Author Topic: WHAT'S WRONG WITH PLAYMOBIL  (Read 44148 times)

Offline playmofire

• Klicky Firemeister
  • Playmo Guru
    • Copt Hewick Volunteer Fire Brigade - probably the world's smallest fire brigade!
Re: WHAT'S WRONG WITH PLAYMOBIL
« Reply #80 on: March 24, 2008, 19:55:35 »

Hello yet again, Gordon ...  :wave:

The point that I was addressing was your "coffee tin" example ... :)

And you were addressing it in such a way as to ignore the whole point of my post, i.e the fact that someone may use an item for a purpose different from that intended by the item's producer does not alter the purpose of the item.  Moreover, your argument about motor vehicles and tanks is flawed and seems to me more a points scoring effort than any thing else.

However, if you would like to discuss a statement made by some unknown author, translated from the German into English by some unknown translator, then lets look at (and understand) WHAT they were saying and WHY!

First of all, to mention Hans Beck by name as the "idea" person and not identify Horst Brandstätter as the "owner" and the one who provided the "production capacity required" and having "the uncompromising readiness to take risks," might suggest that this translation was NOT the "end result" of a Geobra statement ...  :hmm:

Clearly, provenance is all, so I attach a scan of the original document and the covering letter.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2008, 07:01:21 by playmofire »
“Today well-lived makes every yesterday a day of happiness to remember and every tomorrow a vision of hope.”

Offline Tim_w

• This and That
  • Playmo Addict
« Reply #81 on: March 25, 2008, 00:06:20 »
Hello, Martin and Tim_W ...  :wave: :wave:

For anyone who may have taken this friendly banter as a serious and/or hostile discussion ... I APOLOGIZE! ...  :-[

As several have already stated ... THIS IS FUN !!! ...  :love:

I have changed the red to green in the quote, its a more neutral colour than red.

You will have to forgive me but i don't really see this as fun and it appeared from the outset to be a serious discussion :hmm:. Simply picking away at insignificant things of little or no importance just for the sake of it is such a shame ? It baffles me why on earth this has managed to go on for 6 pages if is of no importance to you Richard ? Its sad to see that this is what passes as fun on Playmofriends these days.
When i come here for fun its to look at the work people do with their Playmobil, the story's they create and the customs they make. Will we ever see the day when people go on for 6 pages discussing what some of our members have created with their Playmobil ? I very much doubt it, but i guess i can dream...

Tim
« Last Edit: March 25, 2008, 00:20:50 by Tim_w »

(28/5/03/850)

Offline Richard

• Retired Playmobil
  • Wargamer
  • Playmo Master
    • Garden Wargaming
« Reply #82 on: March 25, 2008, 01:01:44 »

ENOUGH !!!

And, yes ... It's in RED !!!

Playmobil is a toy! We are adults who still play with toys! If we are also adults who take our playing with toys so seriously that we can't have fun with ourselves, with each other and with our toys, then perhaps we need to ask ourselves some serious questions about who we really are.

Look at those smiling Klicky faces!

Is there ANYONE who can look at those little smiling Klicky faces and not feel good?

Is there ANYONE who can look at those little smiling Klicky faces and not think of fun?

Is there ANYONE who can look at those little smiling Klicky faces and be serious?

My friends, I am surprised and also a bit disheartened by the direction that this thread has taken.

Perhaps, Martin should lock this topic (or maybe even delete it)! And, maybe I should, as Tim_W has suggested, "move on" ...

Good bye ...  :wave:

Offline playmofire

• Klicky Firemeister
  • Playmo Guru
    • Copt Hewick Volunteer Fire Brigade - probably the world's smallest fire brigade!
« Reply #83 on: March 25, 2008, 01:53:16 »

ENOUGH !!!

And, yes ... It's in RED !!!

Playmobil is a toy! We are adults who still play with toys! If we are also adults who take our playing with toys so seriously that we can't have fun with ourselves, with each other and with our toys, then perhaps we need to ask ourselves some serious questions about who we really are.

Look at those smiling Klicky faces!

Is there ANYONE who can look at those little smiling Klicky faces and not feel good?

Is there ANYONE who can look at those little smiling Klicky faces and not think of fun?

Is there ANYONE who can look at those little smiling Klicky faces and be serious?

My friends, I am surprised and also a bit disheartened by the direction that this thread has taken.

Perhaps, Martin should lock this topic (or maybe even delete it)! And, maybe I should, as Tim_W has suggested, "move on" ...

It seems that the fault lies with everyone other than Richard.  However, if things are going to be "fun", then everyone taking part needs to know that.  I understood I was taking part in a serious discussion on Playmobil, although that doesn't mean that there isn't room for levity in the course of it.  Certainly the thread started off seriously enough and never at any time has a sign gone up saying, "It's just for fun now!", or some such. 
“Today well-lived makes every yesterday a day of happiness to remember and every tomorrow a vision of hope.”

Offline macgayver

• MrPainterElf
  • Playmo Addict
  • www.macgayverplaymobil.be
    • Macgayverplaymobil
« Reply #84 on: March 25, 2008, 10:31:44 »

been away for the weekend  and also supprised on wot happening here
I share your feelings Richard

dunnot believe locking or removing is the answer , it's the easy way

yet dunnot have much time to reply decently

but will tonight

this still is a serious and funny discussion

learned and learning a lot
One picture say's more then a thousand words ;)

Offline macgayver

• MrPainterElf
  • Playmo Addict
  • www.macgayverplaymobil.be
    • Macgayverplaymobil
« Reply #85 on: March 25, 2008, 13:50:02 »
ps : share your feelings too Gordon  ;)
One picture say's more then a thousand words ;)

Offline gloobey

• Playmo Fanatic
    • My Illustration Website
« Reply #86 on: March 26, 2008, 00:43:07 »
Hello all, I hope there are no permanent bad feelings over this thread and its discussion? This has been the friendliest board I've ever been on...we really don't have to agree about Playmobil's building aspect. We just need to enjoy the toys and play as we see fit (and hopefully share good pics as we take them).

Best wishes to everyone here!
What's the point of going, if you can't get there on a train?

Offline Donmobil

• Playmo Fanatic
« Reply #87 on: March 27, 2008, 03:43:08 »
I have always felt that LEGO is more consentrating on the construction aspects for their sets and minifigs are really along for the ride.  Getting LEGO to release minifig sets is like pulling teeth.  When Pirates, Space and Castle were the main themes, LEGO issued sets with just minifigs and extras.

Playmobil is just the opposite, their sets are based around their klickies.  A wonderful difference.  And maybe just enought difference to keep them both at the top of the toy market.  Also the extent they go to ensure quality.

My 2¢ worth.
Donmobil

(edited for spelling - Martin)
« Last Edit: March 27, 2008, 12:55:17 by Martin Milner »

Offline Pyrrhus

• Playmo Fanatic
  • Che Clickara
« Reply #88 on: May 10, 2008, 05:41:58 »
Well, quite off this old topic :-[, but here is my complaint:

why so many gold swords in the Playmobil sets, including a gold katana???  :hissyfit: :hissyfit: :hissyfit: :hissyfit: :hissyfit: :hissyfit:

All swords should be silver, the Bronze age passed long before the most ancient time represented by the clikies!!! :hissyfit: :hissyfit: :hissyfit: :hissyfit: :hissyfit: :hissyfit:

Well, that's my complaint, will try to keep the calm now  8-) 8-)
No trouble with the armor, helmets, or shields, they were sometimes made of bronze even after iron and later steel replaced bronze as the material for offensive weapons.

Offline Pyrrhus

• Playmo Fanatic
  • Che Clickara
« Reply #89 on: May 10, 2008, 07:26:42 »
Oops, there are clickies which belong to the Bronze ages: I was forgetting the Egyptians!!! :-[

Being somewhat ocious tonight, I read this discussion and think that this discussion on construction toys is mostly on definitions.

I suppose a construction toy is one in which you construct a building (or ships). We certainly contruct buildings with Playmobil, so it would be a construction toy.

On the other side, we have that there are many sets with no construction at all. Those cannot be construction toys (except we acept dressing as construction... but this is a seoparate matter of definition... let's by the moment say that dressing is not the same of construction, just by noting there are different words for each action).

It comes the question of degrees. Yeah, it seems that a product with individual bricks leaves you more possibilities of construction than a product with four walls, a floor and a roof (of course it is an oversimplification). Indeed you have to construct more in the former than in the later. Thus, the toy with individual bricks should be more "of construction" than that with the four walls. Even then, we construct with Playmobil.

I am only using the dictionary to state what Playmobil is. You can construct with Playmobil sometimes but not always, Playmobil is a construction toy, but not just this. Can at the same time Playmobil be a construction toy and not being? Well, if one considers the Playmobil line as all its products, we must say it is partly a construction toy (for sets with construction) and partly not. We can also measure "how of construction" Playmobil is when compared with other toys by taking into account the number of originally disassembled parts that constitute each building.

Language is problematic, sometimes can make us fight defending extremes because there is no word to define intermediate "greys", or things that have one part of a way and the other of other way. As the now defunct great evolutionary biologist Stephen Jay Gould said: "it was both things and none at the same time" (when discussing if corals were a single individual or a colony, given that a discussion raised supporting each hypothesis: corals were made of individual parts each comparable to a complete medusa -their relatives- but at the same time, anatomically and physiologically united by a common and continuous "gut"; as shown by Gould, all this problem vanishes if we do not to force reality into names, but names into reality). 8}