Author Topic: Random observations about Novelmore Knights & Burnham Raiders  (Read 5316 times)

Offline StJohn

• Playmo Master
A few boxes of this theme have entered my home. I normally focus on figures (for reasons of space  :-[) – from DS, magazines, etc. – but couldn't resist getting some actual sets this time, mainly, but not exclusively, because of the figures, also because I found them on sale. The big castles came early but have left again, unopened in the case of 70220: it is just too big to contemplate opening and actually setting it up. :lol: (but I will hold on to the DS wall extensions for that castle, which I consider very pretty. More later). The smaller sets, too, will have to go in part: the "buildings" and vehicles almost certainly, which are basically repeats of older sets, although they come in attractive new colours. All in all I like this new "knightish" world: the Da Vinci/Renaissance touch adds a bit of new flavour. But they could have tuned down the manicheism just a notch. The dualism – fire:water, arsonists:firemen – is just too strong to my taste, for what that is worth. I guess the target audience sees play in such stark terms, but I am old enough to remember when the knight world of Playmobil used to comprise 3 factions, and with that lots of subtleties in their various configurations.

So what follows are not reviews in the proper sense (hence my choice of sub-forum), and each post will take its time: I am much in awe of the speed with which some of you manage to produce contents here! :)9 My pace is unfortunately slower.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2020, 05:27:11 by GrahamB »

Offline StJohn

• Playmo Master
70538 Novelmore Angriffstrupp
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2020, 23:03:01 »
First up is 70538:

consisting of the following parts:

My heart went out to Faylinn, the female archer, and in particular her wonderful dress: finally a long garment with sewn-on plates for the perfect Eastern warrior! The dress does not disappoint, but the body unfortunately has one of them nasty pins. I complained about them before in this forum, and still utterly detest them. But in this instance it will have to stay, for lack of a suitable alternative. The head is a bit ... extreme, but acceptable. It is made of blue plastic, with the face printed on.

The mobile archers' shield (first appearing in 3889 of 1997, then, many years later, differently printed in 6041) is quite nice as well.

The other figure, the engineer Norman (also appearing in 70224) is likewise equipped with a terrible pin! Pin in place in 70224, too. Just look at the poor fellow: his right arm is basically ... incapacitated. For that reason he, and his catapult, have to go. :hmm:

I conclude this post with another picture of poor Norman, this time without his breastplate, and with a matching body without the pin. I have no idea where that body comes from, but can see that it is very nice. :love:

Offline StJohn

• Playmo Master
Re: 70538 Novelmore Angriffstrupp
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2020, 05:33:40 »
I have no idea where that body comes from,

:doh: I should have known: from the 9836 army building pack.

Offline GrahamB

• Playmo Master
    • Playmofanatic
Re: Random observations about Novelmore Knights & Burnham Raiders
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2020, 06:59:16 »
Faylinn is wearing a face-mask. How appropriate!

I had to look up 'manicheism' as I am not hot on ancient Persian religions, but its a very apt word for the Novelmore world.

I agree with you about those pins and the restrictions they place on arm movement, just like those police gun holsters (those are easy to remove, at least). Interesting that geobra produced 2 torsos, identical apart from the hip pin.

I'm looking forward to hearing more from you about the Novelmore sets, StJohn. I have bought Firehorses and a Kahboom figure from DS, but this is not a theme from which I will be buying whole sets... until it turns up in secondhand eBay lots in a couple of years time, maybe.
At that moment the ship suddenly stopped rocking and swaying, the engine pitch settled down to a gentle hum. 'Hey Ford.' said Zaphod, 'that sounds good. Have you worked out the controls on this boat?' 'No,' said Ford, 'I just stopped fiddling with them.' (With thanks to Douglas Adams)

Offline Macruran

• desperate but not serious
  • Playmo Master
  • Hiya!
    • my incomplete collection spreadsheet
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2020, 06:37:36 »
I too appreciate this deep dive into a theme.  :thanks:
"We like things in little." - G. Stein  
 :roman:

Offline StJohn

• Playmo Master
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2020, 20:44:48 »
Faylinn is wearing a face-mask. How appropriate!

:lol: How true :(

I have bought Firehorses and a Kahboom figure from DS

I also only have the Kahboom figure, not the small set with the fireworks in which he comes. That seems nice, though. Kahboom is fun and suitably loud; I think the legs and body work fine as well, if not better without the metal thing around his waist:

Did somebody mention that Khaboom has a regular face at the back of his Exorcist-style spinning head?

Offline StJohn

• Playmo Master
70539 Burnham Raiders Bastion
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2020, 23:24:37 »
Up next is 70539:

consisting of the following parts:

I need to level with you that, of my new sets, I like this one least – one pregnant reason for this to be flagged up later in this post. Don't get me wrong, I'm still happy with it, but it is not as good as the others, mainly because the figures aren't very appealing.

I got it because of an old love for the Barbarian Ruin 4435 of 2005, and this set is a reissue of that glorious building, albeit in different colours, illustrated here for the big chunks, with 4435 in the top, and 70539 in the bottom row:

The inner architecture is identical, with the floorboards in a different, dark-red colour. The building is constructed in System X, with the yellow and red connectors. The stonework facade is dark grey (anthrazit in German), and that colour matches the Burnham Raiders castle 70221, as do the dark-red floorboards. This dark grey is the same colour as that of the walls of earlier Playmobil castles of the "dark" side, such as 3269 Dragon Rock Castle or 4866 Falcon Knight's Castle. The fact that the 70539 stone facade is colour matched to lots of interesting castle walls is the main reason why I wanted to get hold of this set.

The 70539 woodwork facade, by contrast, is in a new shade of brown that does not match any existing System-X walls, as far as I know. (The wooden facade of its predecessor 4435 was of the same colour as the wooden walls of the Viking Longhouse 3151, etc.)

If the building is the same, its furnishings are not. I miss the greenery that appears on the walls of 4435, and also the big bull-faced banner that hangs over the door of the woodwork facade in that set. In 70539 we also get a banner (with the Burnham Raiders "heraldry"), but now attached to the stonework facade, affixed at the top with a two-part flagpole (here illustrated with a different banner):

The flagpole can be slotted into a cleft at the top of the stone facade. This indentation was of course already in place in 4435, but back then nothing was connected to it. Seeing this now makes me wonder whether the top of the stone facade of 4435 was actually left unfinished: it looks as if it was meant to be crowned with some feature that has been cancelled before the artwork was created, but only after the design of the facade and the production of its mould had gone ahead [see Appendix]. What was meant to appear at the top is anyone's guess, but I seriously doubt that this flagpole was originally intended – it feels ... improvised.

Just like 4435, 70539 comes with four figures. But whilst 4435 gave us a cozy household of barbarians, 70539 brings us two mini-factions of combatants, two against two, and armed to the teeth. Three of them are not particularly noteworthy. On the side of the assailants we have Francis, who is almost identical (except for the neckpiece and belt) to the fat guy in the army building pack 9836, and Shiko, with an Asian head but otherwise quite similar to the dark-haired one of the same pack. On the side of the defendants we get Lucifex, known from the castle 70221 and a recent magazine. Luckily the fourth figure, Flinton, is something special:

I don't like his neckpiece much (previously seen on Grimmel in 70039), nor his chicken legs, but do get very excited about his legionnaire's arms. Just imagine a whole lot of them, and matching legs :roman: ... Please note that with my figure the body was printed WAY out of centre – the source of my frustration I mentioned at the start.

From the accessories I only highlight the big barrel in black, here shown with its twin from 3627, etc. The older barrel was printed but this one comes with a sticker.

That's as much as I wanted to share about this set. Lots of it will have to go, but not the stone facade, or a pair of arms.

Appendix: There is another unexplained oddity about the 4435/70539 stone facade – the doorframe. As you can see below, there are four holes for hinge clips, two on either side. The bottom ones are framed by protrusions above and below, which clearly suggests that the clips were meant to support the hinges of a double door, which then wasn't produced (and no Playmobil door fits this frame). I asked a friendly barbarian to demonstrate what they then did with the doorframe for set 4435: the bottom holes were left empty, and halberts are fitted into the clips of the top holes, resting on the top knob of the bottom holes.

Clearly, this is an improvisation (but a much better one than in 70539, where all four holes are simply left empty). So we conclude that the stone facade was originally meant to look quite different than what we see in the sets: with double doors, and a mysterious crowning piece at the top. I have no idea why this wasn't executed as planned.

Offline Tiermann

• Playmo Master
  • Playmosaurus friendus
    • Animobil
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2020, 01:32:44 »
Those are interesting points about the ruin. It does seem like more was intended. I really like the Burnham troops and will have to look into getting the big black barrel from parts some time. I don't think I need this set. I did get the full set for Kaboom. The fireworks are a nice bit, and explosives can come in handy.

Offline Oliver

• Playmo Addict
Re: 70539 Burnham Raiders Bastion
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2020, 05:09:11 »

Clearly, this is an improvisation (but a much better one than in 70539, where all four holes are simply left empty).

Isn't it meant to have a similar solution to the holes - with the 2 gold staffs? It's annoying to leave holes in the facade, surely they could just make a little piece to clip in and cover it up?

It looks like a fun set, but I already have 3274 and 3839, so I think I have enough ruins  :lol:

I like the barrel in black, and to be honest I don't like the flame design so I'm happy it's a stick rather than a print (I hate putting stickers on, but on the other hand I'm often not a fan of the graphics they use....)

Offline Macruran

• desperate but not serious
  • Playmo Master
  • Hiya!
    • my incomplete collection spreadsheet
Re: 70539 Burnham Raiders Bastion
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2020, 05:48:23 »
I hate putting stickers on

Putting PM stickers on is a very stressful situation, like Bond trying to defuse the bomb at the end of Goldfinger or something.

"We like things in little." - G. Stein  
 :roman: