Author Topic: 70894 / 5320 Dining Room Comparison  (Read 2028 times)

Offline Hadoque

• Capitaine de la "Licorne"
  • Playmo Master
Re: 70894 / 5320 Dining Room Comparison
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2022, 18:13:19 »
Thanks for the detailed review.
The misprinting and cardboard/paper rugs are so....  ::)

Resistance is futile, you will be boarded!

Offline Eplay

• Playmo Lover
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2022, 18:56:55 »
Yes! Thank you for the review!!

Offline Ismene

• Playmo Master
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2022, 21:35:35 »

I had actually wondered about the sofa, since I looked at the instructions and they included assembling the sofa whereas on the old one the seating didn't come off.

That's odd. It doesn't come apart. The dining chairs came in two pieces.
The issue with the hard plastic couch is that it looks very shiny next to the softer armchair.

With the prices the original sets were getting on the secondary market, I am very glad there is a re-release of many Victorian sets

True, although I would have preferred the blue dining set because I don't have that one.

If they re-release the fence, I'm buying multiples.

Ironically, the print on the rugs is high quality. I'm not sure if I'm supposed to frame them since they fail as rugs.

Offline Pynedor

• Playmo Master
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2022, 12:16:30 »
Thanks for the detailed review and comparison pictures. If I buy any of the re-released sets in this theme, I'd probably go for this one. That really is too bad about the printing issues and rug material though. :-\
~Pynedor~

Offline Macruran

• desperate but not serious
  • Playmo Master
  • Hiya!
    • my incomplete collection spreadsheet
« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2022, 15:14:02 »
 :thanks: for the review! I was wavering about getting some of these Vicky sets, and you've pushed me firmly into the No camp.  :'( but also  8-)
"We like things in little." - G. Stein  
 :roman:

Offline GrahamB

• Playmo Master
    • Playmofanatic
« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2022, 08:46:05 »
I really like the way you did the side-by-side comparison. We should do that for all the reissues!
Shame about the quality issues, but some of the differences between old and new (such as the shade of the dark brown parts) could be put down to normal variation between batches of ABS plastic.
At that moment the ship suddenly stopped rocking and swaying, the engine pitch settled down to a gentle hum. 'Hey Ford.' said Zaphod, 'that sounds good. Have you worked out the controls on this boat?' 'No,' said Ford, 'I just stopped fiddling with them.' (With thanks to Douglas Adams)

Offline Ismene

• Playmo Master
« Reply #16 on: March 27, 2022, 09:39:05 »
I really like the way you did the side-by-side comparison. We should do that for all the reissues!
Shame about the quality issues, but some of the differences between old and new (such as the shade of the dark brown parts) could be put down to normal variation between batches of ABS plastic.

I'm planning to do a review for the bedroom. Someone else will have to do the others because I only ordered these two.

Yeah, I did consider that the brown may be a batch variation. It's not particularly noticeable, except in the little table because the new one is shiny.
Even if it was a completely different color, I don't mind different. It's different and worse that I mind. I might see if DS has that clock face. All my clock faces are off-center, but this one is bad.

Offline Oliver

• Playmo Addict
« Reply #17 on: March 27, 2022, 11:36:38 »
That's odd. It doesn't come apart. The dining chairs came in two pieces.
The issue with the hard plastic couch is that it looks very shiny next to the softer armchair.

The dining chairs always came like that. Are the dining chair cushions the rubber, or is it hard plastic?

Something I never understood was that they changed the dining chairs for the 'blue' living room set. My only thought - as a rough child - is that the newer design would be harder to break because the seat was solid

Offline Ismene

• Playmo Master
« Reply #18 on: March 27, 2022, 17:27:54 »
The dining chairs always came like that. Are the dining chair cushions the rubber, or is it hard plastic?

They're rubbery soft plastic, like the original. Same with the footstool cushion.

I looked at PlaymoDB, and there is a part number for the couch base alone. I guess it's for internal purposes, before they mold on the cushions. I'm not sure why they suddenly switched to hard plastic.

Offline bml87

• Mayor of Deadwood
  • Playmo Addict
  • Collecting Western and animal themes.
« Reply #19 on: March 27, 2022, 20:14:39 »
Strange you've got a cardboard carpet, because mine has the same type of fabric as the original one.. Which brings me to the question: could it be that the Victorian sets which are sold in the US are also produced in the US with cardboard carpets?

Or am I dreaming and there's no Playmobil production plant in the US? I kinda forgot? In that case it's weird you received a cardboard carpet....
Boris from Belgium - My collection - My dioramas:  Western Town II & North American forest