Author Topic: Silver Playmo.  (Read 11880 times)

Offline Sir Gareth

• Playmo Addict
Re: Silver Playmo.
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2007, 19:26:30 »
I've come across something called Bare Metal foil which I is self-adhesive.  I've never used it (though I've had some aluminium sheets for years) but it comes in a shiny chrome finish.  Here's a link to a UK supplier which I've used for other materials and is good.

http://www.hobby.uk.com/cgi-bin/hobbys-cgi/Catalogue.pl

It's been a while now since I have had the time to continue my restoration of my Silver knights parts.

After Gordon's post about Bare metal foil I looked into it and went ahead and bought a sheet from the US, because it was cheaper than anywhere else in the UK with Postage. ???
 The finished look of the foil is the best so far for colour and depth of shine but it still isn't what I'm looking for. It also has it's limitations as to how it deals with curves and made creases that can't be removed. The instructions say that it may be necessary to use several pieces to cover awkward areas but this leaves joints.
 Overall despite not giving the finish I wanted the product is easy to use and on flat surfaces does give a good mirrored look. It Isn't that hard wearing and in the toy box the surface can get damaged and any parts that lift can be peeled off very easily. So It is probably best used on display pieces and obviously ideal for making mirrors.

I have also tried another chrome spray that was said to be the best on the market but it is just as bad as all the others. :(

In the 2nd picture the parts are from left to right bare metal, original playmo silver and spray paint finishes.
I'm only human, born to make mistakes.

Offline Richard

• Retired Playmobil
  • Wargamer
  • Playmo Master
    • Garden Wargaming
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2007, 22:07:43 »

Hello, Garry ...

Have you thought about "chrome plating" the part to its original finish?

Click HERE ...

Just a thought ... :eh?:

All the best,
Richard

Offline Sir Gareth

• Playmo Addict
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2007, 08:02:23 »

Hello, Garry ...

Have you thought about "chrome plating" the part to its original finish?

Click HERE ...

Just a thought ... :eh?:

All the best,
Richard

Hi Richard,

I have been told about a UK company that will reproduce parts and chrome plate them. The person I spoke to restores old corgi and dinky cars and gets bumbers and other plastic trims made for them. The problem is the cost of each individual part to be plated because all I require are small amounts.

I'm only human, born to make mistakes.

Offline matchboxluc

• custom master
  • Playmo Lover
  • seventies lover
« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2007, 13:44:35 »
I wonder if the chrome plated parts were really chrome plated; when I look at a torso on the inside there is some original plastic colour still visible and it gradually becomes chrome when going further to the bottom of that torso. I guess when such a part is really chrome plated it would be totally covered in chrome...
phantasy is in the mind, realisation is in my hands!

Offline Customizer

• Playmo Master
« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2007, 12:18:20 »

Offline macgayver

• MrPainterElf
  • Playmo Addict
  • www.macgayverplaymobil.be
    • Macgayverplaymobil
« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2007, 15:44:18 »
seen this in real and had a talk with the guy

it was very high quality chrome

don't know anything 'bout prices thoug
One picture say's more then a thousand words ;)