Author Topic: The Making of : Summer Garden Party on Regent St  (Read 199627 times)

Offline playmovictorian

• Playmo Master
  • Happy Little Victorians
    • Playmovictorian
Re: The Making of : Summer Garden Party on Regent St
« Reply #2250 on: November 27, 2019, 20:46:40 »

I hope that just like myself, these pictures helped you feel a little festive  ;D

I wish you all a great evening  :wave:

Karim
La, tout n'est qu'ordre et beaute, luxe, calme et volupte. L'Invitation au Voyage. Charles Baudelaire.1857.

Offline PMatt

• Playmo Lover
« Reply #2251 on: November 29, 2019, 14:37:10 »
I had no idea mulled wine (we call it vin brulé) was so widespread – thanks for the lecture!

I really dig your winter setting, the snow layer turned out great.

Offline playmovictorian

• Playmo Master
    • Playmovictorian
« Reply #2252 on: December 01, 2019, 12:08:58 »
Thank you so much dear Friend  :wave:
La, tout n'est qu'ordre et beaute, luxe, calme et volupte. L'Invitation au Voyage. Charles Baudelaire.1857.

Offline playmovictorian

• Playmo Master
    • Playmovictorian
« Reply #2253 on: December 01, 2019, 12:11:26 »
Good morning dear Friends  :wave:

I hope that you are all well.

My little Victorians would like to wish you all a happy December 1st  :)

Mrs Claus Christmas Patisserie

Let it Snow !

I wish you all a great Sunday  :wave:

Karim

Offline playmovictorian

• Playmo Master
    • Playmovictorian
« Reply #2254 on: December 02, 2019, 17:23:35 »
Good evening dear Friends  :wave:

I hope that you are well.

I am very pleased with the two arms chandelier with berry red lamp shades which are bringing just the right warm glow to Mrs Claus Christmas Patisserie.

So let's continue with the traditions of Christmas.

The Traditions of Christmas

The history of the Yule log cake stretches all the way back to Europe’s Iron Age, before the medieval era. Back then, Celtic Brits and Gaelic Europeans would gather to welcome the winter solstice at December’s end. People would feast to celebrate the days finally becoming longer, signaling the end of the winter season. To cleanse the air of the previous year’s events and to usher in the spring, families would burn logs decorated with holly, pinecones or ivy. Wine and salt were also often used to anoint the logs. Once burned, the log’s ashes were valuable treasures said to have medicinal benefits and to guard against evil. Some groups claimed the ashes would protect the bearer from lightning—an important quality at a time when houses (and most of the contents in them) were made of wood.

With the advent of Christianity, the Yule log tradition continued, albeit on a smaller scale. Families may have burned a log on Christmas Eve, but smaller hearths became the norm so huge logs were impractical. Those small hearths, however, were perfect for baking cakes. We don’t know who exactly made the first Yule log cake, but judging from the individual ingredients it could have been as early as the 1600s. Marzipan and meringue decorations, two of the most popular choices for Yule logs, appeared on many a medieval table.

Karim :wave:

Offline PMatt

• Playmo Lover
« Reply #2255 on: December 02, 2019, 21:28:14 »
I knew nothing at all about that! It's being an extremely informative experience.

Offline playmovictorian

• Playmo Master
    • Playmovictorian
« Reply #2256 on: December 03, 2019, 19:21:03 »
Thank you so much dear Friend  :wave:

Offline playmovictorian

• Playmo Master
    • Playmovictorian
« Reply #2257 on: December 03, 2019, 19:31:59 »

Today was a great day on New Regent St which see its very first Christmas tree brought by our little elf.

This brought joy to all my little victorians, especially the children who had their first snowball fight of the winter and even built a snowman.

And let's not forget leaving a sign for the Santa's reindeer to stop and much on some delicious garden grown carrots  :lol:

The Traditions of Christmas

The evergreen fir tree has traditionally been used to celebrate winter festivals (pagan and Christian) for thousands of years. Pagans used branches of it to decorate their homes during the winter solstice, as it made them think of the spring to come. The Romans used Fir Trees to decorate their temples at the festival of Saturnalia. Christians use it as a sign of everlasting life with God.

Nobody is really sure when Fir trees were first used as Christmas trees. It probably began about 1000 years ago in Northern Europe. Many early Christmas Trees seem to have been hung upside down from the ceiling using chains (hung from chandeliers/lighting hooks).

Other early Christmas Trees, across many parts of northern Europe, were cherry or hawthorn plants (or a branch of the plant) that were put into pots and brought inside so they would hopefully flower at Christmas time. If you couldn't afford a real plant, people made pyramids of woods and they were decorated to look like a tree with paper, apples and candles. Sometimes they were carried around from house to house, rather than being displayed in a home.
It's possible that the wooden pyramid trees were meant to be like Paradise Trees. These were used in medieval German Mystery or Miracle Plays that were acted out in front of Churches on Christmas Eve. In early church calendars of saints, 24th December was Adam and Eve's day. The Paradise Tree represented the Garden of Eden. It was often paraded around the town before the play started, as a way of advertising the play. The plays told Bible stories to people who could not read.

The first documented use of a tree at Christmas and New Year celebrations is argued between the cities of Tallinn in Estonia and Riga in Latvia! Both claim that they had the first trees; Tallinn in 1441 and Riga in 1510. Both trees were put up by the 'Brotherhood of Blackheads' which was an association of local unmarried merchants, ship owners, and foreigners in Livonia (what is now Estonia and Latvia).

Little is known about either tree apart from that they were put in the town square, were danced around by the Brotherhood of Blackheads and were then set on fire. This is like the custom of the Yule Log. The word used for the 'tree' could also mean a mast or pole, tree might have been like a 'Paradise Tree' or a tree-shaped wooden candelabra rather than a 'real' tree.

In the town square of Riga, the capital of Latvia, there is a plaque which is engraved with "The First New Year's Tree in Riga in 1510", in eight languages.

A picture from Germany in 1521 which shows a tree being paraded through the streets with a man riding a horse behind it. The man is dressed a bishop, possibly representing St. Nicholas.

The First Snowball Fight of the Winter

Reindeer Parking Only !  :lol:

Offline playmovictorian

• Playmo Master
    • Playmovictorian
« Reply #2258 on: December 10, 2019, 12:24:30 »
Good morning dear Friends  :wave:

I hope that you are well and busy to prepare your own little christmas with a heart filled with joy and lights.

I will be going back my beloved little French village for my holidays in 9 days and in the meantime, my little victorians are really enjoying the snow on New Regent St  :high5:

Here are a few pictures taken yesterday while sipping a glass of port and a few mince pies of course  :lol: :

Decorating the Christmas Tree

To Santa, North Pole, please !

Christmas shopping in London

Snowball battle with Rupert the Cat

Offline playmovictorian

• Playmo Master
    • Playmovictorian
« Reply #2259 on: December 10, 2019, 17:39:20 »

Here are a few pictures I took this afternoon of the London double deckerbus which have quite nicely captured the Christmas atmosphere :

Fresh Christmas Tree Delivery

Christmas in London

London here we come !