Author Topic: Design by Committee?  (Read 4610 times)

Offline Martin Milner

• Eugene, Oregon, USA
  • Playmo Master
    • An Englishman in Eugene
Design by Committee?
« on: March 11, 2009, 06:20:13 »
From "The Story of a Smile" p60:

When a new figure needs to be created, the designers first ...pick up a printed slide to prepare a fashion show containing 20 different outfits. Anyone who walks past the desk gives his or her opinion, until the choice is down to just two or three figures. The a team from the marketing and sales department makes ther final decision...

We as a group have remarked on how a new figure is, to our way of seeing, occasionally slightly wrong in one area (e.g. the legs of 4670 Crusader are gold, not silver), and I wonder if this "design by committee" might be the reason?

Offline Klickus Mobilius

• Playmo Addict
Re: Design by Committee?
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2009, 08:10:01 »
Hmm...this would explain much.   :hmm:
CARPE KLICKY!

Offline CountBogro

• desperate poet
  • Playmo Master
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2009, 10:44:13 »
Hmm...this would explain much.   :hmm:

actually, it doesn't.
Anyone walking past must have seen that the golden legs are wrong ? ? ?  ??? ? ? ?

Or are they blind  8-)
... and then dusk came and brought despair.

Offline Martin Milner

• Eugene, Oregon, USA
  • Playmo Master
    • An Englishman in Eugene
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2009, 12:18:05 »
Well it seems that, instead of a researcher checking on the historically accurate colours and styles, and then choosing parts based on that research, that we have people saying "oh, that looks pretty", and I'm not entiely sure it's leading to the best results in all cases.

Offline Bill Blackhurst

• Playmo Master
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2009, 14:15:03 »
Well it seems that, instead of a researcher checking on the historically accurate colours and styles, and then choosing parts based on that research, that we have people saying "oh, that looks pretty", and I'm not entiely sure it's leading to the best results in all cases.

We must however remember Martin, that these are to be "somewhat" historically accurate, but overall attractive to children, so "that looks pretty" does have a lot to do with it although the pink or fuchsia barbarian figures, what were they thinking  :doh:, let's try this color for a violent theme that we have never tried before ???  :lol:? Buzz, WRONG!  :no: ! Or was it? The,...."This is ugly on our faces, not stupid!" error syndrome?
« Last Edit: March 11, 2009, 14:40:50 by Bill Blackhurst »
  Forget about all of the other stuff,....all we need is the reintroduction of the 3526 Fire Engine!

Offline kenc

• Playmo Lover
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2009, 14:28:07 »
The pink and purple colors on the barbarian were so strange that I turned the barbarians into wealthy knights and soldiers (in medieval times, purple colors indicated wealth)  :yup:

Offline cachalote

• x
  • Playmo Master
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2009, 20:13:16 »
these are so bad news.  :(
trying to replace the work of one "brain" (i am speaking of hans beck) by  casual passing by informal oppinions will lead to disaster.  :no:
it is the same as in a ship - you can't replace its captain by a comitee of sailors.
or, better said - you can - but you will soon sink.
  :arrr:
    honni soit qui mal y pense

Offline Bill Blackhurst

• Playmo Master
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2009, 20:27:34 »
these are so bad news.  :(
trying to replace the work of one "brain" (i am speaking of hans beck) by  casual passing by informal oppinions will lead to disaster.  :no:
it is the same as in a ship - you can't replace its captain by a comitee of sailors.
or, better said - you can - but you will soon sink.
  :arrr:

blub! blub!  :help:
  Forget about all of the other stuff,....all we need is the reintroduction of the 3526 Fire Engine!

Offline Justindo

• Playmo Master
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2009, 01:13:32 »
I can just hear someone saying, "I like the gold legs better because they're more shinier!"
:egypt: :roman: :viking: :knight: :arrr: :indian: :cowboy:

Offline cachalote

• x
  • Playmo Master
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2009, 16:26:04 »
... or "i love those red pirates, they look just like my new lipstick / my new volkswagen"  0), and "this way, all red, it's so much easier to sort them out from the policemen".  :-[
    honni soit qui mal y pense