing of the controversy being relatively new here).  I don't have the 4801 > 4806 sets, I really like the idea of them, but the execution was definitely lacking.  The whole theme has a lot of potential though.

Offline Janilew

• Playmo Lover
« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2020, 13:07:47 »
Love the idea of a ghostly shipwreck! (I know nothing of the controversy being relatively new here).  I don't have the 4801 > 4806 sets, I really like the idea of them, but the execution was definitely lacking.  The whole theme has a lot of potential though.

Absolutely! I'm a sucker for ghosts and there's plenty of ghost stories involving pirates. And the "controversy" is more like some people liking them and thinking they're cool, and the others saying they don't belong and was a waste. I personally think it's just odd to have them with sea monsters and I think that's why they failed, or at least weren't popular. I wonder if I can squeeze an organ in there somewhere? I've always wanted an actual organ from Playmobil, complete with sound.

Offline klickyklack

• Playmo Lover
    • klickyklack (IG)
« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2020, 14:40:25 »
Absolutely! I'm a sucker for ghosts and there's plenty of ghost stories involving pirates. And the "controversy" is more like some people liking them and thinking they're cool, and the others saying they don't belong and was a waste. I personally think it's just odd to have them with sea monsters and I think that's why they failed, or at least weren't popular. I wonder if I can squeeze an organ in there somewhere? I've always wanted an actual organ from Playmobil, complete with sound.

I bet there are loads of cool maritime myths & stories they could draw on. 

I'm not so keen on the glow in the dark element on the ones they did before, but the clear light on one looks (at least from photos) really neat (& I already wanted him, so this post is not helping my klicky lust at all :lol: ). 

If they did spooky ghostly see through light up pirates I would probably be inclined to add another sub-collection.  Some of the first sets I ever bought in the late 90's/early 00's were 4572 & 4603 & they're pretty much all I have pirate wise, so I'm sure they would love some spooky companions.

Offline Janilew

• Playmo Lover
« Reply #17 on: March 06, 2020, 16:56:31 »
I bet there are loads of cool maritime myths & stories they could draw on. 

I'm not so keen on the glow in the dark element on the ones they did before, but the clear light on one looks (at least from photos) really neat (& I already wanted him, so this post is not helping my klicky lust at all :lol: ). 

If they did spooky ghostly see through light up pirates I would probably be inclined to add another sub-collection.  Some of the first sets I ever bought in the late 90's/early 00's were 4572 & 4603 & they're pretty much all I have pirate wise, so I'm sure they would love some spooky companions.

I lucked a got 4572 with the ghost dinghy on ebay. Had no idea how rare he was until I looked it up!  :o

Offline klickyklack

• Playmo Lover
    • klickyklack (IG)
« Reply #18 on: March 06, 2020, 20:40:22 »
I lucked a got 4572 with the ghost dinghy on ebay. Had no idea how rare he was until I looked it up!  :o

Is he? Which one is the ghost dinghy?

Offline Janilew

• Playmo Lover
« Reply #19 on: March 06, 2020, 21:20:26 »
Is he? Which one is the ghost dinghy?

It was a separate item altogether (5901).
https://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4141/4927671245_43b7b44056_z.jpg

While I'm here, this is an idea I've had for a while and may or may not be Moby Dick. I feel ties into what I've been talking about.
https://hlootooart.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/03/IMG_9227.jpg

Surprised it was never made before. Everybody knows tales about that one killer whale. This one's based off their sperm whale like the one from 4489 https://www.klickypedia.com/wp-content/uploads/setsimages/4489-back.jpg and it  has notches to place weapons in order to appear wounded. The tongue has little bumps to seat two klickies, and, best of all, it can spout water! I also decided to extend the rowboat for four oars rather than two. Ad HARPOOOOOON!

Edit: Might scale it up a bit to differ it from the normal whale.