Author Topic: I would like to see a Playmobil milk man set.  (Read 4354 times)

Offline Ackie

• Playmo Fanatic
I would like to see a Playmobil milk man set.
« on: October 27, 2019, 19:49:19 »
I would like to see a Playmobil milk man set. The milk man would come with his hat and milk carrier with filled milk bottles. You could buy  his milk float but make that  as a add on pack.
It doesn’t matter how big or small your Playmobil collection is, it’s what you do with it that matters.

Offline playmofire

• Klicky Firemeister
  • Playmo Guru
    • Copt Hewick Volunteer Fire Brigade - probably the world's smallest fire brigade!
Re: I would like to see a Playmobil milk man set.
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2019, 20:51:34 »
A nice idea, but I think the milkman is a peculiarly UK thing and so wouldn't generate many sales.  Even in the UK it's a declining profession, the last time we had the milk delivered must be about nine years ago.

Having said that, on one of my train layouts at Kirkbean, I did have a crate of milk on one carriage for the more remote villages.
“Today well-lived makes every yesterday a day of happiness to remember and every tomorrow a vision of hope.”

Offline Hadoque

• Capitaine de la "Licorne"
  • Playmo Master
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2019, 21:35:38 »
the milkman is a peculiarly UK thing
Even in the UK it's a declining profession

The Milkman used to be a common thing in Belgium as well. I remember the milkman used to come daily in the street where I grew up, later on with the number of customers in decline he came only twice a week, then only once, then it stopped. I think the last milkman in my area retired somewhere in the second half of the 90s.

Resistance is futile, you will be boarded!

Offline tahra

• Playmo Guru
    • playkingdoms
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2019, 08:45:20 »
I would like such a set too..

I don't remember a milkman, but remember going with my grandmother with a tin vessel to get milk - and drinking it BEFORE it was... "boiled"?  It was a totally different flavor.  THE HORROR....  :P   (but it never killed me)

Offline Macruran

• desperate but not serious
  • Playmo Master
  • Hiya!
    • my incomplete collection spreadsheet
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2019, 09:24:51 »
I'd like such a set so I could recreate that Father Ted episode.
"We like things in little." - G. Stein  
 :roman:

Offline Oliver

• Playmo Addict
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2019, 04:40:15 »
I would like such a set too..

I don't remember a milkman, but remember going with my grandmother with a tin vessel to get milk - and drinking it BEFORE it was... "boiled"? 

I think you mean pasteurised?

Supposedly there is a minor revival of the milkman, due to concerns over plastic bottles.

Offline tahra

• Playmo Guru
    • playkingdoms
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2019, 09:27:26 »
I think you mean pasteurised?

Right  :-[

"pasteurizado" in portuguese... says so in the cartons, right? 

Offline GrahamB

• Playmo Master
    • Playmofanatic
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2019, 10:56:51 »
I think that's a great idea!
White bottles were included in some of the UK 'Playpeople' sets from the 1970s, e.g. 1725. Evidently British workers drink milk so maybe people here didn't like the green (=beer?) bottles in the German counterpart sets.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2020, 11:22:17 by GrahamB »
At that moment the ship suddenly stopped rocking and swaying, the engine pitch settled down to a gentle hum. 'Hey Ford.' said Zaphod, 'that sounds good. Have you worked out the controls on this boat?' 'No,' said Ford, 'I just stopped fiddling with them.' (With thanks to Douglas Adams)

Offline playmofire

• Klicky Firemeister
  • Playmo Guru
    • Copt Hewick Volunteer Fire Brigade - probably the world's smallest fire brigade!
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2019, 11:12:25 »
I think that's a great idea!
White bottles were included in some of the UK 'Playpeople' sets from the 1970s, e.g. 1725. Evidently British workers drink milk so maybe people here didn't like the green (=beer?) bottles in the German counterpart sets.

The beer bottles in the original German sets were quickly phased out because of the reaction of the public.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2020, 11:22:56 by GrahamB »
“Today well-lived makes every yesterday a day of happiness to remember and every tomorrow a vision of hope.”

Offline GrahamB

• Playmo Master
    • Playmofanatic
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2019, 11:23:24 »
Yet in set 3206, they replaced two 'garbage cans' with a crate of green beer bottles, and put a sticker on the box to show the changed contents. See page 30 of Collector 3rd edition*. Perhaps they had to find a way to use up those bottles (3206 was a set of luggage with no klickies to get drunk).

*For newcomers to PM collecting, that's Playmobil Collector 1974-2009 3.Edition by Axel Hennel, a very useful reference book if you can get hold of one. Unfortunately it hasn't been updated, partly because Axel Hennel died a few years ago.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2019, 09:55:33 by GrahamB »
At that moment the ship suddenly stopped rocking and swaying, the engine pitch settled down to a gentle hum. 'Hey Ford.' said Zaphod, 'that sounds good. Have you worked out the controls on this boat?' 'No,' said Ford, 'I just stopped fiddling with them.' (With thanks to Douglas Adams)