Author Topic: 4294 Lighthouse.  (Read 14417 times)

Offline Sir Gareth

• Playmo Addict
Re: 4294 Lighthouse.
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2007, 09:23:00 »
.. as to the missing hook - the picture on the box clearly shows one ???  ???

Bogro

The hook as shown on the box back image is actually a pulley and if you look at the box front image and on the plans it is hooked through the eye on the arm of the hoist. There are lots of Playmobil hooks out there that they could of added to this rather than giving the pulley 2 uses.
I'm only human, born to make mistakes.

Offline EDWINMODELS

• Playmo Fanatic
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2007, 09:24:56 »
Hi Sir Gareth

And thanks for the review it certainly looks a great piece. I wonder if this could be used in a Roman scene although not quite the Lighthouse of Alexandria - I think that was the first big one ? - Craig

Offline Sir Gareth

• Playmo Addict
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2007, 09:43:19 »
 This set isn't system X, there are no red connectors and only 2 yellow connectors are used to join the deck to the light house base, hence a quick build time.

There are only 8 light wall sections used in this set to build the basic lighthouse and each piece clips together. There are also only 3 rock sections, 2 clip onto the base and the other is the one for the cave opening.

I was a bit concerned after I built this set has to how I was going to take it apart and put it back into the box. The only way to do it is to take a flat screwdriver and push on one of the pegs to get it out of it's slot and pull on the part you want to remove. To my surprise it came apart very easily and without damage and went back into the box in just 3 built up sections.

Gordon, the part number for the light unit is 30 80 2452, It looks like one bulb remains on and 2 led's flash  on and off in a certain sequence to give the flickering effect.

Offline Sir Gareth

• Playmo Addict
« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2007, 10:27:39 »

Regarding the figures, I respectfully disagree, Gary ... :(

Ralf Gemein created one of his imaginary Playmobil "Specials" of a conquistador. Ralf made his conquistador from existing Playmobil parts and in my opinion it looks a lot better than any of these new figures. (see attachment)

Hi Richard,

I would rather of seen more use of clip on armour for these new Spanish soldiers it does indeed give a better look to the figures. Playmobil could of done a lot better with the officer in this set and it wouldn't of taken much to improve him. These figures certainly aren't the best Playmobil have produced and  probably wouldn't feature in my top 50 of Playmobil figures.

I would of liked to of seen a shorter version of the original Playmo chest plate made, so it would fit just above the sword belt. You can find one in the new Knight special 4666 that is the right colour but it would work better shorter I think for these new soldiers.

Offline playmofire

• Klicky Firemeister
  • Playmo Guru
    • Copt Hewick Volunteer Fire Brigade - probably the world's smallest fire brigade!
« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2007, 10:49:03 »
Gordon, the part number for the light unit is 30 80 2452, It looks like one bulb remains on and 2 led's flash  on and off in a certain sequence to give the flickering effect.

Thanks, Gary. It will go on my next DS order. :)
“Today well-lived makes every yesterday a day of happiness to remember and every tomorrow a vision of hope.”

Offline Richard

• Retired Playmobil
  • Wargamer
  • Playmo Master
    • Garden Wargaming
« Reply #15 on: September 30, 2007, 13:28:12 »
This set isn't system X, there are no red connectors and only 2 yellow connectors are used to join the deck to the light house base, hence a quick build time.

There are only 8 light wall sections used in this set to build the basic lighthouse and each piece clips together. There are also only 3 rock sections, 2 clip onto the base and the other is the one for the cave opening.

I was a bit concerned after I built this set has to how I was going to take it apart and put it back into the box. The only way to do it is to take a flat screwdriver and push on one of the pegs to get it out of it's slot and pull on the part you want to remove. To my surprise it came apart very easily and without damage and went back into the box in just 3 built up sections.

Thanks for the explanation about the construction of this set, Garry. Playmobil did the same darn thing (using clips) with their Roman Colosseum ... :(
(I sanded the clips slightly on the Colosseum so that they still hold, but come apart a bit easier.)

I don't know who designs these things, but someone needs to give these "designers" some lessons in the use of Steck and SystemX. I was very disappointed in the construction part of Playmobil's "design team" when I was assembling the Roman Colosseum. Seems like the same incompetent bozos were allowed to show their lack of talent once again with the new Lighthouse assembly ...  >:(

Hi Richard,

I would rather of seen more use of clip on armour for these new Spanish soldiers it does indeed give a better look to the figures. Playmobil could of done a lot better with the officer in this set and it wouldn't of taken much to improve him. These figures certainly aren't the best Playmobil have produced and  probably wouldn't feature in my top 50 of Playmobil figures.

I would of liked to of seen a shorter version of the original Playmo chest plate made, so it would fit just above the sword belt. You can find one in the new Knight special 4666 that is the right colour but it would work better shorter I think for these new soldiers.

BIG improvement, Garry!

Your "upgraded" Conquistador is so much better than Playmobil's sorry looking figure! ...  :wow:

Neither the "clip on" construction nor the poorly designed figures can be blamed on Playmobil's constant search to save money ... This is just an unfortunate example of a lack of talent (and very poor management) of Playmobil's design team.

I hope that Zirndorf reads this and wakes up!

Thanks again for a really great review, Garry!

All the best,
Richard

« Last Edit: September 30, 2007, 22:32:45 by Richard »

Offline Sylvia

• Administrator
  • Playmo Master
    • Just For Kl!cks
« Reply #16 on: September 30, 2007, 15:26:43 »
Very detailed and interesting review, Garry! Thanks for taking the time to photograph all the various elements and explain the construction.  :)

I've been trying to resist buying any large sets due to a severe lack of storage space, but I'm very tempted to get the lighthouse now. ;)

The neck ruff Martin added to the officer figure does seem to be the ideal finishing touch. :yup:

Offline CountBogro

• desperate poet
  • Playmo Master
« Reply #17 on: October 22, 2007, 05:35:19 »
... These figures certainly aren't the best Playmobil have produced and  probably wouldn't feature in my top 50 of Playmobil figures. ...

Sorry Gareth and Richard. I disagree. I really like the new figures. I really do, allthough I must admit that the ruff would indeed improve the figure a lot. The only thing I don't like is the officers hat. Somehow it looks wrong to me, but I think that has been discussed elsewhere before.

Bogro
... and then dusk came and brought despair.

Offline playmofire

• Klicky Firemeister
  • Playmo Guru
    • Copt Hewick Volunteer Fire Brigade - probably the world's smallest fire brigade!
« Reply #18 on: October 22, 2007, 06:38:29 »
The only thing I don't like is the officers hat. Somehow it looks wrong to me, but I think that has been discussed elsewhere before.

Bogro

It is wrong, about 200 years wrong. :o
“Today well-lived makes every yesterday a day of happiness to remember and every tomorrow a vision of hope.”

Offline Richard

• Retired Playmobil
  • Wargamer
  • Playmo Master
    • Garden Wargaming
« Reply #19 on: October 22, 2007, 12:30:50 »

It is wrong, about 200 years wrong. :o

Thank you, Gordon ... You are absolutely correct!

I don't understand why Playmobil does things like this ...  ???

German artist, Ralf Gemein is no stranger to Zirndorf. In fact, several of his paintings adorn their walls.

Ralf has freely given them (and all of us) an incredible number of his imaginary Playmobil sets constructed entirely from available Playmobil parts.

Please see attachment to understand how easy it would have been for Playmobil's designers to have correctly produced the figures for this set! ...

Thanks again, Gordon!

All the best,
richard