Author Topic: time for an oldie  (Read 7801 times)

Offline arab warrior

• Playmo Lover
time for an oldie
« on: February 14, 2007, 10:32:30 »
I always liked this set and was trying real hard to obtain all the pieces.
When i saw a complete set on a Dutch site i was very quick to react and was surprised to hear that she asked just 6 euro for the set!! And that included shipping 8}

I was even more surprised when the set reached me because the set looked absolutely brand new, no colouration of the white parts and all the klickies were in pristine condition!!

Maybe you're wondering why i love this old set so much, but i can explain myself.
First i remember having it when i was younger and even then it had a special place in my room.
Second there are many parts that aren't available in other sets, at least not that i know of.
The white hat on the left, the curved walking cane, the green round suitcase, the hat in  green from the green and yellow lady and the white cuffs with the pointy ends.

I hope you enjoy the set as much as i do!!

Rob

Offline Richard

• Retired Playmobil
  • Wargamer
  • Playmo Master
    • Garden Wargaming
Re: time for an oldie
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2007, 19:33:52 »

Hello, Rob ...

Set 3543 "The European Travellers" from the early 1800's has also been one of my favourite Playmobil sets of all time!

That was a GREAT price that you got! (And, it included shipping! WOW!)

As you said, there are many parts in this set that were not included in any other set!

The early 19th century top hat is wonderful! I made a mould of it and cast some hats that were very easily converted to British Marine hats from the Napoleonic period. (See attached photo.)

Thanks for sharing your "oldie" with us.

Maybe, every now and then, we should all post a review (or two) of some of our "older" sets.

Thanks again and all the best,
Richard

Offline Sylvia

• Administrator
  • Playmo Master
    • Just For Kl!cks
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2007, 20:53:57 »
Really great buy, Rob! :D
I'm envious! >:D

I consider myself lucky to have some of the parts from that set since a good friend sent them to me as a gift a few years ago. I even had the blue tapered gentleman's hat, but ~*ahem*~ I confess that I did something rather terrible with it before realising how rare an item it was...
I painted it black! :doh: (I needed a hat for my Pilgrim custom a few years ago and that one seemed to be just right. :-[)

Thanks for the photo. I hadn't noticed that the walking stick was such an unusual piece until you pointed it out. 8-)

I believe this set is a favourite one with quite a few collectors, from the many discussions I've read on other forums. ;)

Offline playmofire

• Klicky Firemeister
  • Playmo Guru
    • Copt Hewick Volunteer Fire Brigade - probably the world's smallest fire brigade!
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2007, 01:39:42 »

Set 3543 "The European Travellers" from the early 1800's has also been one of my favourite Playmobil sets of all time!

Although the bag held by the figure on the right looks like a Gladstone bag which was named after W. E. Gladstone who was British Prime MInister during the last quarter or so of the 19th century.  Maybe it was a style of bag which pre-dated him but was called after him because he used it a lot.
“Today well-lived makes every yesterday a day of happiness to remember and every tomorrow a vision of hope.”

Offline Tiermann

• Playmo Master
  • Playmosaurus friendus
    • Animobil
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2007, 03:22:45 »
What a great buy, that is a wonderful set.

Offline Morgan

• Playmo Lover
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2007, 20:28:43 »
I must concur with all the others, you got yourself a very good bargain there!!

I once had the opportunity to by a MiB set like that for 50 Euro, but I turned it down.

Offline Hadoque

• Capitaine de la "Licorne"
  • Playmo Master
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2007, 00:56:31 »
Great find and for very few bucks, AW!!

I have most of the pieces I want from that set;  a year ago the gentleman's blue hat came up between a whole pile of hats I bought on ebay, and I found another one, the curved walking-stick and both the ladies' white and green hats in another pile about a month ago...

... I even had the blue tapered gentleman's hat, but ~*ahem*~ I confess that I did something rather terrible with it before realising how rare an item it was...
I painted it black! :doh: (I needed a hat for my Pilgrim custom a few years ago and that one seemed to be just right. :-[)
The hat is very suited for pilgrims or colonists. And if it may be a comfort: I like your black version better then the original!  The pilgrim himself is very nice too!  8-)
(btw, there are new trousers available which resemble a lot the style you painted on the klicky: pirate-special 4654 and the new pirate-sets later this year)... have you perhaps thought about giving the man a new pair of pants?  - just a suggestion of course!  ;) )
« Last Edit: February 23, 2007, 01:05:25 by hadoque »

Resistance is futile, you will be boarded!

Offline arab warrior

• Playmo Lover
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2007, 06:48:46 »
I didn't mention the price i paid because i wanted to make you all envious and jealous, but just to let you know how well pleased i was with myself when i finally got this set.

Rob

Offline Sylvia

• Administrator
  • Playmo Master
    • Just For Kl!cks
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2007, 13:23:30 »
It's nice to hear when another collector finds something rare at a reasonable price.  :yup:

Gives us all hope that we can get lucky one day too, Rob! ;)

Offline arab warrior

• Playmo Lover
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2007, 14:10:35 »
Oh, in that case.... a few months ago i bought a schooner for just 12 euro :-[
It was 90% complete and the rest i traded with Susan, all the traded parts were brand new, even the stickers!!

If someone is looking for something special and tells me what they are willing to spend, i will keep an eye out for it.
Can't promise anything though ::)

Rob