Recent Posts

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 10
Brainstorming For Playmobil / Re: What's wrong with Playmobil? 2
« Last post by JPSA on April 22, 2024, 04:22:31 »
When Playmobil started with stecks it was considered the golden years. The medieval, western and safari sets to this day are quite the collectors choice. Then slowly Playmobil went for systemX which in my opinion worked great for modern theme sets. . . . Luckily someone recognized the blunder and we thankfully were given the re-releases.

I get the point of both construction systems, too.  System-X is definitely better for some use-cases ( like: building a spaceship! ), though I do think Steck has a lot of untapped potential, and could be developed a lot further — maybe even partially integrated with System-X ( as seen here ).  ...The medieval re-releases, with its multi-colored houses, are beautiful; I almost pulled the trigger ( and now wish I had, as they are no longer available on the US website )!
Report & Review / Re: Porsche 911 Carrera RS 2.7 - Offroad 71436
« Last post by Rasputin on April 22, 2024, 03:24:36 »
Thanks

I’m needing about 6 of these in different colors
« Last post by Rasputin on April 22, 2024, 03:23:13 »
The build-ability of playmobil has been talked in great length. When Playmobil started with stecks it was considered the golden years. The medieval, western and safari sets to this day are quite the collectors choice. Then slowly Playmobil went for systemX which in my opinion worked great for modern theme sets.

Then some paper pusher , sharp pencil numb nut decided to go for (as Tahra calls it “system y”) the modular, un-expandable hunk of junk that seemed to appease some lazy parents who were too concerned with no wanting to spend 30 minutes with their child and build a set. “Let’s dumb down the whole brand for a few lazy parents” was probably the marketing pitch.

Luckily someone recognized the blunder and we thankfully were given the re-releases.

I honestly like most of the offerings currently in the catalog , I just think the economy is killing the brand. sometimes you just have to batten down the hatches, throw dead weight overboard and ride the storm out

Photography & Graphics / Re: JLMatterer Photo Gallery
« Last post by JLMatterer on April 22, 2024, 03:09:22 »
« Last post by JPSA on April 22, 2024, 00:43:56 »
If I may don my armchair-CEO hat, for a moment, here is what I would do to 'save' Playmobil:

PLAN A:

1) New upper management: Obviously, we need new, credible — legitimate — involved upper management.  The toxic atmosphere likely grew from upper management either making inept calls, and/or refusing to make decisions, being too removed from daily operations, thus leaving employees to take initiatives without support, and to fend for themselves, eventually turning on each other.  There is clearly an authority and accountability problem, and this power vacuum must be filled asap.  The old adage "fish rots from the head down" applies, here.

2) More franchises.  Worked wonders for Lego.

3) Enhance in-system construction play:  I'd like Playmobil to pay special attention to the construction aspect, and design in-system — both System-X AND Steck — playsets that are easily expandable.  Extending Steck with new pieces wouldn't be a bad idea, as well ( ex: x2-radius towers ).  ...Enough with playsets that are essentially composed of a few large molded pieces, and which can't be extended easily.  Modularity and reusability should be key.  Example: As good as it looks, can Novelmore's Violet Vale - Wizard Tower be extended vertically, let alone attached or integrated into another structure?  ...Nope!  Can its pieces be used in other sets?  ....Uh, not really, for the most part.  Note: Lego is essentially a construction toy, and returned to profitability by expanding its narrative-play potential ( via franchises ).  Maybe Playmobil can, being a narrative toy at heart, do the converse: expand its construction-play aspect.  The lack of expandability in new sets spurred the previous "What's wrong with Playmobil?" thread, back in 2008 [ which, ironically, included the following, now prophetic, plea from the OP: "PLAYMOBIL WAKE UP ... YOU'RE LOSING BUSINESS (MONEY) !!!" ].

4) Not just themes, worlds! Bring in external toy designers, with fresh artistic ideas and visions.  Note: This did wonders for Lego when they brought in art director Christian Faber — Bionicle's designer — in the early 2000s.  The Bionicle theme may have been a radical departure from the brick system, but the point is that, being an earnest and compelling paracosm, it did provide a much needed financial boost to Lego during their transition — buying them time — and may also have spurred internal designers to be more creatively ambitious, and design toys kids would actually want to play with ( ex: Chima, Ninjago, Nexo knights, Friends, ... ). New PM sets need to be 'paracosmic': enticing children to want to create ambitious, in-system WORLDS.  ...Which comes back to the previous point: elements need to be expandable and combinable into a greater, cohesive whole, that evokes a story.  Playmobil is first and foremost a narrative world-building toy.  The 'building' part actually matters.  Note: With some of the new Playmobil sets, it's hard to even know what you are looking at, which, to me, speaks of poor design ( ex: Sal'ahari Sands - Sand Stormer, Dino Mine )!

5) Tone down the political correctness, and conspicuous progressivism.  Boys are boys, and girls are girls, and their play-patterns are naturally different.  Also, I personally don't care about "biodegradable" plastics — it's just greenwashing.  Playmobil is not in business to save the planet, or to convey ideological / moral messages to kids.  At least, they shouldn't be, imo.  That's parents' job; let them make those decisions.

...Or, PLAN B:

Get the Star Wars license!  :D  ( ...whatever the cost, as it will have a halo effect across PM's entire catalog )

Either way, I believe the financial situation will likely have to grow from bad to worse, before we see any improvements at Playmobil.  They need their time of ashes, if they are to be reborn.  ...It is, however, an opportunity — should they choose to adapt and innovate — after they've put their house back in order.
News / Re: Playmobil in the News
« Last post by JLMatterer on April 21, 2024, 20:15:19 »

« Last post by Macruran on April 21, 2024, 18:40:29 »
That was a pretty well made video, fun to watch. Sad to understand though. Ah well sic transit gloria mundi  :-\
« Last post by playmofire on April 21, 2024, 10:54:10 »
In mass manufacturing industry it isn't wages per individual that are important  but cost of production per item.
Customs Gallery / Re: 18th-century customised flags
« Last post by Basie10 on April 21, 2024, 10:02:09 »
'Forward lads, at those Frenchies' ;D
Trains! / Re: I have a question about 5258 RC Freight Train
« Last post by GrahamB on April 21, 2024, 08:50:57 »
I'm just guessing, but they look like they are spaces for two strongboxes e.g. https://playmodb.org/cgi-bin/showpart.pl?partnum=30-07-5300 (many versions from the same mould exist- search 'strongbox' on PlaymoDB), though these are not included with the set.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 10