Author Topic: playmobil: The Movie: your opinion? (WITH SPOILERS!)  (Read 3928 times)

Offline tahra

• Playmo Guru
    • playkingdoms
playmobil: The Movie: your opinion? (WITH SPOILERS!)
« on: August 20, 2019, 18:02:58 »
What do you think?

Well.. the reviews are not good... and I felt like insulting the reviewers. The trailers were more promising...

If I am being realistic, I am afraid it is a great waste of opportunity.  I mean, klickys = win for me. <- period.

But... no real characters, no backstories... Some great gems there, of course, and LOADS of WONDERFUL klickys and animals and stuff that I would love to see "in the plastic"  (my wallet firmly disagrees!)

As in all movies (I think) the silly singing is mostly pointless and annoying - but that is probably just me...

Now... the greatest mystery of this... can ANYONE please explain me WHY there isn't a passport, with the stickers to fill it spread in ALL FREAKING SETS of the movie?!  Anyone? Please?

Offline Klickteryx

• Playmo Master
Re: playmobil: The Movie: your opinion? (WITH SPOILERS!)
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2019, 21:02:17 »
The reviews are mostly bad because it sounds like the movie is like Super4. A bunch of disconnected worlds/themes where you can travel between them. A concept that would only appeal to young children because they're trying to cram in everything they sell instead of telling a story and getting people interested in the characters - something which playmobil is supposed to be better at than lego.

Never saw the Lego movie so don't know if it did something similar and I don't know how they travel between themes in this upcoming movie - is it normal to travel from one to the other or do the characters have some special ability that allows them to?

I think it would have been better to set the movie in the present as the vast majority of the sets are contemporary and they could have had a plot where a magical group forces a door open to the modern world and that magical world would then allow all the fairy, magic, dragon, castle stuff to appear and you could also have a scientist come up with a time machine allowing access to the pre-historic, western, pirate and more medieval stuff - perhaps even a nod to the Planeta Agostini series.

Offline Hadoque

• Capitaine de la "Licorne"
  • Playmo Master
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2019, 08:30:34 »
Overhere too reviews in newspapers and in specialized press are deadly, mostly ratings from 0 to 2 (out of 5 stars).
It looks more and more like "The Movie" is going to turn out to be an epic ... disaster.

Resistance is futile, you will be boarded!

Offline bml87

• Mayor of Deadwood
  • Playmo Addict
  • Collecting Western and animal themes.
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2019, 12:49:49 »
Overhere too reviews in newspapers and in specialized press are deadly, mostly ratings from 0 to 2 (out of 5 stars).
It looks more and more like "The Movie" is going to turn out to be an epic ... disaster.

The reviews are bad indeed! But, how can Playmobil The Movie compete against The Lion King anyway?! I was in Ghent last week for the Lion and all the cinema halls were sold out for the Disney remake. The hall for Playmobil The Movie had sold barely 10 tickets...
Boris from Belgium - My collection - My dioramas:  Western Town II & North American forest

Offline JLMatterer

• Playmo Master
  • Playmobil in the News
    • Plamobil In The News

Offline GrahamB

• Playmo Master
    • Playmofanatic
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2019, 08:56:03 »
What is the reaction in Germany? Or Spain? Or other places where PM is not just a toy with a niche market (as it is here in the UK, I feel)?
At that moment the ship suddenly stopped rocking and swaying, the engine pitch settled down to a gentle hum. 'Hey Ford.' said Zaphod, 'that sounds good. Have you worked out the controls on this boat?' 'No,' said Ford, 'I just stopped fiddling with them.' (With thanks to Douglas Adams)

Offline tahra

• Playmo Guru
    • playkingdoms
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2019, 09:58:58 »
But... nobody actually saw it yet?  :o

Offline Oliver

• Playmo Addict
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2019, 11:29:56 »
I mean, it's a children's film designed around a toy range. It was never going to be Shakespeare,  was it?

Offline jodawill

• Playmo Enthusiast
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2019, 19:01:27 »
I haven't seen the movie, and I most likely never will. Honestly, it looked awful to me from the beginning. Their faces look stupid and it seems like a big ripoff of the Lego movie.

Offline Klickteryx

• Playmo Master
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2019, 06:14:03 »
I've seen people calling it a lego ripoff but how is it?

It's not like lego was that original either, they were just the first to market a film in the digital era based on a current toyline where the characters actually looked like the toy.  Prior to that there was Toy Story, Small Soldiers plus all the GI Joe cartoons which came with ads for the toys of course. Not sure where all the Barbie and Jem cartoons fit into it but marketing toys through film is not that new.