Author Topic: 3298 Castle Expansion Capabilities???? I want higher walls!! Help!  (Read 9511 times)

Offline Wesley Myers

• Playmo Master
Re: 3298 Castle Expansion Capabilities???? I want higher walls!! Help!
« Reply #30 on: January 14, 2011, 17:36:52 »
I like the base idea.  If you want to expand it, you could make it modular.

Offline BlackPearl2006

• Playmo Addict
  • Greetings from USA :) Pirates, Ahoy!
« Reply #31 on: January 14, 2011, 20:09:12 »
I like the base idea.  If you want to expand it, you could make it modular.

I thought about that too.  Actually, the base edges are carved in way that they can double as one riverbank side of the mote (sorry spelling).  The outter parts I could have saved to become the outside bank of the mote, but I threw them away because of my space limitations.  But I can always buy more material and reconstruct it later.

The base is modular, so to speak, actually.  It is comprised of two blocks of foam on which I cut a puzzle-type interlocking pattern so that they could be joined together to form one base, and can be disassembled for storage without taking up as much space since it can be stacked in multiple pieces.  If I want to expand the castle further, all I have to do is insert a new block between them (similar to a dining table that has a removeable center portion) with the same interlocking pattern.
Ahoy, Pirates, Hoist the Colours!

Offline Andy R

• DPAAAGG.
  • x
  • Playmo Addict
  • I come here for peace and quiet.
    • http://www.survival101.wetpaint.com
« Reply #32 on: January 14, 2011, 23:26:28 »
Gel?  :o What do you mean? This sounds like a good idea.
Well, I thought of gel because water leaks and evaporates too easily. I can’t suggest what type of gel, but I’m pretty sure it won’t be a type you’d want to eat…
If I’m jealous, you did SOMETHING right. Keep it up. :D
I Support Operation Anime Storm..

Offline BlackPearl2006

• Playmo Addict
« Reply #33 on: January 14, 2011, 23:50:56 »
If I had my own room for displaying the castle I would have carved the mote, painted the bed of the mote blue, and filled it with real water.

However, for now it resides on the living room floor in full access to my wee ones, so having real water (or even gel) in there just isn't feasible at this time....too messy.

One other alternative I may use is to place a play mat under the base that is slightly bigger, and just paint blue mote water around it to suggest real water for now.

Offline bonniebeth

• playmo zoo architect
  • Playmo Guru
    • my youtube channel
« Reply #34 on: January 14, 2011, 23:57:15 »
Have considered EZ water, like model makers use for train layouts? Because it dries hard and wouldn't be messy around the kids, but can look very convincing. You paint the surface underneath whatever color you want the water to be. I know you weren't really asking about this anymore, but I couldn't help but bring it up.  ;D
My playmobil zoo: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E-0grq9acog
In the end, we will conserve only what we love. We will love only what we understand. We will understand only what we are taught.

Offline BlackPearl2006

• Playmo Addict
« Reply #35 on: January 15, 2011, 00:06:16 »
Have considered EZ water, like model makers use for train layouts? Because it dries hard and wouldn't be messy around the kids, but can look very convincing. You paint the surface underneath whatever color you want the water to be. I know you weren't really asking about this anymore, but I couldn't help but bring it up.  ;D

yeah, thought about doing that too.  It's pretty much a clear resin I think.  I also thought about somehow incorporating the playmobil river sets that come with the wildlife animals (like the Lion Pride) that hook together to make a riverbed.   Lotsa ideas.  I'm sure I'll get more ideas from the train show with Glazz's playmotrains tomorrow in Seattle :D

Offline Andy R

• DPAAAGG.
  • x
  • Playmo Addict
  • I come here for peace and quiet.
    • http://www.survival101.wetpaint.com
« Reply #36 on: January 16, 2011, 04:12:22 »
However, for now it resides on the living room floor in full access to my wee ones, so having real water (or even gel) in there just isn't feasible at this time....too messy.
Ya. Maybe later on.
If I’m jealous, you did SOMETHING right. Keep it up. :D
I Support Operation Anime Storm..