Author Topic: 5511 Birthday Party  (Read 5736 times)

Offline BowlInJar

• Playmo Enthusiast
5511 Birthday Party
« on: January 12, 2014, 03:03:42 »
I've had this 5511 Birthday Party set unopened for over 10 years now.  My wife and I got on a Victorian Dollhouse kick about 15 years ago and this is one of the last Victorian pieces that we purchased.  I don't know why we never opened it.  I was tempted to sell it on eBay a few years ago, but she wouldn't let me.  (And these days, I kick myself for ever selling any of our Playmobil on eBay in the past. ???)  Well, we've brought up all the Playmobil from the basement and I figured now would be as good a time as any to open it up!   ;D

P1117538 by BowlInJar, on Flickr

P1117539 by BowlInJar, on Flickr

The point of no return  8}

P1117540 by BowlInJar, on Flickr

Everything dumped out on the floor before assembly:

P1117542 by BowlInJar, on Flickr

Pretty quick and easy to assemble:

P1117543 by BowlInJar, on Flickr

P1117544 by BowlInJar, on Flickr

A close up of the klickies:

P1117545 by BowlInJar, on Flickr

Notice that the "spin wheel" has different faces that you can swap out.

P1117547 by BowlInJar, on Flickr

A close up of all the goodies:

P1117549 by BowlInJar, on Flickr

I'm really hungry for birthday cake right now!!   :love:

And finally, here it is in context of our Playmobil land...

P1117550 by BowlInJar, on Flickr

To be honest, I think this set is just OK.  That's probably why we never opened it.  I'm certainly glad that we have it, and it makes a great addition to our layout, but I feel like after I set it up... now what?  You can only spin the wheel so many times.  LOL. 

Offline sunflower

• Playmo Addict
Re: 5511 Birthday Party
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2014, 14:23:46 »
Looks like a very nice set. I love the big table and the magician.
Nice to have a party in your Playmotown!
life in plastic it's fantastic

Offline PlaymoMan

• Playmo Master
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2014, 14:53:34 »
It's nice to see this set out of the box and mixed in with the rest of the Victorian theme. Thanks for the review! :)
Life's essentials: food, water, shelter and at least one klicky.

Offline Birdie

• Playmo Master
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2014, 17:07:06 »
I've found a MISB set like this on a fair in August and I love it!

I did have a discussion about it: is it truely a Victorian set? The box (colour and background) suggests it, so I've always considered it to be one of the last Victorian sets produced, but... Dimitris persisted that some of the children's clothes and the sign are very un-Victorian. I had to admit he's got a point  :)

Offline Rhalius

• Playmo Master
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2014, 08:45:12 »
The only thing victorian about it seems to be the table and chairs, as well as the tea set.

Why are these kids sipping tea and having a huge cake?

And which kid cheapened out and didnt bring a gift?  ??? There's two presents there with a doll in each, and there's four kids of which one has the birthday. Or did the third kid give the puppy or the tea set?

Offline Ismene

• Playmo Master
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2014, 10:46:39 »
Great pics! This is one of the pink boxes I don't have, so it's nice to see detailed photos of it.

They could have made it more Victorian-y, since it's in a pink box. I would like to get this set eventually though.

Offline BowlInJar

• Playmo Enthusiast
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2014, 18:12:10 »
I've found a MISB set like this on a fair in August and I love it!

I did have a discussion about it: is it truely a Victorian set? The box (colour and background) suggests it, so I've always considered it to be one of the last Victorian sets produced, but... Dimitris persisted that some of the children's clothes and the sign are very un-Victorian. I had to admit he's got a point  :)

That's a great point.  Personally, I'd say it is indeed a Victorian set because of the color of the box and the fact that it was always advertised in the Victorian section of the catalog.  But... practically speaking, it doesn't make a lot of sense - when you look at the sign and the boy with the blue shrit.  It doesn't really bother me either way, I sometimes mix themes a bit on my own anyway.  It's a fun set and I'm happy to have it :)

Offline Rasputin

• The Mad Monk
  • Playmo Master
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2014, 19:00:24 »
Thanks for the nice review, we have lost of parts to this set but never the whole thing or MISB. We use the die spinner to play games. The magician has run off and joined the circus in our town. I never took this to be a Victorian set though, Mylar balloons in the shape of hearts just do not emulate the 1900's for some reason. I always thought this went with the modern dollhouse

Why are these kids sipping tea and having a huge cake?

And which kid cheapened out and didnt bring a gift?  ??? There's two presents there with a doll in each, and there's four kids of which one has the birthday. Or did the third kid give the puppy or the tea set?

:lmao: a puppy for a b-day present, a parents dream  ;) oh and the triple decker wedding cake for 4 kids  :0 diabetes anyone  :P
If you hear the sound of the bell which will tell you that Grigori has been killed, if it was your relations who have wrought my death, then no one in the family will remain alive. They will be killed by the Russian people. :prays:

Offline Ismene

• Playmo Master
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2014, 04:53:21 »
<- wants a triple decker birthday cake

Offline DrDalek6

• Playmo Master
    • BTCV Mini Carbon Army
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2014, 22:23:31 »
I've gotta say I do like the look of that set looks like it comes with lots of good accessoreis I particularly like the desing of the spinning wheel so colourful and all nice Klickies as well I particularly like the Magician great outfit with the purple cape and top hat. I don't think it does look very Victorian though with the outfits in particular plus the signs and wheel etc.  :)