Author Topic: The Captain's Basement  (Read 4950 times)

Offline Captain Henry

• Pirate King!
  • Playmo Lover
The Captain's Basement
« on: July 27, 2006, 02:03:10 »
This past weekend I was finally able to get some serious work done on my basement project. As usual (at least with me) the nature of the project has changed somewhat, and will probably continue to change, as it progresses.

Initially, all I wanted was a place to build an indoor Playmo train layout. But first that required cleaning out the basement. Since I am lazy, I decided to do something different. For now, I am building what amounts to basically a large playtable on which to set up displays, as well as play with the kids and our Playmobil. The tabletops will give me space underneath to store a lot of the stuff that is cluttering my basement. And a lot of other stuff will be sold (probably on eBay) to make more room. Once the tables and undertable storage are complete, I am planning on beginning to add tracks for the layout (although I am not sure if I will create a new level of support for the tracks; as I said, it is a work in progress).

So here are the first sets of photos of progress so far. Next week I am going out of town (so if anyone knows of good places to buy Playmo in Indianapolis, I'd appreciate it :D), so it will probably be a few weeks before I can devote more real time to the task...

First batch of photos shows a general view of the scope of the project. The second photo shows a lateral file that I incorporated into the design to give me a place to put instructions, catalogs, etc. The third one is a close-up of the far wall (which i built in order to set off another storage area behind it where we keep all out Christmas decorations and such).
He who rules the seas, rules the world! And pirates rule the seas! -- Captain Henry

Offline Captain Henry

• Pirate King!
  • Playmo Lover
Re: The Captain's Basement
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2006, 02:05:51 »
The next three photos show the long wall. I am planning on some type of smaller shelving to display my customized klickies along that wall, perhaps to the left of the shelf with the ships.

Also, in the third picture, you can just make out a section of tabletop that is lower than the rest. That is the water level in my port section. I did not want to make it too low, because I like the idea of docked ships towering over passengers, crew, etc, on the docks.

Now I am hoping we do not have to move anytime soon!
He who rules the seas, rules the world! And pirates rule the seas! -- Captain Henry

Online playmofire

• Klicky Firemeister
  • Playmo Guru
    • Copt Hewick Volunteer Fire Brigade - probably the world's smallest fire brigade!
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2006, 08:51:27 »
Jealousy! Jealousy! Jealousy!

You're doing a great Job, Cap'n.  Look forward to seeing more.

We are planning to move house next year hopefully to the Norfolk coast and hopefully to somewhere where there is room for my fire and rescue stuff to be readily play-available.
“Today well-lived makes every yesterday a day of happiness to remember and every tomorrow a vision of hope.”

Offline Richard

• Retired Playmobil
  • Wargamer
  • Playmo Master
    • Garden Wargaming
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2006, 16:20:29 »
Hello, Cap'n Henry ...

No wonder you've been somewhat quiet lately ... ;)

That's a HUGE project that you've undertaken, my friend ... :)

I didn't see any wiring. But, I'm sure that you have planned for lots of lights as well as lots of outlets for trains and other accessories.

Next time I'm in WashDC, I need to ask for an invitation to see your splendid PlaymoRoom in progress. (As you seem to be well aware ... It will always be "in progress.") ... :lol:

Thanks for the photos.

All the best,
Richard

Online playmofire

• Klicky Firemeister
  • Playmo Guru
    • Copt Hewick Volunteer Fire Brigade - probably the world's smallest fire brigade!
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2006, 16:57:21 »
Are you planning to have some system of backdrops on the wall for photography purposes?
“Today well-lived makes every yesterday a day of happiness to remember and every tomorrow a vision of hope.”

Offline Captain Henry

• Pirate King!
  • Playmo Lover
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2006, 01:18:51 »
Are you planning to have some system of backdrops on the wall for photography purposes?

Yes Gordon, I am. I plan to paint the walls a pale blue to be the sky. I will use styrofoam insulation sheets, which are light and easy to work with, to build up the land forms. The plan is to have a paint store exactly match the color of Playmobil grass, sand and rock in order for the Playmo landscapes and foliage, etc., to blend in perfectly.

Again, that is the plan. :D The reality may end up being very different.

Oh, and Richard, when the time comes to lay some track, I will just drill holes in the wood and run all the wires under the tabletop. But as I said, that is for the long term. The short term goal is to get all that clutter out of the basement and complete the basic structure so I have room to actually set up and play with stuff!

Offline Sylvia

• Administrator
  • Playmo Master
    • Just For Kl!cks
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2006, 08:02:03 »
WOW! :o
This is the kind of display/play area that most of us collectors dream of having one day! :D
Look forward to seeing more pics as the project progresses! 8-)
Thanks for sharing it with us, Henry! :)

Offline Morgan

• Playmo Lover
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2006, 19:19:03 »
You are going to get a nice place there. I wish I had half the space you have...  :-[

Offline missangel

• Playmo Pal
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2006, 01:10:40 »
Captain the construction looks like it is going well.... mine however is in the basement cleaning out stage as you had mentioned before.  I am also at a loss, i would like to create a built up multi level floor for my daughter but i'm still fighting with myself as to how it should be done.    i suppose my next stage is laying out the train tracks in the area before i start construction!   

i hope you have less arguments in your mind than i do as to what you want your playmo area to become!

good luck and, after my procrastination stops i will flicker more pics!

Offline Captain Henry

• Pirate King!
  • Playmo Lover
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2006, 03:48:34 »
i hope you have less arguments in your mind than i do as to what you want your playmo area to become!

Of course not! :D That wouldn't be any fun at all!

And don't wait until the basement is cleared out - look at my photos, I obviously didn't. It would be a lot easier to wait, as I am getting tired of moving the boxes from place to place as I work around them, but if I'd waited until it was clear I'd never have started!