Author Topic: Best bang for your buck set  (Read 395 times)

Offline Alex4420

• Playmo Enthusiast
Best bang for your buck set
« on: February 04, 2024, 17:58:41 »
I bought 3738 https://playmodb.org/cgi-bin/showinv.pl?setnum=3738 this week because it a) reminded me of a wonderful white, orange and blue Matchbox racing car I had as a kid and b) aside from the car, it has six (!) klickys and a ton of fun little accessories. Compared to some sets today, where you might not even get ten total pieces, this 47 piece set seemed like a great bargain. It got me thinking: Which sets (small, medium and large) present the best value for money, past or present? In the "small" set category, 3738 might be hard to beat...

Offline Alex4420

• Playmo Enthusiast
Re: Best bang for your buck set
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2024, 18:01:32 »

Offline GrahamB

• Playmo Master
    • Playmofanatic
Re: Best bang for your buck set
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2024, 10:20:41 »
That's a tough question! I guess the answer depends on whether you are talking about a set when it is brand new, or a MISB older set, or a secondhand set.

Large set:
At the moment, 4865 is selling (secondhand) on eBay for as little as £60, which I think represents excellent value, provided it is a complete set (spare parts are not easy to find). This castle is full of features, like secret chambers and trap doors, plus 6 klickies, one of which (the queen )  is one of the most stunning ones around.

Medium set:
When I opened 6891, Night walk aka 9156, I thought that was good value, with the UV torch in there. It's still available from Amazon.uk for £12.99.

The worst value for money are things like Everdreamerz and the Naruto figures. I waited for a 30% off sale to buy some of the latter, but the prices were still eye-watering. Nice klickies though!
At that moment the ship suddenly stopped rocking and swaying, the engine pitch settled down to a gentle hum. 'Hey Ford.' said Zaphod, 'that sounds good. Have you worked out the controls on this boat?' 'No,' said Ford, 'I just stopped fiddling with them.' (With thanks to Douglas Adams)