Author Topic: Random observations about Novelmore Knights & Burnham Raiders  (Read 5313 times)

Offline StJohn

• Playmo Master
Re: 70539 Burnham Raiders Bastion
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2020, 07:37:02 »
Isn't it meant to have a similar solution to the holes - with the 2 gold staffs?

You're absolutely right, Oliver – it is just me who's leaving all four holes empty! :-[ Thank you for paying attention. :wave:

Offline Oliver

• Playmo Addict
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2020, 11:39:05 »
You're absolutely right, Oliver – it is just me who's leaving all four holes empty! :-[ Thank you for paying attention. :wave:

:) No problem!

I'm surprised there isn't a door to be honest - I just think from a play point of view it would be good (especially if they made a battering ram)

Offline Ismene

• Playmo Master
Re: Random observations about Novelmore Knights & Burnham Raiders
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2020, 03:04:34 »
I love the lady, but the covid mask is a bit weird. It seems like it's part of her underdress.

Offline hauden_lukas

• Playmo Addict
« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2020, 05:11:21 »
Re: Pins
It is quite simple to remove the pins and sand the spot so you don't see there was a pin before.

Offline Oliver

• Playmo Addict
« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2020, 14:31:30 »
Putting PM stickers on is a very stressful situation, like Bond trying to defuse the bomb at the end of Goldfinger or something.

:lol: honestly, they're the worst. For a while they seemed to print them on thicker paper, and they often had a little notch to line it up which made it easier, but I think some newer sets have returned to the more 'free style' method that relies on my limited skills.

Online tahra

• Playmo Guru
    • playkingdoms
« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2020, 15:03:04 »
:lol: honestly, they're the worst. For a while they seemed to print them on thicker paper, and they often had a little notch to line it up which made it easier, but I think some newer sets have returned to the more 'free style' method that relies on my limited skills.

Completely agree :(

Offline StJohn

• Playmo Master
70390 Burnham Raiders Lava Mine
« Reply #16 on: November 08, 2020, 23:37:52 »
It is time to talk about 70390:

consisting of the following parts:

I like this set a lot! If I ever were to stage a Rhinegold in Playmobil, this tower would be centre piece for Nibelheim, the underground realm where the enslaved Nibelung dwarves toil [Wagner's take on the price of industrialisation]: it is just wonderfully gritty, with a play function that works well – the bucket can be lowered into the basement that holds lava, and you get a bag of small chunks of the hot stuff for taking out and dispensing:

Let me give an overview of the tower on its base. The big barrel of 70539 fits this set much better than the bastion, and Sulphur, the blacksmith from 70221, clearly should join the action of this set (click to enlarge):

I am just not sure why the orange lava colour should spill over onto the baseplate. The very same base, or so it seems, features in many other sets (look here for one example), so I thought of swapping bases, so that the grass can just be grass and not hot lava. Unfortunately, that is not possible, for the base of 70390 differs in one small detail from all the other, seemingly identical bases, meaning that the tower can only fit the baseplate with the orange "grass". So be it, then.

(Can you spot the difference?)

I dreamt about combining the tower with Steck, and it can be attached but doesn't fit easily because of its irregular size, so will not pursue this:

Absolutely brilliant are of course the two Burnham Raiders that come with the set, Magmathon and Wylie:

So many great features! The printing, the black hood, the black head, the black cape ... Magmathon is surely the best netherworld denizen that Playmobil has ever created! But what is his skin colour – black (face, hands), or red (legs)? Let me give another picture (Sulphur just doesn't want to leave):

I can assure you that Magmathon and Wylie will look better without their silly loincloths, but haven't yet dared to take them apart to remove the offending garments ... just don't want to damage Magmathon's unique head. Perhaps I shall use scissors, for once.

There is some useless stuff (for me) with the set as well, such as a small dragon and a shooting toy:

And then there are the two Novelmore assailants (for battle shall be!) Ramsey and Bertram, bringing some artillery of their own:

Did you notice the difference between the front and back of the box (first two images above)? At the front, both assailants are "Caucasian" but at the back one (Bertram) is dark skinned, as he is in reality:

Clearly something changed in the design process but wasn't fully implemented in the art work. Too bad Bertram is wearing a white undershirt (just imagine that body with brown skin underneath the shirt!), and suffers from a side pin. He and his colleague therefore have to go.

All in all a great set, I'm happy with it.

Best wishes :wave: StJohn

Offline Oliver

• Playmo Addict
« Reply #17 on: November 09, 2020, 03:26:34 »
Of course the two baseplates are slightly different  :lol:  :lol: Sometimes they just baffle me!

Offline GrahamB

• Playmo Master
    • Playmofanatic
« Reply #18 on: November 09, 2020, 07:29:21 »
Great review again, StJohn!
I thought that baseplate was another re-run with a new paint job, but for some reason geobra changed the mold!
If you don't want the dragon, I can give it a good home!  ;D
At that moment the ship suddenly stopped rocking and swaying, the engine pitch settled down to a gentle hum. 'Hey Ford.' said Zaphod, 'that sounds good. Have you worked out the controls on this boat?' 'No,' said Ford, 'I just stopped fiddling with them.' (With thanks to Douglas Adams)

Online tahra

• Playmo Guru
    • playkingdoms
« Reply #19 on: November 09, 2020, 09:06:47 »
Wow, those klickys are gorgeous!  :love:   I agree with you on the loincloths belt thingies. I don't really favor that sculpt. (If you don't want the masked gey, I'd be happy to keep him..  I love the torso, especially.)

It's REALLY odd that the front and back of the box don't match contents. Correction, not just odd, it's wrong and serious. IMO.

I LOVE the one from the mine thing... I don't plan to get the set though, I believe there are already TWO of those baseplates here...  (but I tried to get the relevant mine parts)

How does that change affect the steck compatibility in the new one?  As far as I remember, you can do crenellaions on those old ones, with a 1x1 tower just standing inside...

Thank you for the detailed details  ;D   (my wallet disagrees, it's afraid that your excellent reviews may change my mind....)